GX20 Grip with WiFi?

Unlocker
Posted 01/02/2008 - 01:28 Link
Apparently Samsung are showing off a new grip with Wifi in it, don't know exact details but there is a pic here

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-samsungs-gx-20-dslr/616839/

Don't like the wire going into the shutter release socket, but it gives us an idea on where the thought process is going!

Edit: And another interesting one!

http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-samsungs-gx-20-dslr/616832/
George Lazarette
Posted 01/02/2008 - 08:13 Link
I like the helpful tips on the back screen: "Please press the shutter if you want to take a picture".

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Clarky
Posted 01/02/2008 - 08:27 Link
Quote:
I like the helpful tips on the back screen: "Please press the shutter if you want to take a picture".

G
That little tip could save someone hrs of frustration

I wonder why they went with the wire from the grip to the body instead of the terminal between grip and body :
The grip and body don't seem to blend together as well as the K10 and grip it looks out of proportion and a tacked on after thought.

And what is the rectangular peice stuck on the left hand side of the body : Maybe that has something to do with the wire and is not the connection from grip to body :

I like the look and size of the LCD screen
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
Prieni
Posted 01/02/2008 - 08:51 Link
Well, I would prefer this little gadget ( http://www.eye.fi/ ) that would give WiFi to the K20D (and K10D). (I think I found the link to this somewhere here on the forum)
Apparently it's US only currently... (I did write an email to them as I have a work related use for this. They say that it's designed for the wireless channels that are used in the US that might be different from the channels used outside US. Haven't looked into that so far, might only be BS).
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
George Lazarette
Posted 01/02/2008 - 08:51 Link
Quote:
George Lazarette wrote:
I like the helpful tips on the back screen: "Please press the shutter if you want to take a picture".

G
That little tip could save someone hrs of frustration

I wonder why they went with the wire from the grip to the body instead of the terminal between grip and body :
The grip and body don't seem to blend together as well as the K10 and grip it looks out of proportion and a tacked on after thought.

And what is the rectangular peice stuck on the left hand side of the body : Maybe that has something to do with the wire and is not the connection from grip to body :

I like the look and size of the LCD screen
By "rectangular piece", do you mean the flap covering the sockets?

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Clarky
Posted 01/02/2008 - 09:31 Link
Quote:
By "rectangular piece", do you mean the flap covering the sockets?
AAAH yes thats what it is the door flap
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
beakynet
Posted 01/02/2008 - 10:47 Link
Quote:
They say that it's designed for the wireless channels that are used in the US that might be different from the channels used outside US. Haven't looked into that so far, might only be BS).
Wireless (WiFi) is an international standard and should work on any compatable equipment i.e. 802.11b or 802.11g.

Also, if Samsung have this, I guess Pentax will bring one out too! Perhaps it might even work with the K10D!
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon
MattMatic
Posted 01/02/2008 - 11:06 Link
From the side view, it looks like the wire is for the USB interface
http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-samsungs-gx-20-dslr/616841/

I would suspect the grip connection has no access to the USB, and they need that for the WiFi access to the data.

Interesting idea though...
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Clarky
Posted 01/02/2008 - 11:10 Link
Quote:
From the side view, it looks like the wire is for the USB interface
http://www.engadget.com/photos/hands-on-with-samsungs-gx-20-dslr/616841/

I would suspect the grip connection has no access to the USB, and they need that for the WiFi access to the data.

Interesting idea though...
Matt
It sort of defeats the purpose of weather shielding if you have to leave the door open
Camera:|K-7|
Pentax Lenses:|DA12-24/f4 ED AL|DA35Ltd Macro|FA31Ltd|FA77Ltd|FA50/1.4|F70-210|FA20-35 f4/AL|A*200/f4 Macro ED|A50/1.7|A50 Macro f2.8|1.7xAF adapter|
Voigtlander|125/f2.5SL Macro APO Lanthar|
Sigma Lenses:|EX DG 100-300 f4|2X & 1.4X TC|
Flashes:|AF540FGZx2|RingFlash AF160FC|
MattMatic
Posted 01/02/2008 - 14:20 Link
Quote:
It sort of defeats the purpose of weather shielding if you have to leave the door open
But I don't think many have a weather shielded laptop or WiFi access point

You'd probably need one grip for outdoors and the WiFi for the studio
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
Mannesty
Posted 01/02/2008 - 18:59 Link
Quote:
Prieni wrote:
They say that it's designed for the wireless channels that are used in the US that might be different from the channels used outside US. Haven't looked into that so far, might only be BS).
Wireless (WiFi) is an international standard and should work on any compatable equipment i.e. 802.11b or 802.11g.

Also, if Samsung have this, I guess Pentax will bring one out too! Perhaps it might even work with the K10D!
I'm willing to be corrected (and fully expect to be) but in the early days if WiFi, I believe the US used a higher transmission power or a different frquency for their kit. One or the other or both of these was/is banned for use in UK.

Of course, the IT world changes fast, and this may no longer be true.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
SilverJON
Posted 03/02/2008 - 00:30 Link
If the WiFi is implemented badly, it'll be useless anyway. My old Nikon Coolpix P3 has WiFi capability, but it's not worth the effort to set up and use - unless your PC has a 20' force field around it that repels all attempts to bring camera or card close to it...
golfdiesel
Posted 03/02/2008 - 11:54 Link
WiFi implemetations in devices other then computers and PDA's has been quite bad.
I recently bought a Nintendo DS and it as wifi support, BUT the thing only supports WEP encryption...
I have seen this with other devices as well, basically they are forcing you to disable security on your wireless network to get a device working...

If Samsung and Pentax want this grip to be a succes they should at least make it work with WPA/WPA2.
Camera:K20D|Ist*DS|Spotmatic II|MZ-10
Pentax Lenses: DA16-45|DA50-200|50A 1.7
Tamron Lenses: 28-200
Takumar Lenses: SMC 55 1.8
Sigma Lenses: EX DG 50-500 'Bigma'|EX 50mm Macro
Flashes: Metz 58 AF-1|Samsung SEF-36PZF|Pentax AF-220T
Unlocker
Posted 03/02/2008 - 16:42 Link
They are not all bad, for example I am currently using the future in-laws wifi on my nokia E90!
beakynet
Posted 03/02/2008 - 20:41 Link
Quote:
WiFi implemetations in devices other then computers and PDA's has been quite bad.
I wouldn't say it was bad. The standard is very spacific and for a device to be certified WiFi it must comply. However, there is no stipulation that the more recent encryption protocols are to be used. Lets face it, it is a criminal offence to hijack WiFi and you really need to have the protection on your PC/Mac and the old standard does allow for the blocking of all unknown MAC addresses! So, not bad, just not up to the highest level of security.
Bodies: K5IIs, K7, MZ5n, LX, MV
Lenses: DA*16-50, DA18-55WR, DA18-135, DAL35, M50 F2, A50 f1.4, FA50 f1.4, DA*50-135, DA55-300, Tamron 70-300, DFA 100 WR Macro, M135 f3.5, Sigma 120-400 APO DG HSM, Tokina 500 f8.0
Flash: Metz 58, Metz 48
Accessories: BG4, Pentax right angle finder, Pentax mirror adaptor lens, O-ME53 Viewfinder Loupe
Auto 110 System: Auto 110, Winder, 18mm, 24mm, 50mm, 70mm, 20-40mm, AF100P, 1.7x telecon

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo