Heeeeeellllllllllllllllllp

techno-terminator

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:09
guys I've hit the brick wall again

Trying to do this Macro thing and not coping at all well

Can't shoot it manually on the K-x - don't know how to set it up there at all - have tried but there's too many things for me to have to set - I don't know where to start.

so went back to the K-x and put it to macro - very difficult to get it focused and it insisted on using flash

NOW how can I manage this - instructions in very very simple terms please .

These are what I did get - and I know they won't do

I would like to get the whisk through it's 'working end ' and crop it at the handle

I feel defeat staring me in the face again Part of it is this insistence on abstract - and that's just not me - my mind doesn't work like his
let the education continue

proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs

Father Ted

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:18
Macro always gives a very short DoF.
I think if you want to get the whole whisk you'd be very lucky.
I've only tried this sort of thing a few times, but I'm always amazed at how small the DoF actually is.

Try in manual, on a tripod, with small aperture and long exposure. Oh, and focus 1/3 up the whisk.
That might work
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

nass

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:27
Your assignment is an abstract macro?
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:27
What lens are you using?
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr

techno-terminator

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:32
Father Ted wrote:
Macro always gives a very short DoF.
I think if you want to get the whole whisk you'd be very lucky.
I've only tried this sort of thing a few times, but I'm always amazed at how small the DoF actually is.

Try in manual, on a tripod, with small aperture and long exposure. Oh, and focus 1/3 up the whisk.
That might work

I don't know HOW to use Manual - I'm not ready for that yet - still only using Av and Tv and sometimes struggling with those

I don't want the whole whisk - just the ballon end - and right at the end too

thoughton

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:34
Also, you've said that these shots won't do. Why not? Until we know what you are supposed to accomplish any advice is a bit hit and miss.

if it's simply a case that the first shot isn't close enough, then Mike's question is very relevant and should be answered. You might simply not have the right equipment.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Last Edited by thoughton on 03/03/2010 - 15:36

Mannesty

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:37
First, what does the term macro mean to you?

Macrophotography generally requires at least 1:1 magnification or greater. A life size or bigger image in other words.

To achieve this with only a standard lens is not possible. You may be able to get very close but you will not achieve true macro.

There are several ways to achieve a 1:1 or greater magnification.

1: Use a true macro lens at its minimum focus distance. All the major manufacturers produce them but a manual focus 90mm or so will be ideal. Auto focus can be a hindrance when doing macro shots.
2: Fit extension tubes between your camera and lens. The middle of a toilet roll can be used for a DIY solution. Ideally the lens needs to be something like a 50mm prime.
3: Fit a bellows unit (adjustable extension tube) between your camera and lens.
4: Reverse mount a 50, 35, or 28mm lens to your camera. For this you will need an adapter or devise a DIY method to do it.
5: Stack two lenses together. With a 200mm lens fixed to the camera and a 50mm lens reverse mounted to the front of it you will get approx. 4:1 magnification. Again, you'll need an adapter (stacking ring) having the right filter thread sizes for the two lenses used.

There may be other ways, but I don't know of any.

Lots of light is generally needed to allow a smaller aperture to combat the very narrow depth of field that is typical in macro work. That's probably why your camera is insisting on its use.

Hope that helps.
Peter E Smith

My flickr Photostream
Last Edited by Mannesty on 03/03/2010 - 15:41

Father Ted

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:41
technoidiot wrote:

I don't know HOW to use Manual - I'm not ready for that yet - still only using Av and Tv and sometimes struggling with those

I don't want the whole whisk - just the ballon end - and right at the end too

Oops, my misunderstanding
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K10d, *istDL, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.

techno-terminator

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:43
Nass - he just said Macro , something from the house but all the examples he showed were very definitely abstract - loose wire wrapped round something solid , things interlocking etc etc

Mike-P was using the 18-55 - at 55 but it wasn't happy focusing . Had tried setting the shot up in Av but could not get the hexagon steady no matter how I adjusted my aperture .

I've just had another go with the Optio [ fabulous wee camera - lots to get used to on it ] and finally got these

Yes - would need to crop the last one [ that Optio lens is certainly wide angle ]

Mike-P

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:50
This close? (uncropped)

Im more worried about the state of our whisk now

AV mode, F9 and use your onboard flash .. knock it down as low as it will go. You will have to crop a lot more as you are not using a macro lens.
No equipment list here but thanks for taking an interest. My Flickr
Last Edited by Mike-P on 03/03/2010 - 15:53

techno-terminator

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:57
Mike-P - that's nearer , I think, to what I want

This task was just a last minute thought he had - after we had talked very vaguely on the subject of White Balance and ISO and his suggestion for them was to leave WB on auto and keep ISO low so we didn't get noise ,and then we 'played' with Photoshop and he wants to spend most of the time on that now , and I don't 'cos I need to learn so much more about this K-x and how to get good photos with it - I know I can on Auto - but I don't want to do that all the time or I might as well have stayed with a simple P&S which would not give me what I want.

nass

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 15:58
Whatever you did on your camera to get #2, that's the nearest thing to an in focus macro. Can you repeat and get the focus onto the front?

postedit: see Mike's example. 'nuff said.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!
Last Edited by nass on 03/03/2010 - 15:59

techno-terminator

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 16:01
I can try - it's the Optio on its macro setting

I was above it and looking down and possibly at a slight angle . I'll keep trying that one - thanks

nass

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 16:15
Nonononono - do what Mike says. If you can show the work on a PC use a crop as he suggested, it's a lot more Macro. Point being you need to make it bigger than life size and if that involves a crop at 1:1 on a PC screen so be it
Last Edited by nass on 03/03/2010 - 16:15

techno-terminator

Link Posted 03/03/2010 - 16:45
OK - any better ? - not cropped as yet

This time the K-x was much happier. I've focused as far down as I can and was surprised that the flash didn't this time .

I have a meeting tonight - so can't do any more now till tomorrow - but thanks you have all once again , given me confidence that I'll get there .

Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.