Gardner Douglas Mk4

K10D

Link Posted 30/12/2012 - 11:44
It's a year since the basic parts arrived in Oz. Now only a few weeks away from registration. Basic spec's: 6Lt V8 LS3 500BHP engine, Tremec 6 speed manual gearbox, Willwood brakes and a rather special diff.

This is the chassis that has passed the Australian Design Rules Test as shown scrolled across the website link.

Still plenty to do prior to registration but its been an interesting project. It is the only one in Australia.

Best regards

Stuey

Link Posted 30/12/2012 - 11:52
Wow

I have had the spanners out on a number of kit cars for many long hours (never my own) but nothing that seems as sorted as this

It looks fantastic, serious attention to detail etc - I assume that the fuel tank will live at the rear - have you gone for an alloy or collapsable tank

I reckon the sound will be envy inducing as well

That 'AC Cobra' shape is timeless

Cheers

Stu
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

K10D

Link Posted 30/12/2012 - 11:59
It's an ally tank but I must point out that it's not a kit car. GD are a low volume manufacturer. Have a look at their site. The level of engineering goes above and beyond that of a kit car.

Best regards

Stuey

Link Posted 30/12/2012 - 12:05
Apologies with the kit car reference - not meant in any negative way - I have always thought of anything that requires an element of construction after purchase to be a kit car but I accept my error and as mentioned above that looks very nice and very well sorted

I have always fancied a TVR but these are meant to be a kit car in reverse in that you park them on the drive and they slowly disassemble themselves:
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

robbieclark

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 18:30
if it's not a kit car what is it then?
As an ex caterham owner I know what you mean. Many kit car require fabrication skills, this kind of thing doesn't as everything fits as it should. I've heard people describe the high quality kits as component cars.

Car looks lovely by the way
Last Edited by robbieclark on 05/01/2013 - 18:37

Crossed-up

Link Posted 05/01/2013 - 22:29
That is a fantastic project K10D! I did a trackday with GD Cars and their owners several years back (must have been around '06). I was very impressed with the Lola T70 'replicas' they brought along, but most were Cobras similar to yours. I had a great time playing with them all day in the Crossfire. I think most were LS2 powered (400ish bhp?) and could kill me on the straights. I've got some old video footage and some pics somewhere, I'll have to dig them out.
My Images
K1 II|K3|DA10-17|DA*16-50|FA31|DA*50-135|DA*200|DA*300|Sigma 150-500

K10D

Link Posted 06/01/2013 - 00:17
robbieclark wrote:
if it's not a kit car what is it then?
As an ex caterham owner I know what you mean. Many kit car require fabrication skills, this kind of thing doesn't as everything fits as it should. I've heard people describe the high quality kits as component cars.

Car looks lovely by the way

I've always considered kit cars as those requiring donor components from other vehicles. A local kit here in WA requires Jag suspension, brakes and diff etcetera, the GD uses bespoke parts. There is a certain amount of engineering involved even down to assembling the drive shafts and hydraulic clutch correctly. You also do not get a step by step detailed build manual.

It has two wiring harnesses, the MAST system and the GD system.

If you have all of the components prior to build commencement it can be called a kit of parts.

Best regards

generator

Link Posted 07/01/2013 - 10:35
now that a nice car i had 3 you know lol
Thanks Richard
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.