Full Frame.

vic cross

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 20:45
On the other forum it has just been confirmed Pentax are thinking about a FF in an interview with the USA pentax forum.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

Smeggypants

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 21:05
Is that a similar confirmation that they were thinking about making an FF camera to the one they made two weeks ago, or have there been some new developments on the thinking front since then?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
Last Edited by Smeggypants on 18/02/2013 - 21:06

Jonathan-Mac

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 21:34
I think about many things, few of them come to pass.
Pentax hybrid user - Digital K3 & K200D, film 645 and 35mm SLR and Pentax (&other) lenses adapted to Fuji X digital
Fan of DA limited and old manual lenses

JohnMcD

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 22:10
I'm not really sure what the fuss over FF is.

As far as I can see if you're using FF lenses on APS-C sensors then you're using the best part of the lens.

Start using the whole thing again and you end up showing up weaknesses in the lens in the corners etc.

I know there are some advantages regarding noise but the sensors are getting higher resolutions and lower noise all the time so unless you want to eat megapixels for breakfast I think we have the best of both worlds at the moment.

I think the main reason for FF is marketing and bragging rights. You're not a serious camera company unless you produce a possibly loss leading FF camers.

simonkit

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 23:02
JohnMcD wrote:
I'm not really sure what the fuss over FF is.

As far as I can see if you're using FF lenses on APS-C sensors then you're using the best part of the lens.

Start using the whole thing again and you end up showing up weaknesses in the lens in the corners etc.

I know there are some advantages regarding noise but the sensors are getting higher resolutions and lower noise all the time so unless you want to eat megapixels for breakfast I think we have the best of both worlds at the moment.

I think the main reason for FF is marketing and bragging rights. You're not a serious camera company unless you produce a possibly loss leading FF camers.

I'm sure there's some Pr involved but one of the main interests in fullframe for many, me included, is the extra detail that the larger sensor captures...this is quite a good article explaining the pros & cons..

link

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link
Last Edited by simonkit on 18/02/2013 - 23:03

Pheo

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 23:09
Biggest concern for me is the glass. A) is enough decent glass available B) can I afford it C) do I want to carry it around (likely to be bigger)

Ultimately, I'm nowhere near maxing out the capabilities of My K-01 and K-30... so I wouldn't be in any rush to upgrade

dangie

Link Posted 18/02/2013 - 23:13
Quote:

...it has just been confirmed Pentax are thinking about a FF...

Must be amongst the top ten of most pointless interview answers ever..!!
6th Year Apprentice Pensioner

johnha

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 00:44
The lenses shouldn't really be a problem. There are enough F, FA & FA Ltds out there and if Pentax aren't able to provide a full range there are enough independents who would be able to fill the gaps - full frame Pentax lenses aren't rocket science.

The advantages for me are better wide-angle options and better control of depth of field. Also many of the current lenses work better for me on FF (i.e. 35mm, 40/43mm & 50mm) than they do on APS-C.

Whether I'd be inclined to add a (presumably expensive) FF to my K-5 is another question, it depends on the cost. Then again I have a bagful of K, M, A, F & FA lenses (plus independents) ready to use.
PPG Flickr

LennyBloke

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 07:37
I'm not sure that there are enough F, FA and FA Limited out there if Pentax were to launch a Full-Frame. I know several Pentax users who don't own any of the older lenses, and if an FF appears and they start to seek out FF glass then supplies will become very limited (excuse the pun ).

If the mythical FF does arrive then I would expect a pair of matching FF lenses to be announced - probably in the 24-70 and 70-210 ish ranges. Later a full range of Pentax SMC-DFFA lenses, from 6mm to 2000mm will appear! Okay, now I'm moving into the realms of wishful thinking
LennyBloke

vic cross

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 08:26
Now Now fellas, carm down. I didn't say I wanted one. when I said THINKING about it I was quoting an interview that the USA forum have just had with some Pentax bigwigs when the Pentax bods said they are working on it. Look up the website and check for yourselves.
CHEERS Vic.
Born again biker with lots of Pentax bits. Every day I wake up is a good day. I'm so old I don't even buy green bananas.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 08:35
I'm going to rush into things. I'm going to think about watching the interview where Pentax are thinking about working on a ff camera and then I'll think things over.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

vic cross

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 08:44
No need to be sarcastic Doc.
webmaster@pentaxforums.com That's the address. Look it up.
CHEERS Vic.

DrOrloff

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 09:30
Just a bit of whimsy Vic with all the talk about all the talk.
You can see some of my photos here if you are so inclined

Mike-P

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 09:44
I thought Pentax had been thinking about making a FF body for years .. infact they even made a prototype.

They certainly don't move fast over there do they
. My Flickr

Stanovich

Link Posted 19/02/2013 - 11:10
Mike-P wrote:
I thought Pentax had been thinking about making a FF body for years ..

I already have one, it's called an ME Super!

Joking aside, it wouldn't surprise me if a FF Pentax came out before long, but at the moment it seems that all we are hearing is thinking and speculation. Logically though there is a gap at this point in the Pentax range between the K5 and the 645D (how many people here own, or are considering, a 645D?).

It seems to me that there's something of a convergence of technology going on. Image quality with smaller sensors is improving (24Mp without noise penalties?), giving weight and size advantages for camera and lenses; on the other hand I suspect it won't be long before a 24x36 sensor appears in a body no heavier than the K5's (I think the Nikon D600 isn't far off anyway), though rather longer before the price comes down to the same level.
K5IIs & ME Super with FA24-90, DA17-70, DA55-300, misc old primes; Fuji X20.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.