Handstrap for Digital SLR

Richard Grant

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 17:18
Hi,

I'm looking for a comfortable handstrap to go on my K20D, to go along with the shoulder strap supplied with the camera. This would allow me to swing the camera on the end of my arm during shooting but put the camera over my shoulder using the shoulder strap between shooting. The sort of thing I'm looking for has been supplied with video cameras for years and allows one-handed shooting.

There seems to be a number of these on the market, including ones for other brands but, of course, this doesn't give me any indication if they would fit my camera and how comfortable they are.

In this Forum, there must be enthusiasts who have bought these before so rather than re-invent the wheel, it seems to me to be sensible to make use of others' experience.

Has anybody got a recommendation?

regards,

Richard

TOZZA27

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 18:29
I got a cracking leather wrist strap with a very dodgy ring fixing for a compact or mobile.
Exchanged the ring for an old Pentax one and I now have the security for the K20D.
I also got the hand one which is hard to get used to and difficult to work with.

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

aliengrove

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 18:36
Any hand strap for a DSLR should fit as they all connect to one of the lugs and the tripod socket. It does mean you have to remove it to use a tripod however. As to whether any of them are comfortable I wouldn't know as I have never tried one.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 30/05/2010 - 18:37

pink

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 19:00
I think hand straps are a personal thing and not for every one

early this year I did all the research I could and still found the item I bought restricted my hand movement to much so now it's sitting in my camera bag un-employed.

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

George Lazarette

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 19:10
I love hand-straps, and have fitted them to my two most-used cameras. Both have a tripod socket, though they are different sorts, both bought from Ebay.

As Pink says, they're a personal thing, but I wouldn't be without them.

Can't give a recommendation as to which brand to get because they are unbranded.

G

ETA: The straps are adjustable on mine, so I don't suffer from restricted hand movement.
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Last Edited by George Lazarette on 30/05/2010 - 19:12

George Lazarette

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 19:16
Mine both look similar to this:

http://tinyurl.com/3yxs5vk

I think this is over-kill:

http://tinyurl.com/3ygeenh
G

Anvh

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 19:19
aliengrove wrote:
Any hand strap for a DSLR should fit as they all connect to one of the lugs and the tripod socket. It does mean you have to remove it to use a tripod however.

Not with all, mine has a thread inside the screw that screw inside the camera.

I wouldn't be without mine either.

I haven't tried to connect shoulderstrap to it and ain't sure if it would fit.
Stefan

K10D, K5
DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135, D-FA 100 Macro, DA 40 Ltd, DA 18-55
AF-540FGZ

Richard Grant

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 20:14
Thanks for the comments, folks.
Quote:
both bought from Ebay.

ATM, the one I'm looking at is this;
http://tinyurl.com/2wwsjcr
Which, whilst among the more expensive ones, looks the most substantial. After all, why spend hundreds on a camera and then risk it with a 1 handle?

Richard

George Lazarette

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 21:27
Looks Ok. My camera gear is elsewhere for safe-keeping at the moment, so I can't check, but it looks very much like one of mine.

G

rparmar

Link Posted 30/05/2010 - 22:26
I have tried straps like the last few posted, but found they restricted movement way too much. Perhaps Pink used similar?

After much research I recently received a string wrist strap (fits K20D and the like) from Gordy's Camera Straps. These are hand-made leather straps you can colour coordinate. 18 bucks delivered anywhere. A bargain IMO.
Listen to my albums free on BandCamp. Or visit my main website for links to photography, etc.

Anvh

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 09:22
I've something like this one.

The good thing is that it has a strap you can secure around your wrist, because of that you can make the connection to the camera very loose and you've the freedom to move enough without being insecure.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

Richard Grant

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 09:56
Stefan, that's probably exactly what I'm looking for.

I knew the Forum would help. Many thanks...

Richard

Hardgravity

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 10:00
I just wrap the shoulder strap around my wrist 2 or 3 times.

Saves the cost of a separate strap and means quick conversion from wrist to shoulder.

I've tried wrist straps and found that they restricted movement and access to buttons.
Cheers, HG

K110+DA40, K200+DA35, K3 and a bag of lenses, bodies and other bits.

Mustn't forget the Zenits, or folders, or...

I've some gallerieshere CLICKY LINK! and my PPG entries.

Anvh

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 10:26
Richard Grant wrote:
Stefan, that's probably exactly what I'm looking for.

I knew the Forum would help. Many thanks...

There are several brands that make this type, even pentax has something that looks like it.
The thing is I don't think you can also secure a shoulder strap to the camera but I found that thing was always in the way so that wasn't a problem for me.

Hardgravity wrote:
I just wrap the shoulder strap around my wrist 2 or 3 times.

I did the same thing but I notice I left the camera more often in my handsthen throw it around the shoulder. So I wondered why on earth I had a shoulder strap on it so use it without any straps at all for some time. When I wouldn't use it for a long time I simply put it back in the shoulder bag that I leave open so in a way that is my shoudler strap.
Stefan

K10D, K5
AF-540FGZ

pink

Link Posted 31/05/2010 - 10:56
I would send you mine if you like and if you want to keep it pay for it after you try it 7.00 plus p and p and if you decide you don't want it just return it to me.

I found the wrist strap to interfered with the shutter button
but every one to there own, just pm me your address

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.