From the band stand

philstaff

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 15:56

johnriley

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 16:08
Well exposed, sharp and good colour.

If you want to think about ways to lift it to another level, then lets look at the subject. What is the subject? If the subject is part of a railing that's one thing, but if, as I suspect, it's of a house framed by a railing that's another.

Assuming the latter, when we look through the frame, which is an excellent compositional technique, we see the house obscured by a vertical metal pole that splits it in half. The frame itself also has a fancy bit at the top that pulls our eye away from the house. We need to decide to focus on one or the other, so focusing on the house means a crop to the top at least.

However, the problem of the pole remains. It looks as though there's no problem getting onto the bandstand, so how about using the railing at the other side to frame the house? Perhaps then we remove the pole and other distracting elements and use the framing to make an interesting image of the building.

Doing this may well reduce the impact of the railing itself, but we don't need two competing subjects in one image.

Hope these thoughts are helpful to you.
Best regards, John
Last Edited by johnriley on 28/06/2010 - 16:09

Thordell

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 17:15
Wish I could do so well, the colour is very natural and the shot is sharp throughout but it still does not grab my attention, this may be because it feels contrived and I prefer something with a more natural flare and something that really catches the attention. Love the wrought iron and may well have settled for that and forgot the house that is not that interesting.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:12
I've little to add to John's exhaustive and illuminating critique. It's the pole that irks. The most impressive aspects are the exposure: how well you maintain highlight and shadow detail and depth of field which is spot on.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

pink

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 18:27
I've had a good look at this image.

technically it's really very good and I was even thinking this is a HDR

you've taken care and time in setting up this shot, but it could do with straighten up

but as it's been said before the light post in the centre of the house spoils it. Is there a better view point......?

what was you trying to achieve, there is on explanation in your post

James
My Fluidr

"To see in colour is a delight for the eye, But to see in black and white is a delight for the soul" ANDRI HERY

philstaff

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 20:35
Thanks guys for the feed back the veiw just caught my eye as I passed the band stand. My aim was to show the detail in the metal work as well as maintaing the DOF throught the photo leading right to the house in the background. The sun was comming in from the left of the photo it was taken with the sigma 10/20 on the K100D AT F 25 at 1/60 with a 200 iso seting.
Ian

snappychappy

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 20:44
To me it needs the figure of a person either leaning on the central post, as a silhouette acting as the focal point.
My piccies.

George Lazarette

Link Posted 28/06/2010 - 22:43
I am not sure that I agree entirely with JR, though his critique was a model of its kind.

I suspect that the metalwork was what first caught the photographer's eye, and he then thought that he could gild the lily by using it to frame the house.

As it turned out, the house was too strong a subject in it's own right, and, as JR noted, it competes with the cast-iron frame.

So we end up with an imperfect picture of the house (for reasons noted), which dilutes the impact of the ironwork, which I really like.

My approach would be to go back and take a very similar picture with the lens wide-open, or nearly so. Lose the house in the background blur, and concentrate on what originally caught the eye. Because it's pretty good.

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.

i-Berg

Link Posted 02/07/2010 - 11:23
I agree that there may be two shots in this Phil. One of these will mean re-shooting without the pole, as discussed.

A slightly different crop (less of the bottom rail, more of the ornate top section) might also be worth considering?
http://www.pbase.com/iberg
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.