Gallery Views

davidstorm
Posted 26/04/2012 - 20:01 Link
I was amazed when browsing through the Gallery this evening to see that Shaun Wilson's picture 'Dark clouds' posted yesterday has had over 470 views! The picture is a stunner, as are most of Shaun's images, so no surprise it attracted attention, but I would be interested to know if this is an all-time record for the number of views in the Gallery on a single day? Perhaps even the record for total views on any number of days?

Can anyone answer this question?

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Charlotte
Posted 26/04/2012 - 20:07 Link
'tisn't the record for any number of days.

https://www.pentaxuser.com/photo/rachel-number-3----at-last---3433

that one has had 1292 views.

If you filter the gallery for the most viewed photos you'll see that naked ladies are the most popular.

That one of Shaun's is no. 18 at the moment.
Edited by Charlotte: 26/04/2012 - 20:09
davidstorm
Posted 26/04/2012 - 20:18 Link
Charlotte wrote:
If you filter the gallery for the most viewed photos you'll see that naked ladies are the most popular.
Thanks Charlotte, I'm being a bit thick, hadn't realised you could filter by the number of views! No surprises with the naked ladies, but all the more impressive that Shaun's is a landscape (seascape) shot with not a hint of naked flesh anywhere in the vicinity!

I wonder what it is that makes people click on a certain thumbnail more so than others, considering it's often very difficult to gauge the quality of an image from just the thumbnail view? So often it needs the 'large' view to fully appreciate the quality of a picture, but I suppose that some just hit you in the eyes even on the thumbnail and Shaun's image is one of these.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 26/04/2012 - 20:19
davidstorm
Posted 26/04/2012 - 20:55 Link
I've had another look at the Gallery 'most viewed' images, and in the top 100 there are only 2 shots that are not of naked ladies! Browse a bit further down though and the mix starts to change - there are some truly wonderful images in there, much better than the general standard on PPG.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Frogfish
Posted 27/04/2012 - 12:55 Link
davidstorm wrote:
I've had another look at the Gallery 'most viewed' images, and in the top 100 there are only 2 shots that are not of naked ladies!
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone considering the internet's most frequent use / most number of page hits is ... porn ! In fact I remember reading somewhere that that was in fact the original reason behind it's invention
http://frogfish.smugmug.com/ Pentax. Pentax DA*300/4, Cosina 55/1.2, Lens Baby Composer Pro & Edge 80, AFA x1.7, Metz 50 af1.
Nikon. D800. D600. Sigma 500/4.5, Nikon 300/2.8 VRII, Sigma 120-300/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 21/2.8, Zeiss Distagon ZF2 35/2.0, Sigma 50/1.4, Nikkor 85/1.8, Nikon TC20EIII, Nikon TC14EII, Kenko x1.4, Sigma 2.0
Gwyn
Posted 27/04/2012 - 13:11 Link
I just looked at the top 40 views and there are 15 which are not of women in various states of undress. Including Shaun's photo.
greynolds999
Posted 27/04/2012 - 13:30 Link
And, to be fair, a lot of those photos are Timbo's, so will have had a lot of views because they are very good, not just because of the content.
fatspider
Posted 27/04/2012 - 13:55 Link
try searching for most viewed again but don't include nude/glamour, then see how many page views images get

EDIT, there are still a few glamour images pop up but they've not been tagged properly
My Names Alan, and I'm a lensaholic.
My PPG link
My Flckr link
Edited by fatspider: 27/04/2012 - 13:57
Father Ted
Posted 27/04/2012 - 14:20 Link
I had to go to page 25 to find one of mine (108 views).
I must be photographing the wrong things.
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
johnriley
Posted 27/04/2012 - 14:46 Link
I'm happy to have my first image on Page Three.....
Best regards, John
Frogherder
Posted 27/04/2012 - 14:52 Link
If you set the view to 40 per page then you'll be on page 1


Bernard
Joe S
Posted 27/04/2012 - 17:37 Link
Frogfish wrote:
davidstorm wrote:
I've had another look at the Gallery 'most viewed' images, and in the top 100 there are only 2 shots that are not of naked ladies!
This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone considering the internet's most frequent use / most number of page hits is ... porn ! In fact I remember reading somewhere that that was in fact the original reason behind it's invention
I think the US government and military would be less than happy to hear this. Sure, there's plenty of evidence US army staff like pictures of human involved in reproductive activities. However, the motivation was to build a distributed defence system against nuclear attack. It is often said, though, that porn have been if not THE then one major driving forces for commercial use of the Internet.

Must see that top 100 now
Hi. My name is Joel and I'm a travelholic.
Stolen kit: Pentax K7 #3428965 and Pentax FA 43mm #0028350
timbo
Posted 28/04/2012 - 18:20 Link
I never knew about that feature, it's quite interesting.

Charlotte wrote:

If you filter the gallery for the most viewed photos you'll see that naked ladies are the most popular.
Well Charlotte unfortunately men's brains are programmed by evolution to be attracted to the female form, and there's nothing we can do about it I'm afraid.

However, I do try to make my images be about the beauty of the female form rather than sexual attraction, so that hopefully women may like my images as well.
Charlotte
Posted 28/04/2012 - 20:07 Link
Tim,
Yours are works of art that go way beyond being just a photo of naked ladies.
bwlchmawr
Posted 28/04/2012 - 20:16 Link
Charlotte wrote:
Tim,
Yours are works of art that go way beyond being just a photo of naked ladies.
Quite. If they didn't then one would soon become bored with them.
davidstorm wrote:
there are some truly wonderful images in there, much better than the general standard on PPG.

Regards
David
Only an opinion, I know, but this comment of David's suggests just how far this forum has evolved, considering PPG's reputation for excellence.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo