Ghent on a rainy day

Casket

Link Posted 20/06/2016 - 11:32
Hello all,

As you all know, it's the Euros right now in France. I've always hated football so on Saturday, when Belgium was playing and the streets were quiet, I went out and shot my home city - something I'd never really done before. Because of the unfavourable weather conditions (it is Belgium in June after all) I decided to make a B&W set. Here are 20 of my favourites - all shot with my K5, most of them with the Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8.

https://500px.com/wouterhuyghe/galleries/beautiful-gent-on-a-rainy-day

As you can see this is my first gallery, would love to hear your input & advice - good or bad. I just want to learn as much as I can.

Edit: can someone please tell me how to properly post a link on here? If I click the Link button and enter the url it just shows the code but doesn't make the url clickable.

Regards,
Wouter
Last Edited by Casket on 20/06/2016 - 11:37

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 20/06/2016 - 15:13
https://500px.com/wouterhuyghe/galleries/beautiful-gent-on-a-rainy-day

Use the "Link" button to enclose the address.

Some nice photos there but contrast is way too high, giving them a very unnatural look.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

jemx99

Link Posted 20/06/2016 - 15:31
Nice shots - I like them very much. Ghent is a beautiful city even in the rain!

Casket

Link Posted 20/06/2016 - 17:05
Thanks. The high contrast was indeed the look I was going for, I like it a lot for cityscapes and B&W.

Dorset_Mike

Link Posted 20/06/2016 - 20:14
An impressive gallery Wouter. I'm not normally a great black and white fan but I love these and I think you are quite right about the high contrast treatment. I'm inspired now to have a go myself the next time it rains here!
Regards,
Mike
Regards,
Mike

Every day's a holiday!

ronniemac

Link Posted 20/06/2016 - 23:52
Good set of photos. I do like the high contrast. The photo with silhouette taken under the bridge arch is special!

Casket

Link Posted 24/06/2016 - 07:31
Thanks Mike and Ronnie. The one under the bridge arch is my favourite as well - I think I will finally take the step and actually do a print of that one to hang in the living room somewhere. I absolutely love these kind of dramatic black & whites, they add so much depth and ambiance. If only there was a demand for this style.

redbusa99

Link Posted 24/06/2016 - 10:38
great set of B&W, i too like the look and often use the "Film Noire" preset in Silver Efex as a starting point on subjects
K3 II and the odd lens or 2

Flickr

Quinemb

Link Posted 24/06/2016 - 19:29
Nice photos, i like it!

cardiffgareth

Link Posted 26/06/2016 - 21:34
ronniemac wrote:
Good set of photos. I do like the high contrast. The photo with silhouette taken under the bridge arch is special!

Agree, this image for me also is the stand out image
Gareth
Welsh Photographer

My outfit: K1 gripped - Pentax DFA 28-105mm - Sigma 70-200mm HSM Macro - Sigma 105mm - Pentax FA 35mm f2 - Tokina 20-35mm, Sigma 50-500mm - Pentax AF 540 FGZ Ii

My Flickr

My 500px
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.