Getting even closer with the HD DA 1.4x!
Posted 24/09/2018 - 10:27
Link
Glad you're happy with the 1.4x Dan - I knew you wouldn't regret it
Another nice set - keep em coming
Another nice set - keep em coming
LennyBloke
Posted 24/09/2018 - 20:51
Link
Great clarity and impressive magnification! You've got in and filled the frame and the points of focus are spot on, so technically great captures.
As photographs I think they could be improved in presentation ..... for example, I find they are mostly all about 0.5 - 0.7 stops overexposed, plus there seems to be a rather fluorescent quality to the colours. I would suggest looking at the yellow colour channel and making some adjustments towards a more natural tone.
As photographs I think they could be improved in presentation ..... for example, I find they are mostly all about 0.5 - 0.7 stops overexposed, plus there seems to be a rather fluorescent quality to the colours. I would suggest looking at the yellow colour channel and making some adjustments towards a more natural tone.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 26/09/2018 - 16:40
Link
Like you, Dan, I have found this combination ideal for skittish dragonflies which can be sensitive to a camera, lens and its user getting a little too close. The clarity and detail are stunning - I can see your results are the same! I'm also looking forward to trying the converter with the DFA100 WR Macro lens to see how those two work together.
Andrew
Andrew
Posted 26/09/2018 - 21:59
Link
It's certainly an ace tele-convertor that can hold detail very well
Gareth Williams ARPS
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
Instagram
My PPG
Foundation NFT
My outfit: K1ii - Pentax D FA 24-70mm f2.8 - Pentax DA* 300mm f4 - Pentax modified DA* 60-250mm f4 - Irix 15mm Firefly - Pentax FA 35mm - FA 50mm f1.4 - Tamron SP 90mm macro - Pentax AF 540 FGZ II
Welsh Photographer
Flickr
My PPG
Foundation NFT
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


2176 posts
19 years
West Midlands
This is sort of a mini-review of the teleconverter at the same time. I'll let the pictures do most of the talking though.
Migrant Hawker with DA* 300 + HD DA 1.4x.
002 by Daniel Perlak, on Flickr
003 by Daniel Perlak, on Flickr
This lens is so sharp even with the teleconverter. I've not noticed any loss in resolution on the K-5. Cropping certainly doesn't give me the same magnification and detail gains as using the TC. The image below is practically the whole frame, very minimal compositional cropping (over 90% of the frame).
005 by Daniel Perlak, on Flickr
With the aperture wide open depth of field is obviously very shallow. The sharpness is still there in the sliver of focus. It isn't visible below because of the resolution of Flickr but the lenses on the eyes are starting to be resolved on the full size image, there is plenty of detail and texture. Bokeh isn't quite as nice as without the TC though, seems a bit nervous in places.
006 by Daniel Perlak, on Flickr
Ruddy Darter with DFA 100 WR + HD DA 1.4x.
90%+ of the frame just cropped a bit for composition.
027 by Daniel Perlak, on Flickr
Again nearly the full frame cropped only for a slight composition adjustment, Loads of detail and contrast. Great for the increase in magnification and/or working distance.
030 by Daniel Perlak, on Flickr
I didn't manage to get down the minimum focus distance/maximum magnification. This darter was very skittish and that is about as close as I managed.
All in all the teleconverter is amazing with both these lenses. It has given me a 420mm f5.6 telephoto and a 140mm f4 super-macro. I am very pleased with the image quality with negligible loss in resolution or increase in aberrations. There is more than enough resolving power for the K-5 and therefore the K-1 (almost identical pixel density)(now all I need is a K-1).
Dan
https://www.flickr.com/photos/honourabletyr/