Have film camera prices stabilised?


johnriley

Link Posted 01/03/2017 - 12:18
It's not how I remember it, but I'm happy to be proved wrong.

However, I do wonder if those photos have been prepared with showing the connection in mind and whether or not they have simply been doctored to make them clearer. It's notoriously difficult to photograph metal objects and often the images are retouched to improve the edge delineation. Try photographing a metal dental instrument against a white background and the problem glares at you.
Best regards, John

pschlute

Link Posted 01/03/2017 - 18:12
Well just downloaded a manual from http://pentax-manuals.com and there on page 23 is a picture of the baseplate with no cover.

I think that probably settles it. http://pentax-manuals.com/manuals/mf/pentax_super_a_s.pdf
Peter



My Flickr page

davem

Link Posted 01/03/2017 - 21:21
My super A is just as in the manual. It does not have a base plate

dave

davidwozhere

Link Posted 02/03/2017 - 00:29
I've just looked at mine. The hole is stepped (as already mentioned) and there is no way you could even get a cover in there with the 1/2mm depth available. And the battery cover is too small anyway -- I just tried it.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Fishbones

Link Posted 02/03/2017 - 00:48
I can confirm , after buying the program a on its release being my first slr and first pentax that it comes without a cover. I still own 2 program a's today and one has the original plastic film on the bottom plate. I was never aware of a cover you could buy as an option so it is very normal for them to have the bottom of the wonder drive showing . Hope that helps.

Tony
“Twelve significant photographs in any one year is a good crop.” – Ansel Adams

pschlute

Link Posted 02/03/2017 - 18:25
Well I think that settles it, but like John, I am surprised.
Peter



My Flickr page

smile_j

Link Posted 09/10/2017 - 16:51
Mike-P wrote:
Has Rocky upped his game now?

I haven't used him since his Ebay days and he was an absolute nightmare then. I was one of the very few that got a refund on some very imaginatively described equipment and that was only because I lived so close and told him I would collect in person if I didn't receive it soon.

There are promotional prices of the classic equipment, it is pretty good.

danofmk

Link Posted 10/10/2017 - 12:58
There are deals to be had, just a question of being patient and knowing how and where to look.

I've found bundles to be the best way. Paid 75 quid for one recently, sold the 50mm 1.7 A, a Tokina zoom, an old Pentax flash, a Pentax viewfinder..

Recouped 60 quid (was unlucky not to get more for the zoom) and so for 15 quid I've got a Super A in great shape, a nice 28mm Takumar, again in great shape, and a handy (if not attractive) bag, for 15 quid.

Could probably sell the Takumar and make the camera free, but it's as good as the 28mm M (I think) so I'm keeping it for now.

Plenty of other bundles and job lots out there. That's the way to look for them, I think.

petrochemist

Link Posted 10/10/2017 - 13:34
smile_j wrote:
Mike-P wrote:
Has Rocky upped his game now?

I haven't used him since his Ebay days and he was an absolute nightmare then. I was one of the very few that got a refund on some very imaginatively described equipment and that was only because I lived so close and told him I would collect in person if I didn't receive it soon.

There are promotional prices of the classic equipment, it is pretty good.

His prices have always been good. the trouble is descriptions are often sketchy & goods fail to arrive all too often.
I've used him around half a dozen times, and twice had something small missing from the order. Last time neither of the items ordered arrived - when chased he sent a couple of e-mails saying he was out of the office & would investigate on his return. Since then he hasn't bothered replying.

I won't use him again.
I used to mention him when people at the workshop are after cheap bits, but I won't do that anymore either.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio

LennyBloke

Link Posted 10/10/2017 - 14:05
petrochemist wrote:
His prices have always been good. the trouble is descriptions are often sketchy & goods fail to arrive all too often.
I've used him around half a dozen times, and twice had something small missing from the order. Last time neither of the items ordered arrived - when chased he sent a couple of e-mails saying he was out of the office & would investigate on his return. Since then he hasn't bothered replying.

I won't use him again.
I used to mention him when people at the workshop are after cheap bits, but I won't do that anymore either.

Sounds a familiar story...

...I'd bought the odd lens hood and other Pentax accessories from him in the past and had the odd missing or broken bit, but a bad experience with a "near mint" lens (full of fungus) and a reluctance to refund for around 3 months means I'll be keeping my barge pole close to me in future
LennyBloke

wvbarnes

Link Posted 10/10/2017 - 14:50
I've had Cokin filters, accessories etc from Keith Rock and received more than stated. He doesn't seem willing to print makes for 'PKA' mounts Sometimes you can tell from photos. For old cameras he does seem to distinguish between working and not working shuttersat reasonable prices unless perceived 'rare'. i would guess light seals are on way out on much old stuff now.

smile_j

Link Posted 10/10/2017 - 16:19
petrochemist wrote:
smile_j wrote:
Quote:
Has Rocky upped his game now?

I haven't used him since his Ebay days and he was an absolute nightmare then. I was one of the very few that got a refund on some very imaginatively described equipment and that was only because I lived so close and told him I would collect in person if I didn't receive it soon.

There are promotional prices of the classic equipment, it is pretty good.

His prices have always been good. the trouble is descriptions are often sketchy & goods fail to arrive all too often.
I've used him around half a dozen times and twice had something small missing from the order. Last time neither of the items ordered arrived - when chased he sent a couple of e-mails saying he was out of the office & would investigate on his return. Since then he hasn't bothered replying.

I won't use him again.
I used to mention him when people at the workshop are after cheap bits, but I won't do that anymore either.

I am currently waiting for a response because the lens I order was mistaken. I didn't know it was a practice. Should I bring my hopes down? I thought it was bad luck, I have a problem like that for the first time, that's why I suggested it. But now, when I understood what the practice is ...

petrochemist

Link Posted 16/10/2017 - 14:17
smile_j wrote:
I am currently waiting for a response because the lens I order was mistaken. I didn't know it was a practice. Should I bring my hopes down? I thought it was bad luck, I have a problem like that for the first time, that's why I suggested it. But now, when I understood what the practice is ...

You might get a response if you continuously hassle him. My order was quite a small one, so I didn't invest much time/effort in chasing him, but I can't think of any other supplier who would ignore repeated e-mails from a returning customer.
Mike
.
Pentax:K5ii, K7, K100D, DA18-55, DA10-17, DA55-300, DA50-200, F100-300, F50, DA35 AL, 4* M50, 2* M135, Helicoid extension, Tak 300 f4 (& 6 film bodies)
3rd Party: Bigmos (Sigma 150-500mm OS HSM),2* 28mm, 100mm macro, 28-200 zoom, 35-80 zoom, 80-200 zoom, 80-210 zoom, 300mm M42, 600 mirror, 1000-4000 scope, 50mm M42, enlarger lenses, Sony & micro 4/3 cameras with various PK mounts, Zenit E...
Far to many tele-converters, adapters, project parts & extension tubes etc.

.[size=11:].Flickr• WPF• Panoramio

smile_j

Link Posted 16/10/2017 - 15:11
petrochemist wrote:
smile_j wrote:
I am currently waiting for a response because the lens I order was mistaken. I didn't know it was a practice. Should I bring my hopes down? I thought it was bad luck, I have a problem like that for the first time, that's why I suggested it. But now, when I understood what the practice is ...

You might get a response if you continuously hassle him. My order was quite a small one, so I didn't invest much time/effort in chasing him, but I can't think of any other supplier who would ignore repeated e-mails from a returning customer.

I will try, but I don`t have the nerves to wait on him for too long. Would you suggest another place with similar prices to those that he has?
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.