Fortnightly competition 91: Buildings

darkskies

Link Posted 11/04/2012 - 19:53
I'm not very good at photographing buildings. So, you are going to show me how to do it. The subject can be a single building or a group of buildings of any type, your choice. However, I would like the building(s) to be the main subject or at least a very major aspect of the scene. And I am talking about an external shot, not internal. Colour or b&w.

All entries to be taken between now and 18.00 BST Wed 25th April with Pentax or Samsung equivalents. Please supply EXIF data for your image.

Good luck!
This space deliberately left blank.

sandinista

Link Posted 15/04/2012 - 12:52
Chester Cathedral

Taken Thursday 12th April '12

ExposureTime - 1/60 seconds
FNumber - 14
ExposureProgram - Aperture priority
ISOSpeedRatings - 200
ExifVersion - 0221
DateTimeOriginal - 2012:04:12 13:31:14
DateTimeDigitized - 2012:04:12 13:31:14
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website
Last Edited by sandinista on 15/04/2012 - 12:57

johnriley

Link Posted 21/04/2012 - 11:10
This shot of Whitby is from the Abbey, looking across towards the town.

Pentax K-5
SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm WR
1/800s
f8
ISO 400
-0.3EV
135mm
Centre Weighted Metering
14 04 2012 14:47
Best regards, John

DanielH

Link Posted 22/04/2012 - 21:06
You dont lways have to point your camera directly at the building to convey what it "means" to you. Hope thats allowed in this theme! Looking upresize by dannyhinczech, on Flickr">[img]http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7266/7103420501_eab95e41cb_b.jpg" class="comment_image" />

Looking upresize by dannyhinczech, on Flickr" class="comment_image" />

EXIFCamera Pentax K-r
Exposure 0.017 sec (1/60)
Aperture f/8.0
Focal Length 32.5 mm
ISO Speed 200
Exposure Bias 0 EV

Exposure Program Aperture-priority AE
Date and Time (Original) 2012:04:17 12:07:32
Date and Time (Digitized) 2012:04:17 12:07:32
Metering Mode Multi-segment

Focal Length (35mm format) 49 mm
Last Edited by DanielH on 22/04/2012 - 21:09

JAK

Link Posted 24/04/2012 - 12:05
St. Mary's Church in Scarborough

This is a tonemapped HDR from five DNG exposures taken on Sunday April 22nd 2012 around 4.40pm.

St Mary's Chapel was originally built around AD 1000, rebuilt in the 12th century then again in the 14th century. The ruins to the left of the church are the remains of the part of the Church destroyed by Cromwell when, in 1645 during the Civil War, it caught up in a siege of the nearby castle.

Base exposure EXIF:
Camera Model: PENTAX K-5 with Pentax DA 12-24mm
Image Date: 2012-04-22 16:41:53 (no TZ)
Focal Length: 16.0mm (35mm equivalent: 24mm)
Aperture: f/8.0
Exposure Time: 0.0063 s (1/160)
ISO equiv: 80
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)
Exposure Mode: Auto Bracketing -2 -1 0 +1 +2
White Balance: Manual
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Color Space: sRGB
Software: K-5 Ver 1.13

John
John K

Frogherder

Link Posted 25/04/2012 - 12:41
Saint Paul's Church Tower, Burton upon Trent

One of the highest buildings in Burton, clearly visible from the A38 it passes Burton.

Exif
Pentax K5
Taken 16th January 2012
Modified in Photoshop on 16th April 2012
48mm focal length on 18-55mm.
f11 @ 1/500sec
ISO 400
Pattern Metering

Bernard

darkskies

Link Posted 25/04/2012 - 20:41
Thanks for those that entered. I had hoped for more entries but then it left me a rather simple and short job of judging.

sandinista Ė Chester Cathedral

A very interesting perspective of the cathedral, taken from just outside the fence. What makes this unusual is that there is a tree on the right obscuring/framing some of the cathedral, and similarly another construction on the left doing the same thing.

I can see that it was a very bright day with shadows, so a conversion to b&w works well.

johnriley Ė Whitby

Another bright day with shadows to play with. In this case I think the shadows work to give depth to the photo. I find it difficult to take photos of many buildings as I canít make a point of focus, and I think thatís what Iím finding with this one. Itís a fascinating view of the myriad different types of design in such a small area, but I find myself wandering with nowhere to land. But having said that, I could easily look again and again at this shot and find something new every time.

dannyh Ė Reflection (I hope you donít mind me giving it that shorter title!)

Of course this shot is ok for the comp. I didnít specify any sort of interpretation, and this was a nice take on the theme. Itís a clever shot, taking in aspects of the street like the blocked drain and the cracks in the pavement. Very clever.

JAK Ė St Maryís Church in Scarborough

This is good use of HDR, obviously on a day with bright light and shadows. It has also brought out the dramatic sky well. Iím neither for nor against the flare, Iím not sure it adds anything, but I donít think it detracts either. Thereís plenty to like in the foreground as well as the background. I do think the photo could just do with straightening slightly, as I detect a swing to the left!

Frogherder Ė St Paulís Church Tower

Nice clear shot with a lovely blue sky behind. I have to admit that Iím not a great fan of shots of buildings that are just off head on. I prefer perfectly square or at an angle near to 45 degrees. I suspect you couldnít do that because of the tree on the left.

So, here's the result:

3rd dannyh - Reflection

2nd sandinista - Chester Cathedral

1st JAK - St Mary's Church

Over to you John!
This space deliberately left blank.

sandinista

Link Posted 25/04/2012 - 22:02
Thanks for the comp Neil and second place, the framing was deliberate as I liked how the building structure line on the left kind of mirrored the tree on the right.

Well done JAK on first place and Danny on getting third.
Great simplicity is only won by an intense moment or by years of intelligent effort. T.S Eliot

PPG
Gear Not enough!!

Flickr
My not so new website

DanielH

Link Posted 25/04/2012 - 22:07
Thank you Neil I had lots to choose from as I went out for several shoots as Im really getting interested in the buildings round here at the moment. I entered this one beacause it was so different from the others.

Looking forward to the next challenge

JAK

Link Posted 25/04/2012 - 22:39
Gosh

Thanks for that and well done to everyone else who entered and to Neil (darkskies) for coming up with the theme and for his comments. It is never easy to judge such different photographs. It's a shame there weren't more entries but I guess the weather hasn't helped much in the last fortnight. On Sunday afternoon the sun came out for a while so went round trying a few shots. My intended one just didn't work out at all which was of the old Scarborough Jail. Another try was getting a perspective shot of back to back terraces - that was better. Then I thought - the Castle! I took that then on the way back passed the church which had interesting back-lighting. It didn't work as a single exposure - all soot and whitewash - so tried the multi 5 exposure for HDR and hey presto. Having such wonderful scenery to choose from helps too. I think that if I had been in a larger town or city I would have gone for some futuristic building shots.

Re my pic, I agree about the lens flare. I wasn't sure about it either; but some go to the trouble of adding it in in PP for effect. Given its position over the tower I thought of it as perhaps 'The Light of the Lord!' I did think about cloning it out at one time though. Regarding where it looks to be sloping to the left, that wall edges a narrow roadway which is part of a steep decent to the harbour below. Hopefully the church tower isn't leaning over! I sent the picture in for the Look North news bulletin yesterday but alas they chose others instead.

I believe I now have to dream up a new theme for next time. I'll have a look at the themes used previously so I don't repeat a recent one (I'm still new to going in for these) and post it shortly.

Thanks again to all,

John
John K

Frogherder

Link Posted 25/04/2012 - 23:26
Thanks for your comments, I did feel that it was a toss up between the 1st & 2nd as they are great shots.

It wasn't until I did the Exif that I realised that the photo wasn't taken in the time span as I'd been working on straightening the verticals.

You're right about the angle, there are very few that can be used with a short focal length, would've been a bit easier with a telephoto to choose a different viewpoint.

regards
Bernard
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.