coker
Posted 11/07/2018 - 13:20 Link
Today.

Comment Image

K5, 18-55.
1/2 sec., f11, iso100.
Tripod.
Daylight.
(No creatures were harmed for this image).

Any thoughts welcome.
Thanks for looking,

Roger.
The more I look, the more there is to see!
derek897
Posted 11/07/2018 - 13:25 Link
I really like this.
The light, colour range, shapes, textures all work really well
This could well develop into a (thing)
Good shooting 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I know what i like, If not always why.
swarf
Posted 11/07/2018 - 14:56 Link
Excellent still life - really interesting mixture of textures and colours. I also like the fact that the colours appear slightly muted and the light level that you have chosen to give us.

Phil
K-5iiS; K-r; ME Super; ME; DA* 16-50 f2.8; DA 18-135 WR; DA 55-300 WR; HD DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited; FA 50mm f1.4; A50mm f1.7; DAL 18-55mm; M40mm f2.8; + assorted non-Pentax lenses

My Flikr Page link
LennyBloke
Posted 11/07/2018 - 15:14 Link
Superb image - both simple and clever at the same time, inviting you in to examine the detail of each item then drawing you back out to appreciate the simple composition and beautifully faded colour palette.

P.O.T.W. candidate
LennyBloke
johnriley
Posted 11/07/2018 - 17:18 Link
Nice one, very Victorian! This would make a great book illustration. The tones are really excellent.
Best regards, John
Edited by johnriley: 11/07/2018 - 18:46
pschlute
Posted 11/07/2018 - 17:53 Link
Yes i like this a lot too.
McGregNi
Posted 12/07/2018 - 00:25 Link
johnriley wrote:
.... very Victorian! .

It reminds me of something I'd see in the Horniman Museum, or the V & A, yes. Is "Found" a sort of photography genre? I've heard that term somewhere.

Its very odd to me, not having any sort of visual art background. I admit I don't quite get it, a strange collection artificially organised for display. Like many of the Victorian exhibits in those museums, they are an acquired taste ..... perhaps more accurately an expired taste for some!

Nicely photographed for sure .... I think there are probably different ways to view and respond to this sort of thing. I was struck by Gareth's compositional suggestion to you on the other thread, which seemed a sort of artistic response, judging the image more in pictorial, painterly terms, with 'rules' of composition as a guide. But your response suggested that you had a different set of rules in mind, more about the objects relationship to what it was near or attached to, and a more scientific, literal recording basis to the images.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 12/07/2018 - 00:26
Posted 12/07/2018 - 02:34 Link
That's quite a collection... fascinating actually... interested in your thoughts on putting this together... particularly re finding/selecting... one off, or part of a project?

Best
razashaikh
Posted 12/07/2018 - 05:39 Link
Stunning!
coker
Posted 12/07/2018 - 09:02 Link
Before a full response to all your interesting comments, could I ask Nigel to give me a nudge in the direction of the comments from Gareth, in "the other thread", to which he refers?

Many thanks,

Roger.
Nigelk
Posted 12/07/2018 - 09:27 Link
Both fascinating and beautiful.
It makes me want to create something similar from my wildlife area. It would be fascinating to create a series of found items from the same area at different times of the year.
Bravo!
McGregNi
Posted 12/07/2018 - 16:17 Link
Hi Roger, the comment from Gareth is in your Aesculus Hippocastanum II thread..... He suggested a crop to improve focus on the key subject. I doubt he, or many others, would have even considered your response, which seemed to be based on scientific and accuracy aspects, rather than a traditional artistic /compositional view.

Two very different ways to evaluate and respond to the image. Two different functions of photography, even. That's not to say your images have no artistic qualities, of course not.... But it's not really the primary motivater it seems.

I take photos of flowers, and I very rarely have any idea of what they are called .... I doubt that would be the case for you.
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Edited by McGregNi: 12/07/2018 - 16:26
coker
Posted 12/07/2018 - 19:52 Link
Thanks, Nigel, i'd forgotten that....!

I suppose my photography motto could be "Art & Science, not mutually exclusive"! This image, "Found", is just a continuation, an evolution of my Art & my interest in Science.
I've been thinking, prompted by the comments expressed in this thread, of the influences & my experiences that have, as it were, led me to make images such as this particular one. Let me emphasize, however, that nearly all in this list were/are subliminal. I'm not (usually!) sitting waiting to press the shutter until the necessary period of self-examination is over...
So, influences.
Some posters on the primary school classroom wall. Published by Shell, they depicted scenes from nature, of all the differing forms of life, particularly in this country.A lot of these scenes can still be Googled,. And found.
A little more recently, I have developed an interest in chiaroscuro & how it can be applied to photography, following examples in classical art. I've been making images thus guided for a while now.
This has led to making still life images in a more traditional manner, onto using flowers & leaves, some in various states of decay, And then an interest in seedpods, their forms, colours & textures.
And then, I happened across the work of Ellen Hoverkamp,,,
! would heartily encourage anyone/everyone to Google her name & experience the images she produces, using a flatbed scanner! They are very different & very beautiful, imho!

So, none of the above was a conscious line of logic or anything like that. I'm just trying to outline how I came to be here, posting an image like this.
So this snap is not an exercise in any one discipline, it's just made by me, today. Tomorrow will be different. Not better. Not worse. But it will still be mine. And me.
Take me as you find me!

I thank you all so much for taking the time to look & comment. I'm pleased when you like what I do. I don't really mind if you disagree with what I do. I, for one, know that I'll be different next time!

Bill, none of my stuff is a "one off", but a Project.....? Dunno!

Good idea Nigelk, go for it.

Nigel, please excuse any image I post from now on NOT taken with flash!!,
& any image that requires those frustrating 1/3 stop over-exposure adjustments. I am trying!

Roger.
aka coker
davidstorm
Posted 12/07/2018 - 20:34 Link
A really interesting image, expertly photographed, it caught my eye straightaway. One thing is that I find the dead butterfly strangely disconcerting amongst a collection of mainly plants, but to me its inclusion is utter brilliance as it in itself it looks almost more plant-like than the plants do!

We need to see more of this level of creativity.

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs
Edited by davidstorm: 12/07/2018 - 20:35
McGregNi
Posted 12/07/2018 - 23:09 Link
coker wrote:
...... Nigel, please excuse any image I post from now on NOT taken with flash!!, & any image that requires those frustrating 1/3 stop over-exposure adjustments. I am trying! Roger.

Well, you know, 1/3rd really makes all the difference! You can certainly be excused not using flash when you have such good control over the natural light. As I said on the Petals thread, you have created an impressive balance of exposure and control over contrast which is so often impossible to gain with natural light. No doubt still life situations are more favourable than when shooting portraits out and about.
Edited by McGregNi: 12/07/2018 - 23:09

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.