FS Superb Tamron SP 500/8 lens. Boxed with PK adapter

JonSchick

Link Posted 18/01/2015 - 15:47
Purchased on this forum a couple of years ago, this lens is the best condition Tamron 500/8 I've seen. Very well cared-for with only minor signs of careful use, it comes cased (case also in good condition) with hood, front and rear caps, spare rear cap, and includes the "normal" rear filter (an important part of the original design often missing from these lenses secondhand). No haze or fungus. I am also happy to include a Tamron PK adapter which will allow the lens to be used on any K bayonet camera including the latest dSLRs (manual focus and manual exposure only).

A great deal of fun if you're prepared to put some effort in learning how to get the best out of it, the lens is a cost-effective way of getting a 500mm lens for the occasional user, and also has surprisingly good macro/close focus ability.

Priced sensibly at £100 including insured postage within the UK, please PM with any questions. I am happy to accept bank transfer or PayPal (buyer pays fees) and will consider posting abroad - please ask for a postage quote.

Cheers,

Jon

JonSchick

Link Posted 26/01/2015 - 21:12
Bump - still available and open to sensible offers.

Cheers,

Jon

andy_bell

Link Posted 27/01/2015 - 08:30
If I didn't already have a perfect copy I'd snap your hands off,
If you can cope with manual focus this would be a fantastically cheap way to a long lens......the equivalent of 750mm FOV on an APS-C camera.....
A few bits & Bobs

JonSchick

Link Posted 31/01/2015 - 12:01
Bump. Still available. If you're not sure what it's capable of and worried about the reputation of mirror lenses, here are some of my Tamron mirror shots, all mounted on Pentax bodies:

Cheers,

Jon

reso

Link Posted 31/01/2015 - 14:43
I can say that the tamron 500 is about the best mirror lens out there if I hadent just bought mine I would have had it myself if you can cope with manual focus go for it a very capable lens

Phill
k5iis sigma 10-20 3,5 hsm pentax da 16-45 f4 tamron 17-50 2.8 pentax 17-70 f4 sigma 18-125 hsm sigma af 24 2.8 pentax f 35-70 sigma 50-200 hsm os
sigma 50-500 apo dg os kenko 1.5 pz af 1.5 tele tamron pz af 2.0 tele and a flash
pentax *ist film camera

michaelblue

Link Posted 31/01/2015 - 15:52
This, and the one I have (The Sigma 600mm) are the only two mirror lenses worth bothering with.......nice examples above Phil.
Regards,
Michael
My new website:link

JonSchick

Link Posted 16/02/2015 - 22:35
Bump.... I thought it had sold but apparently not.

Unfortunately the buyer said they'd paid the wrong PayPal account (lesson there about always double-checking account numbers and/or spellings before you press the button to send money over the interweb....) and I've not heard from them in over two weeks now.

It's a shame but as the buyer has subsequently been silent (I can see they have opened messages from me but have not responded) I've reluctantly decided that they must have lost interest, so the lens is available for sale again to other interested folk.

It's just as good as it was when I posted this thread a month ago! Sensible offers close to the asking price will be given serious consideration.

Any questions please feel free to PM.

Cheers,

Jon

boudou701

Link Posted 17/02/2015 - 08:33
I would have no use for it sadly, but just wanted to say that picture of the elephant is pretty cool!
KX film, ME Super, K-S2
Pentax 10-17mm, Sigma 10-20mm, Tamron 17-50mm, Pentax 55-300mm
Sigma 20mm f1.8, Sigma 24mm f2.8, Sigma 30mm f1.4, Pentax A 50mm f1.7, Pentax K 55mm f1.8
Metz 36 AF-4
--> borrow or rent Photography equipment from people around you on Needy Monkey - link

JonSchick

Link Posted 17/02/2015 - 20:11
boudou701 wrote:
I would have no use for it sadly, but just wanted to say that picture of the elephant is pretty cool!

Thanks - actually it was the first photo I had accepted into PPG so I'm particularly fond of it! Forgot to add, just in case anyone was worried, obviously this lens will also be fully compatible with the upcoming FF

JonSchick

Link Posted 24/02/2015 - 11:56
Bump - still available and will accept sensible offers close to asking price

dcweather

Link Posted 24/02/2015 - 17:53
Anyone worried about manual focus it works great with "Catch in Focus" feature.

JonSchick

Link Posted 24/02/2015 - 19:13
dcweather wrote:
Anyone worried about manual focus it works great with "Catch in Focus" feature.

Absolutely - that's how many of the shots above were taken.

johnha

Link Posted 24/02/2015 - 20:57
Hi Jon,

I can't believe this hasn't been snapped up (the mount alone is worth £15). I have one - they're superb ways into very long lenses (but in a compact, lightweight & manageable 'FF' compatible package). In film days the fixed f/8 was a bit of a pain but with a DSLR & in-body SR this becomes almost insignificant. Being a mirror lens, CA is almost insignificant (you need an awful lot of fancy 'APO' glass to achieve that in a refractor this long).

John.
PPG Flickr
Last Edited by johnha on 24/02/2015 - 20:59

JonSchick

Link Posted 24/02/2015 - 21:50
Abe_Normal wrote:
What is the ribbed nut with a screw thread protruding from it? In the first and second pictures, between the lens and its hood.

Hi - I've never used it, but it's a spacer for a tripod - so if the lens is too chunky to allow you to mount the camera on a tripod, this spacer (which also has a threaded tripod hole you can't see underneath) gives you a bit more room to play with. It's been entirely unnecessary for my use of the lens, which has either been with a Redsnapper ballhead or Manfrotto monopod. One or two of the shots above were handheld, but it's better to use some form of support if you can.

Cheers,

Jon

mcrtchly

Link Posted 25/02/2015 - 08:36
PM sent
‘Love Adventure, Love Travel, Live Life’

Instagram: www.instagram.com/purplepeakadventures
Youtube: www.youtube.com/purplepeakadventures
Facebook: www.facebook.com/PurplePeakAdventures
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.