FS: SMC Pentax AF 35-70mm 2.8

tomw

Link Posted 25/08/2012 - 21:02
£100
Free P&P (Next Day Delivery)
UK Only

This is a rare SMC Pentax AF 35-70mm 2.8 that was launched with the ME F, and was the world's first 35mm interchangeable lens AF SLR. Although not a commercial success, it still produces great images when used with modern DSLR's in stop-down metering mode.

It can also be a great collector's piece, with its significant place in photographic history.

Its in great condition with the a few signs of wear with one or two small marks around the barrel area (See photos). The only issue is that the original "passed" sticker is peeling off, although it would be very easy to glue it back on.

Optically its in superb condition with no marks on the glass and there is no fungus or haze at all.

Ever since I bought it two years ago it has had careful, occasional use with the lens filter in place from day one. (A practice that I use with all my lenses.)

Front and rear lens caps included, also comes with the UV filter.

Paypal ONLY.

Samples:
link
link
link
Tom

ivandobski

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 14:15
Is this fully manual or does it work via the DSLR body and has manual focus?

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 14:26
The Auto-Focus only works with the Pentax-ME-F 35mm camera...

On all other cameras it will work only as a manual lens...

Most ME-F's on sale these days come with a manual fifty, crappy zoom or body only, so this really is a collectors piece...

If you're after an AF 2.8 lens for a dslr this ain't it... But if you have or would like a copy of the ME-F you'll want to snap its hand off!

Unfortunately I'm brassic or I'd nab it myself...
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

George Lazarette

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 14:39
I believe it is auto-focus only on the Pentax ME-F body. On other bodies it is manual-focus.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

tomw

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 15:12
Dave is absolutely correct. Despite it being fully manual on anything but the ME F, the constant 2.8 minimum aperture is what made it appeal to me in the first place. Just to mention that the focus ring is smooth with the "brrr" of the motor still audible when turning the focus ring, and that the battery compartment is free of corrosion.
Tom

womble

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 17:55
Does the AF still work with the ME-F? Many of these lenses no longer have functioning AF. I know, as my version is no more than a paperweight. Ohhhh this is so tempting...!

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

tomw

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 18:17
Sorry, I haven't been able to test the AF as I don't have an ME F. However, if you should buy it and it doesn't work you could return it and you would be fully refunded. From my assumptions I personally do not see a reason why it wouldn't work as the contacts are clean, the battery compartment has no corrosion and the AF ring turns smoothly.
Tom
Last Edited by tomw on 26/08/2012 - 18:18

Algernon

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 18:34
The push-on rubber lens hood is well worth having it
extends the MF grip and is so rigid that you can
actually turn the end of the lens hood. Very rare
but did come with the lens. Fits any 58mm filter
lens. 60mm push fit.

It's a pity they didn't make more push-on hoods,
they are a lot quicker to put on and remove than
screw or bayonet hoods.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 26/08/2012 - 20:12
womble wrote:
Ohhhh this is so tempting...!

K.

Certainly is!
If I had the cash It'd be on its way to me!!
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Film:

tomw

Link Posted 28/08/2012 - 09:25
Bump. Price reduced to £80.
Tom

tomw

Link Posted 04/09/2012 - 09:11
Sold.
Tom

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 05/09/2012 - 00:45
Who got it?

I'd love to see some shots of this bolted to an ME-F and to find out if the AF still works!!
Digital:
Flash:
Film:

johnha

Link Posted 10/09/2012 - 22:34
DaveHolmes wrote:
Who got it?

I'd love to see some shots of this bolted to an ME-F and to find out if the AF still works!!

womble has previously posted a photo link. Seeing my MEF drive mine to a perfect split-image alignment is quite strange in such an old school body.
PPG Flickr

wolvesrule

Link Posted 03/08/2017 - 22:21
I have the ME-F that I got for $32.00 and the Lens for $58.00 that I just got today the Camera I had for about a week. They both work great just tried it out. Will never complain about my new lens being slow at autofocusing. But I just love them anyway.

JAK

Link Posted 03/08/2017 - 23:21
An interesting bit of Pentax history there. That it works well is a bonus.
John K
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.