Gutted: I dropped my camera and it's broken :(

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:07
I was playing with the intervalometer last night trying a short timelapse (link) from my back garden.

Because it was late when I finished I left the camera on the tripod and stood it in the dining room. The tripod was extended to 5 foot and I, obviously, hadn't pulled the legs out properly. I accidentally brushed past it this morning and the whole thing fell over onto the laminate floor. OUCH

There was no obvious sign of damage to camera or lens but, when I switched it on the aperture wasn't displaying. I tried wiggling the lens only to find that it was incredibly tight and the lock button wasn't locking.
I tried another lens and it was exactly the same, it won't lock or display the aperture.

On closer inspection I noticed that all the lens contacts, on the camera mount are 'sunk in'.

So I've no got to send it off for repair. I shall contact Wex in a while and see what they can offer and I've also been recommended ACS which is in Watton (about an hours drive away).

To say that I'm gutted is an understatement, especially as I have only myself to blame

PS. To make it worse I'm not too impressed with the timelapse either
---------------------------------------------------------------------
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"
Last Edited by RalphHardwick on 17/03/2014 - 09:09

JohnX

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:10
I feel for you.

Covered under home insurance?

Buy it on a credit card? (some have hidden benefits including insurance during the first x months after purchase)

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:13
It is covered on the insurance but I'd rather get a quote first as it can often be cheaper than any excess and premium hikes!

The camera is just over a year old and bought with a company debit card. so no joy there I'm afraid.

Thanks for the ideas though
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr
"I carry a camera to capture memories and the occasional photograph worthy of sharing"

JohnX

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:16
It seems the mount has been damaged, in which case the force to do that would be transmitted via the attached lens, so whichever lens was on at the time will also need checking out.

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:20
Fair point. Thanks for that, it's not something I'd thought about. It was the DA 12-24 and seemed okay.

Another few pounds added to the inspection/repair bill
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

dpm

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:22
try slackening the mount screws and see if it then centralises itself.

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:23
I presume that can be done with a jewellers screwdriver?
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

dougf8

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:47
Been there, done that.
Lurking is shirking.!

richandfleur

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 09:59
Your link is not working for me, so maybe that's broken too?

Rough, a gutting feeling. That timelapse is a killer, I'm honestly thinking DSLR's are not the way to go for this as it's hundreds/thousands? of actuations for decent eventual clips. Also if the final output is HD then you only need a 2MP image anyway, or say 5MP if you want to pan across it etc. Mirrorless or a GoPro etc seems more ideal.

All the best with the repair/replacement. My K-30 is on it's way back to NZ from the UK right now so I'm super keen to get my hands back on something working also.

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 10:19
Richard, Try this link : link

I have done a timelapse with the gopro and, apart from a battery failure it worked fine. In fact I used the GoPro software to produce this (after a tweak of the images in LR). It is by far the simplest tool for putting the images together.

This set was 180 images, 1 minutes apart, 15 second exposure, f4 @ ISO 800 with the DA 12-24. It's a bit jerky and, when I do it again, I shall probably go at 30 seconds rather than 1 minute intervals. I'm trying this out because I want capture some epic skies when I'm in Iceland later this year.

The advantage a DSLR has over the GoPro is the lens. The gopro is ultra wide and fixed that way. Fine if you want that, not so fine if you want to narrow your view a bit. Plus you do still high hi-res photos to play with.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

gartmore

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 11:20
I feel your pain. I lifted one of mine out of its bag on Saturday to find a lump the size of a pea missing from the left hand shoulder. The piece was thankfully in the bag and is now superglued back on. Impossible I know but the damage looked as if the part had been knocked out from the inside. A total mystery.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -

RalphHardwick

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 11:32
Thanks Ken.
It turns out that Wex only do warranty repairs so I will try dpm's idea with the mount. If that doesn't work then I shall take a drive over to Watton in Norfolk and see what ACS are like. They don't charge for estimates and will inspect the camera and lens and get back to me within a couple of days.
They mainly deal with CanNikon (surprise, surprise) and will have to get a list of spares and prices from Pentax which may add a bit of a delay.
The other option is to post it off to Johnsons Photopia.
Any advice on other repair centres would be appreciated.
CaptureLight Ltd
flickr

johnriley

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 11:43
Asahi Photo and Harrow Technical are possibilities.
Best regards, John

stub

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 12:23
You could try Alan Marlow @ A M Technical....

http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..

ilovesaabs

Link Posted 17/03/2014 - 15:32
Mount damage on the lens could cost as little as around £50 from Johnson's - they fixed my 50..

as for body after quite a blunt impact on the mount any inspection will reveal a lot of other damage I fear...
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.