FYI, Windows XP Sp3 available - be careful

amoringello
Posted 08/05/2008 - 18:42 Link
Well, Windows XP Service pack 3 is out and available via Windows Update.
I installed it last night and after about two hours I had , well , er, um... I had a nice door stop.

Spent the morning doing a complete system restore. (Luckily I do full disk level backups twice a week and most of my important data is on a stable Linux system.)

Lots of people have had no problems but I have heard of others destroying their system as well. For an OS that has little to no history or reputation of stability, I would take any care necessary when instituting any change into the system.

Anyway, if you have the temptation to update to Sp3, be sure to backup any important data.
iceblinker
Posted 08/05/2008 - 19:29 Link
Thank you very much for the warning.

I will backup just before I try it!
~Pete
Malo1961
Posted 08/05/2008 - 19:36 Link
Well, its is of no concern for me any longer. Last week I have switched completely. I wiped Vista of my new laptop and installed the latest Linux UBUNTU 8.04. I decided this after testing Ubuntu 7.0 for a period of six months. The latest version has all the troubles solved, concerning wireless network connections. On the other Old Dell desktop Win. XP SP2 remains. Until it dies off course. But my other half is only using that one.
No more worries about viruses and other windows related problems.
Martin.
Best regards,

Martin.


Curious about my photography?? Just Follow the Light.
iceblinker
Posted 08/05/2008 - 21:14 Link
Just installed SP3 on my laptop OK.
~Pete
woodworm
Posted 08/05/2008 - 21:34 Link
I've always found Windows XP to be very reliable and think it gets a bit of unfair stick - I've installed SP3 on several desktops and laptops in the last couple of days without any issues and will be rolling it out around the rest of the company in the near future.

Moving to Leopard or Linux (or anything else) won't save you from security updates or viruses; you still have to install (patches and anti virus software) and update them and when you do, you should backup any important data. There are less viruses aimed at these OS's but they are still at risk and the numbers are rising. If you go on the internet, then you are probably at risk to some degree.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not saying XP is the best, most feature rich or the most secure - but like any system, if it's well maintained (patches, anti virus, etc) it is reliable, it does do pretty much anything most people would require and it is reasonably secure.

Just thought I would stick up for XP as it's a perfectly good operating system

Can't speak for Vista though - haven't really used it yet ......

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo