GR II is here!

jules

Link Posted 18/06/2015 - 04:53
Not sure how much of an upgrade it is but maybe current GR owners could chime in here?

http://photorumors.com/2015/06/17/ricoh-gr-ii-camera-officially-announced/
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams
www.exaggeratedperspectives.com

jules

Link Posted 18/06/2015 - 04:55
I'll answer my own question...

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/1671649461/ricoh-gr-ii-adds-wi-fi-and-not-much-...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it.”...Ansel Adams

DrOrloff

Link Posted 18/06/2015 - 11:48
It seems we have truly reached a plateau if there is no need to upgrade the sensor after a couple of years. I have been procrastinating for ages seeing what else would become available in the quality zoom compact world but also in the hope that there would be an equivalent 35mm fl version of the GR. I shall procrastinate no more - the GR it is as it simply blows away the image quality of the likes of the much vaunted Sony RX100s. However, I have been no reason at all to invest in the latest model and I suspect the same will be true for most. It will have to come down in price much closer to the old model. That's the problem all round the camera business at the moment - no real innovation to escape the plateau. It doesn't mean it isn't a great camera, it is, but persuading people to upgrade is becoming very difficult,
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

jules

Link Posted 19/06/2015 - 13:37
DrOrloff wrote:
It seems we have truly reached a plateau if there is no need to upgrade the sensor after a couple of years. I have been procrastinating for ages seeing what else would become available in the quality zoom compact world but also in the hope that there would be an equivalent 35mm fl version of the GR. I shall procrastinate no more - the GR it is as it simply blows away the image quality of the likes of the much vaunted Sony RX100s. However, I have been no reason at all to invest in the latest model and I suspect the same will be true for most. It will have to come down in price much closer to the old model. That's the problem all round the camera business at the moment - no real innovation to escape the plateau. It doesn't mean it isn't a great camera, it is, but persuading people to upgrade is becoming very difficult,

Couldn't agree more Adrian!
Same is currently going for me with the K3 II, a very dissapointing upgrade from my point of veiw, more of a side grade if such a thing is possible, the new GR even more so, I may pick up a K3 prestige and a ltd edition GR later this year and eschew the newbies!
K-S2 is adorable though...
Cheers Jules...
tri-elmar-fudd

Back in the room!

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/06/2015 - 22:47
I actually think the K3II is really appealing. The inbuilt startracer function/GPS I think is really something and the pixel shift looks rather impressive too. The launch price is really competitive - it gives a lot more over a Nikon alternative, Those functions could well tempt some to upgrade but new buyers I think would favour the K3ii over the K3. I would certainly go for a K3ii if I weren't awaiting the ff. However, I see no reason at all to go for a GRii over a GR. It's a testament to how good the GR already is, but not great for business,
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

aliengrove

Link Posted 21/06/2015 - 10:21
Personally I was hoping the new GR would have a 35mm or 50mm equivalent lens on it. The sensor itself is great, probably no need for an upgrade on that, though improved high ISO performance (above 1600) would have been nice. Strangely, the 47mm crop mode is mentioned as a difference from the original, yet a firmware upgrade introduced that crop on the original. I certainly won't bother upgrading to the mark II version, it would be totally pointless.

The GR is still my most used camera, and I expect it to remain so, plus it's made me more money than all my other cameras put together, so I'm very happy with it. The wide lens continues to amaze me, it's just so much better than a lump of glass screwed onto the front of another lens has any right to be. The GR is imo the best designed compact on the market, simple, uncluttered, small, highly customisable. I've seen none of the dust issues I've seen some people complain about, and I live in a far dustier environment than most people.

I suspect if I didn't have a GR already, this new model would have me licking my lips waiting for the original version to drop in price; I doubt very much whether I'd buy the latest version. I'd be surprised if it sells very well, to be honest, as the original is going to be a real bargain now. I'm still hoping they come out with versions with different focal lengths.
Flurble

My Website
PPG
flickr
G+
Facebook
Last Edited by aliengrove on 21/06/2015 - 10:21
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.