Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

FS> Corded remote

CoDa
Posted 13/02/2010 - 18:14 Link
Pentax Remote Control Shutter release cable with lock
Approx 1Metre long remote shutter release cord for Pentax Film & Digital Cameras

Great condition.

Has a plug on the end with 3 sockets in it (not for K10d)

Asking £7.00 inc P&P

Can email picture if required

Thanks
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Comment Image
TonyM
Posted 13/02/2010 - 19:12 Link
Hi. Does this fit the ist DS? If so so, can I have it please!

Regards

Tony
CoDa
Posted 13/02/2010 - 22:13 Link
I do not think this works with your camera, sorry

Regards

Edit, It could be for the MZ series of cameras
Colin

“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)

Comment Image
Edited by CoDa: 13/02/2010 - 22:29
TonyM
Posted 14/02/2010 - 08:16 Link
OK, thanks very much for checking.

Tony
DoctorJeff
Posted 14/02/2010 - 17:16 Link
The cable with a switch on one end and a 3-pin socket on the other is for the MZ series.
Two/three (or more) years ago, someone put the instructions on the 'net for making one using components from Maplin. This involved cutting down a 4-pin socket to three pin. OK, if you were handy with a soldering iron, a craft knife and a file, and it looked like it would work. There was no voltage problems as the wiring involved "making" the right pins in the right sequence to get the auto-focus followed by the shutter release. Do it the wrong way round and the results could be interesting.

Anyone want to try this on the K...D series bodies?

Geoff
Water can wear away a stone - but it can't cook lunch
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses Digital: 50-200, 18-55 KAF: 28-80.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
and then there's all the M42 kit, and the accessories ...
Aero
Posted 14/02/2010 - 19:23 Link
If anyone's interested in making their own MZ series remote, I knocked one up for my MZ-M a few years ago on the basis that £1.50 of Maplins components and 20 minutes' work was a better bet than paying Pentax £30 link.

The connector is the same as the data connector for a computer CD drive. On AF MZ cameras, you need three of the connections to operate AF and the shutter release. With the manual MZ-M, you just need two, connected to a momentary make-and-break switch.

The small Maplins switches fitted perfectly into a section cut from a disposable pen, with a cable running out the other end of the pen barrel and soldered on to the CD connector. This wouldn't work if you also want the AF function because you'd need two switches. In that case, you'd have to fit the switches into a small plastic "project" box.

The top-most two connections on the MZ-M trip the shutter. The lower one and one of the other two (I don't know which) operate the AF. I'm beginning to wonder is life's too short for this sort of tinkering.

Al
Edited by Aero: 14/02/2010 - 19:34
DoctorJeff
Posted 14/02/2010 - 23:53 Link
Aero wrote

Quote:
The connector is the same as the data connector for a computer CD drive

Now you really have me intrigued. :
All my CD/DVD drives have a IDE connector (2x20 twin row). Do you mean the CD Drive to Sound Card connector? My first thought is that the MZ series pins are at about 2.3mm spacing, while the Sound Card connector pins are more like 2.7 centres. I don' have my Maplin catalogue handy - of course.
Geoff
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
Lenses KA & K: SMC-KA f2.0, SMC-K f1.4, SMC-K f1.7 Tokina KA 28-70 , SMC Pentax 70-210 F4, Sigma KA 75-300 , Hanimex 500mm Mirror, and the Tamron Adaptall-2 stuff.
Aero
Posted 15/02/2010 - 01:13 Link
You're absolutely right, DoctorJeff. The old memory's playing tricks. It is indeed a sound card connector. I think it was described as a "CD drive to sound card connector" or something similar. You'd have a heck of a time carving an IDE connector down to fit. Thanks for pointing this out.

Al
DoctorJeff
Posted 15/02/2010 - 10:01 Link
So I started out to find the original article that I mentioned. What I did find was that there was a lot of confusion between the CS-205 switch as used on (e.g.) the K200D, the Cable Switch F, as used on (e.g.) the MZ-50 and MZ-M, and the Remote F for the IR control. Did not find the article (memo to self: look through the files of "old camera stuff").
Did find:
http://martybugs.net/photography/remote.cgi
which is a home-brewed CS-205 (fits a lot more than Pentax). Do note that you will need a 2.5mm coax plug with three wires to it (think cheapie stereo earphones for a music player).

http://www.photosig.com/articles/1088/article
which is a bit short on DIY detail, but illustrates the use of the sound-card connector (see aero's post above) but just calls it a "computer connector".

And if you are really adventuresome - there is some software around that will turn your PDA with IR into an IR Remote F. That one does get a bit "techie", and you need the .NET framework on the PDA, but it might be fun to try.
X-5
istDS
K2000
P50.
womble
Posted 15/02/2010 - 21:17 Link
Anyone else nostalgic for the simple days of a plunger-style cable release?

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website
johnriley
Posted 15/02/2010 - 21:50 Link
I'm getting nostalgic for when this was a Classified Ad....please try to resist starting discussion threads in Classified as the attempt to sell something gets lost in the process.....
Best regards, John

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.