Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

FS: Pentax Rear Converter-A 2x-S

LennyBloke
Posted 27/10/2018 - 13:31 Link
I have hardly used this excellent condition copy of the A series Rear Converter-A 2x-S - you probably know all about it if you're reading this but if you don't it's worth noting a few things - This manual converter retains all exposure modes supported by the attached lens but does not relay information about focal length, MTF, or lens name to the camera. It is is designed for lenses 300mm and shorter, but can be used with longer lenses but It is not compatible with the FA 28-90mm F3.5-5.6, the K and A 15mm F3.5, the M 24-35 F3.5 zoom and various other wide angle lenses due to the protruding rear elements of these lenses.

It comes with Pentax body and rear cover caps and the original hard case which itself is in very good condition. One of the highest quality converters of its day, beautifully made, and with the coatings in very good condition - this isn't quite collectors state but not far off.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Price: £69 inc P&P

UK Only, Bank Transfer, Cheque (cleared), PayPal (Gift), Postal Order or Cash on collection, Inspection Welcome.
LennyBloke
davidwozhere
Posted 27/10/2018 - 18:34 Link
This is really a top hole converter. Wouldn't part with mine.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
Kim C
Posted 28/10/2018 - 01:21 Link
Not sure why anyone would want to use it with wide lenses like the 15mm or the 24-35.
One of the best 2x convertors. If it were the 1.4x version I would snap it up but I already have this one.
RobL
Posted 28/10/2018 - 07:40 Link
I have a mint condition Vivitar 2x (this is not a sales plug) but have stopped using it because I have found without it and cropping to the equivalent area gets me better results. How does this Pentax one compare on a digital body?
LennyBloke
Posted 28/10/2018 - 19:11 Link
RobL wrote:
I have a mint condition Vivitar 2x (this is not a sales plug) but have stopped using it because I have found without it and cropping to the equivalent area gets me better results. How does this Pentax one compare on a digital body?

I've tried a lot of converters and generally speaking those from the manual focus era having 7 elements were the better ones, this was always one of the best but a few years back they were a lot more expensive. I don't have any photos to prove how good this one is (or not) but if I get a chance I'll do some test shots and post them.

If IQ is the main aim then a high end 1.4x will be a better choice, but you are doubling the focal length of your lens with a 2x so you should expect some degradation. I haven't found any converter that works well when used at maximum aperture of the lens - but stopping down 1 stop with a quality converter makes a notable difference.

I don't think that little ramble has actually answered any questions but never mind
LennyBloke
LennyBloke
Posted 02/02/2019 - 09:58 Link
Price drop to £55 inc P&P
LennyBloke
ISP123
Posted 03/02/2019 - 16:47 Link
I am a complete novice when it comes to teleconvertors, so bearing that in mind how do you think it would perform on my Tamron 70-200.

Ian
LennyBloke
Posted 03/02/2019 - 19:54 Link
ISP123 wrote:
I am a complete novice when it comes to teleconvertors, so bearing that in mind how do you think it would perform on my Tamron 70-200.

Ian

Hi Ian - To be totally honest I wouldn't recommend many converters with zoom lenses - I'd stick to primes with this one. The only TC and Zoom combination I use is the DA*60-250 and DA-1.4x - most others are disappointing in my opinion (I'm sure there are other excellent combinations thoigh).
LennyBloke
ISP123
Posted 03/02/2019 - 20:42 Link
Hi Lenny, thank you very much for your honesty in your reply, as I said all new to me and was a shot in the dark as I am finding it very difficult to source a longer lens at a price in my range. So thanks again for the advice.

Regards

Ian
LennyBloke
Posted 08/07/2019 - 12:45 Link
Bump - forgot I still had this
LennyBloke
LennyBloke
Posted 05/10/2019 - 09:49 Link
And another bump
LennyBloke
LennyBloke
Posted 19/10/2019 - 15:31 Link
Another bump - again, this is a superb condition item - both optically and cosmetically
LennyBloke
LennyBloke
Posted 29/05/2020 - 09:33 Link
How about £49 plus P&P for this little beauty :

UK Only, Bank Transfer, Cheque (cleared), PayPal (Gift), Postal Order or Cash on collection, Inspection Welcome
LennyBloke
LennyBloke
Posted 05/06/2020 - 15:38 Link
Okay - what about £49 including P&P

The last 2 I can see that sold on Ebay were £90 and £78 - this one is at least as good condition. If you're after an A series high quality 2x converter then you won't go far wrong with this one
LennyBloke
davidwozhere
Posted 06/06/2020 - 00:13 Link
How many of you are using series A lenses? This was made for them and it is a seriously good converter! Put a K to M42 adapter in it and you get the same quality result with Takumars et. al. (I will be claiming commission when he sells this!)
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.