HDR - My first stab at it!
Posted 11/01/2010 - 10:38
Link
The top half of the image is terrific but I cant get my head around the bottom half, my brain tells me those shadows shoud be much stronger.
HDR is a very useful technique but you need to aim to keep things looking as natural as possible, and I'm afraid to say those shadows dont look natural
Have another go and play around with the settings a bit more, which software did you use?
HDR is a very useful technique but you need to aim to keep things looking as natural as possible, and I'm afraid to say those shadows dont look natural
Have another go and play around with the settings a bit more, which software did you use?
Posted 11/01/2010 - 10:50
Link
Photomatix...
I have found it in Photoshop so I am going have have a play around with that too.
I have found it in Photoshop so I am going have have a play around with that too.
Posted 11/01/2010 - 11:00
Link
Is this HDR from 3 exposures or a single image? I only ask because of the running child to the left.
Nice trees, by the way The shadows looks a little unusual, but for me it isn't too overpowering.
Nice trees, by the way The shadows looks a little unusual, but for me it isn't too overpowering.
Tim
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
AF - Pentax K5, Sigma 10-20/4-5.6, Tamron 17-50/2.8, Sigma 30/1.4, Sigma 70-200/2.8, Tamron 70-300/4-5.6
MF - Vivitar CF 28/2.8, Tamron AD2 90/2.5, MTO 1000/11
Stuff - Metz 58 AF1, Cactus v4, Nikon SB24, Raynox 150, Sigma 1.4x TC, Sigma 2x TC, Kenko 2x macro TC, Redsnapper 283 tripod, iMac 27, Macbook Pro 17, iPad, iPhone 3G
Flickr Fluidr PPG Street Portfolio site
Feel free to edit any of my posted photos! If I post a photo for critique, I want brutal honesty. If you don't like it, please say so and tell me why!
Posted 11/01/2010 - 11:14
Link
It's from a single image.
Posted 11/01/2010 - 11:25
Link
I have to agree with impotentspider on this - the bottom half needs more contrast.
However, I do like the end result - gives a tad of the supernatural feel.
For my tastes the HDR effect is a bit on the strong side; I prefer a more subtle approach (usually - there have been exceptions); but as a first bash at HDR this is excellent stuff Spad.
However, I do like the end result - gives a tad of the supernatural feel.
For my tastes the HDR effect is a bit on the strong side; I prefer a more subtle approach (usually - there have been exceptions); but as a first bash at HDR this is excellent stuff Spad.
Posted 11/01/2010 - 18:55
Link
Often, one needs a second stage of editing after merging in photomatix, usually upping the contrast using curves. My main objection to the image is that the snow is too grey for my taste. Perhaps you could up the brightness and the contrast a bit?
A photo with lots of potential, however!
K.
A photo with lots of potential, however!
K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.
Posted 11/01/2010 - 21:30
Link
Very nice image but like many said the bottom half is the weak point.
I'm also wondering why you throw the image through a HDR program while you can do the same thing with curves, basicly all you are now doing is lowering the contrast of the image and tone-mapping it.
Am I right about this or do I miss the point?
I'm also wondering why you throw the image through a HDR program while you can do the same thing with curves, basicly all you are now doing is lowering the contrast of the image and tone-mapping it.
Am I right about this or do I miss the point?
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



1375 posts
18 years
THey blew me away so I thought I would have a stab at it and this is what came out:
All comments welcome as this is my first time at trying this!