Full Frame Lenses
Posted 25/09/2015 - 21:50
Link
Mike-P wrote:
I remember the green cubs uniform was very scratchy and I had to wear a thing called a woggle, if you can believe that. The whole ritualistic thing was very embarrassing so I didn't last long. bwlchmawr wrote:
I went fishing once, Mike. Once.
Mind you, I joined the scouts as a kid ... that didn't last long either once I was told I had to hand in the money I earned on Bob a job week. I went fishing once, Mike. Once.
My poor father was very disappointed in me. (Not for the first or last time, I'm sure.) He was a very clubable man. That was when I discovered I wasn't...
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 25/09/2015 - 22:01
Link
Sigh.. Email notifications bringing me to off-topic banter.
Posted 25/09/2015 - 22:49
Link
Repeat offenders..
Posted 26/09/2015 - 11:42
Link
This new Pentax FF 24-70 DOES fill a real gap though, surely .... Even if the gap was created by the withdrawal of a Tamron option in K mount, it fills it but adds more. We get the Tamron PLUS ... Plus whatever Pentax have added to the mix. Certainly it looks the part. ....
How many of us will be able to source top quality F or FA equivalents? The question is about the added value on top of the Tamron base, and the price for that. It doesn't have the in-lens stabilisation, so that makes it cheaper than the Canon and Nikon versions .... But it has the special Pentax coatings and other optical refinements, the quick shift, WR and the style to match the new body. That all sounds very much worth it, surely ....
How many of us will be able to source top quality F or FA equivalents? The question is about the added value on top of the Tamron base, and the price for that. It doesn't have the in-lens stabilisation, so that makes it cheaper than the Canon and Nikon versions .... But it has the special Pentax coatings and other optical refinements, the quick shift, WR and the style to match the new body. That all sounds very much worth it, surely ....
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 26/09/2015 - 12:05
Link
McGregNi wrote:
This new Pentax FF 24-70 DOES fill a real gap though, surely .... Even if the gap was created by the withdrawal of a Tamron option in K mount, it fills it but adds more. We get the Tamron PLUS ... Plus whatever Pentax have added to the mix. Certainly it looks the part. ....
How many of us will be able to source top quality F or FA equivalents? The question is about the added value on top of the Tamron base, and the price for that. It doesn't have the in-lens stabilisation, so that makes it cheaper than the Canon and Nikon versions .... But it has the special Pentax coatings and other optical refinements, the quick shift, WR and the style to match the new body. That all sounds very much worth it, surely ....
Everything is worth it, If you can afford it in the first place, a £100,000 Maserati is worth it I just can't afford one, but someone can.This new Pentax FF 24-70 DOES fill a real gap though, surely .... Even if the gap was created by the withdrawal of a Tamron option in K mount, it fills it but adds more. We get the Tamron PLUS ... Plus whatever Pentax have added to the mix. Certainly it looks the part. ....
How many of us will be able to source top quality F or FA equivalents? The question is about the added value on top of the Tamron base, and the price for that. It doesn't have the in-lens stabilisation, so that makes it cheaper than the Canon and Nikon versions .... But it has the special Pentax coatings and other optical refinements, the quick shift, WR and the style to match the new body. That all sounds very much worth it, surely ....
£1200 is a lot of money for a standard zoom lens in anybody's book, especially when there are cheaper alternatives out there.
Posted 26/09/2015 - 12:42
Link
I don't think a 100,000 pound car is equivilent' in value terms at all. Could you list all of the available alternatives you know of? I'd be very interested as I can't afford 1,149 yet either !
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 26/09/2015 - 13:26
Link
McGregNi wrote:
I don't think a 100,000 pound car is equivilent' in value terms at all. Could you list all of the available alternatives you know of? I'd be very interested as I can't afford 1,149 yet either !
Well put it this way, a Ford will get me to work and back just as easily as a Maserati would, just like Sigmas 24-70mm f2.8 for £499 currently at srs will in my eyes be just as good for less then half the price as a fast standard zoom.I don't think a 100,000 pound car is equivilent' in value terms at all. Could you list all of the available alternatives you know of? I'd be very interested as I can't afford 1,149 yet either !
And then you have the vast secondhand market, with even bigger savings to be had, I just don't think launching a £1200 standard zoom lens 6 months before the camera nobody knows anything about.
Yes Canon/Nikon can, as they have a huge worldwide Pro market to deal with and those markets will pay this sort of money.
Myself I am 99.9% sure I will be buying the FF Pentax, but I am also 100% sure I will not be buying this lens and going for the Sigma either new or used and putting the savings to either the Camera or another lens or two.
This is only my personal view of course based on my finances currently, now if I win the lottery tonight I will drive to srs in my £100,000 car to buy the Pentax lens.
Posted 26/09/2015 - 13:48
Link
Ok, so does the new Pentax not offer anything extra over and above the Sigma, nothing worth spending some extra on?
In reality, the prices I would be comparing are really the post release settled street price we might be seeing next year ... Perhaps 949 ... ?
In reality, the prices I would be comparing are really the post release settled street price we might be seeing next year ... Perhaps 949 ... ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Posted 26/09/2015 - 13:53
Link
I'm willing to bet it will be available bundled with the FF body at a big discount.
Posted 26/09/2015 - 14:40
Link
The 28-70mm FA* lens started life at £1299.00 and that was a very long time ago. So the price of the new 24-70mm lens is very competitive by comparison.
Prices will also ease over time and no doubt packages will be available.
Prices will also ease over time and no doubt packages will be available.
Best regards, John
Posted 26/09/2015 - 15:05
Link
I would of liked to have seen a lens like Canons 24-105mm f4 or Nikons 24-120mm as well for around £600 or less, then it gives us a choice and our wallets a bit of breathing space.
They then could offer the camera and f2.8 lens for £2999 and the f4 camera/lens package for say £2299, then you have options for all markets.
They then could offer the camera and f2.8 lens for £2999 and the f4 camera/lens package for say £2299, then you have options for all markets.
Posted 26/09/2015 - 22:06
Link
Marat wrote:
I would of liked to have seen a lens like Canons 24-105mm f4 or Nikons 24-120mm as well for around £600 or less, then it gives us a choice and our wallets a bit of breathing space.
They then could offer the camera and f2.8 lens for £2999 and the f4 camera/lens package for say £2299, then you have options for all markets.
...or even an SMC Pentax FA 24-90mm f3.5-4.5 IF AL with ghostless coating and an aperture ring - They had one of those in their line-up towards the end of their film days. How much do you think they would sell for?
I would of liked to have seen a lens like Canons 24-105mm f4 or Nikons 24-120mm as well for around £600 or less, then it gives us a choice and our wallets a bit of breathing space.
They then could offer the camera and f2.8 lens for £2999 and the f4 camera/lens package for say £2299, then you have options for all markets.
LennyBloke
Posted 27/09/2015 - 15:59
Link
LennyBloke wrote:
But you're missing the point the whole point of the FF body is to fill the missing gap, why would you then spend time rushing to release none fast glass? Imagine they where to release a 3.5-4.5 speed zoom lens the outcry would be massive of Pentax selling the brand short etc...Marat wrote:
I would of liked to have seen a lens like Canons 24-105mm f4 or Nikons 24-120mm as well for around £600 or less, then it gives us a choice and our wallets a bit of breathing space.
They then could offer the camera and f2.8 lens for £2999 and the f4 camera/lens package for say £2299, then you have options for all markets.
...or even an SMC Pentax FA 24-90mm f3.5-4.5 IF AL with ghostless coating and an aperture ring - They had one of those in their line-up towards the end of their film days. How much do you think they would sell for? I would of liked to have seen a lens like Canons 24-105mm f4 or Nikons 24-120mm as well for around £600 or less, then it gives us a choice and our wallets a bit of breathing space.
They then could offer the camera and f2.8 lens for £2999 and the f4 camera/lens package for say £2299, then you have options for all markets.
As for the price of the 24-70mm its in the same ball park as other marques lenses, I wouldn't have expected anything else to be honest.
I would expect the 24-105mm f/4 lens to be next on the road map to add as kit lens as Nikon and Canon have done with their FF bodies in the past.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Concert photography
Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


13627 posts
18 years
Hythe,
Hampshire UK
I went fishing once, Mike. Once.
Mind you, I joined the scouts as a kid ... that didn't last long either once I was told I had to hand in the money I earned on Bob a job week.