Handy Hint #45364: Renaming multiple photos
Posted 02/02/2007 - 16:58
Link
Useful tip - I didn't know that
Pity is does not work with the number at the front, or with W98
Personally, I find the batch rename in PS generally does the job, but for preference I use "FileRenumber" a free download I think, although I got it off a cover disc some time back. It is a very flexible programme.
Graham
Pity is does not work with the number at the front, or with W98
Personally, I find the batch rename in PS generally does the job, but for preference I use "FileRenumber" a free download I think, although I got it off a cover disc some time back. It is a very flexible programme.
Graham
Keep up the good work
Graham
I'll think of something someday.
Graham
I'll think of something someday.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


931 posts
20 years
Bracknell Berkshire
Do you have folders and folders of photos on your computer, all listed as IMGPxxxx.jpg/PEF?
Here's a way to rename them quickly.
Open the folder, then on the toolbar go to View | List. Next highlight all the files, by holding down Shift while clicking the first and last images in the list, or by clicking the mouse somewhere in the folder and pressing Ctrl + A (select all). Now all the file names in that list are highlighted, right click on the first image in the list, and choose Rename from the drop down menu.
Choose the name, for instance Photos of London Eye (1), making sure to put a number in brackets as shown. I started with the number 1, but if you have a couple of folders from different visits, dated accordingly, then you can start with any number you want, and have a continuation from the first folder.
Next click the mouse in open space in the folder, and you'll have all files listed numerically..
Photos of London Eye (1)
Photos of London Eye (2)
Photos of London Eye (3)
Photos of London Eye (4)
..etc.
nb. I've checked, as is it's obviously vital that your PEF files remain absolutely unchanged from the originals, and using a tool to check the md5 checksum (a way of checking a file's integrity) of a file both before and after renaming, it is still the identical file.
Hope that helps,
Cheers
Liam
"Make your hands respond to what your mind demands." Jesse James
Best wide-angle lens? Two steps backward. Look for the 'ah-ha'. Ernst Haas