Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Generic Petal Lens Hoods

Posted 24/02/2010 - 10:09 Link
Dear All, I've got a used Tamron 24-135 coming as a cheapish solution to a trip where I won't be able to take much - and it hasn't got a hood. I wondered if anybody had any experience with these
these? (you can get them on eBay too).

It can probably be modded easily if it vignettes at all - using the profiles on lenshoods.net - and not being reversible for storage isn't a problem for me. But (a) any idea if you can fit a lens cap with the hood attached (looks like a maybe to me from the pictures) and (b) are they just cheap and nasty tat?

Regards and thanks,
Neal
stu49
Posted 24/02/2010 - 16:46 Link
Haven't tried those but I would imagine they're a nuisance if the front element rotates !?

I use 3 stage rubber hoods on my lenses, unless they come with designed for petal ones You can collapse the hood at wide angles too

Stu - K10D | DFA 100/2.8 Macro | DA 55-300 | AF-360FGZ |

So much to learn... So little time !
iceblinker
Posted 24/02/2010 - 16:57 Link
Fortunately, the front element doesn't rotate for the lens in question.

I did have one of these screw-on petal hoods for a while, but sorry I can't remember whether it can take a cap.

A multi-stage rubber hood would give the advantage of more shading for your telephoto shots when fully extended. The better ones on eBay can take a cap.
~Pete
Posted 24/02/2010 - 22:26 Link
Turns out it came with a hood And a bag which was another bonus - I swear the description only said caps and box.

So all a bit academic really, but many thanks for the comments. I had thought about about the multi-stage rubber hoods and I've got a couple for other lenses. But I just don't get on with them any more. I used to like rubber hoods when all I had was (cheap and nasty) primes. I think it's the having to adjust them with zooms - granted that's the point and makes them more effective - I suppose it's just sheer laziness.

I really like the metal Heliopan ones - but they're not cheap and in any case they don't seem to do one in 72mm, and if they did even the short version would probably be too long in this case. If I still needed one. Which I don't...

Thanks
Neal

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.