Groyne addiction

fritzthedog
Posted 22/01/2015 - 08:26 Link
I can not visit Sandsend beach without fixating on one or more of the lines of groynes. Last Saturday was no exception. 2 hours on the same set until an unexpected 'tidal surge' soaked me up to the ankles. Paddling in the North Sea in January was not on my agenda and I took it as a sign that perhaps it was time to move on.

Here is a selection of the shots taken while my feet were dry!

I know many feel these sort of shots look better in mono and I often agree - however I liked these in colour.

As always C+C welcome.

Carl

1.

Comment Image


2.

Comment Image


3.

Comment Image


4.

Comment Image


5.

Comment Image


6.

Comment Image


7.

Comment Image


8.

Comment Image


9.

Comment Image
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
McGregNi
Posted 22/01/2015 - 14:17 Link
An easy addiction to catch Carl given the lovely light, waves and sky you were presented with. No 1 is a clear winner with it's added light intensity, warm colour and contrast, but others such as 3, 6 & 7 have an equally nice mix of those elements, just more subtly. Some of them, where there's no light really on the beach, don't work so well. But you've done a great job of capturing the beauty and tranquility of the place.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
alfpics
Posted 22/01/2015 - 14:36 Link
Great stuff Carl. For me no1 is the best as well. And for me a problem I often have is this bit of tat shot matched with that bit the other - and so here I like the lower half of 6 with the upper half of 7! But hey can't have it al!!
Andy
Edited by alfpics: 22/01/2015 - 14:51
McGregNi
Posted 22/01/2015 - 14:42 Link
I should think with a bit of PhotoShop layer work you in fact could!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
alfpics
Posted 22/01/2015 - 14:51 Link
McGregNi wrote:
I should think with a bit of PhotoShop layer work you in fact could!
But it is nice to get right in camera
Andy
Darkmunk
Posted 22/01/2015 - 14:59 Link
I find it odd that you both like 1, I think that one is my least favourite bit over-saturated, don't like the dark corner, or the square format, or the proximity of the leading timber to the edge of the frame.
However, I like all the others for different reasons. I want the groyne to pass across the frame more tho', or to lead to something. But they're nice; worth getting wet for, certainly.
McGregNi
Posted 22/01/2015 - 16:48 Link
Well you're outnumbered 2 to one so far Mark! That puts you way behind ..... Lets see what the ratio is by the end of this thread ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Darkmunk
Posted 22/01/2015 - 17:43 Link
ha ha, nothing new there
bwlchmawr
Posted 22/01/2015 - 17:49 Link
I'm so glad you got the grammar right, Carl... I feared we might be in for something a bit explicit.
As for the pictures, very nice. I must say I'm drawn to subjects like this. Mrs C and the son and heir always groan when they see me heading off down the beach. Like today, actually.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Edited by bwlchmawr: 22/01/2015 - 17:50
Mike-P
Posted 22/01/2015 - 18:07 Link
McGregNi wrote:
Well you're outnumbered 2 to one so far Mark! That puts you way behind ....Lets see what the ratio is by the end of this thread ....
Why? ... you took absolutely no notice of it in the Windows 8 thread even though the difference was far greater

Last one for me.
michaelblue
Posted 22/01/2015 - 18:26 Link
Great photos!
No.s 3 and 4 are definitely the most interesting and have the best composition.
The light on 6 and 7 is superb!
Well worth the wet feet
Regards,
Michael
McGregNi
Posted 22/01/2015 - 18:31 Link
Well Win8 was never put to a scientific poll on here, but I did notice things balancing out more as the threads went on ... In fact on the last one I'm sure there were more who said it was b..ll..cks

All in a good cause though if it gets people looking critically at Carls shots here.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 22/01/2015 - 18:39
bwlchmawr
Posted 22/01/2015 - 19:37 Link
Sorry I didn't realise we were supposed to be looking critically. I was just enjoying them...

In that case I like 3 and 9 most, but that's not to say they're the best.
I like no.1 the least, because the nearest post is far too near the edge of the frame, but that's not to say it's the worst.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Edited by bwlchmawr: 22/01/2015 - 19:38
fritzthedog
Posted 22/01/2015 - 20:38 Link
I always enjoy the fact that posting this sort of set always proves that tastes vary. I am happy if everybody finds something to be worth looking at.

For what it's worth - if I am allowed to comment on my own work

1 - I like the tone - and this is pretty much how it looked at the time - I don't like the crop or the angle particularly but was forced in to it due to dogs and their owners refusing to move

2 The more I look at it - the more it does nothing for me

3 and 4 - I am reasonably pleased with

5. For me is a 'not quite' shot

6. Is getting closer to what I wanted

7. Is my favourite

8, Just missed what I wanted - but was close

9. I wish I had got a lower angle on this one - suspect it would look much better

Carl

5
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo