For the better good
Posted 14/10/2009 - 11:46
Link
I wonder if the mega pixel race is over and we have an ISO race now instead ? I would like to see a photo taken at 102400 ISO.
Cheers,
/Ian.
Cheers,
/Ian.
K10D & Super A user.
Posted 14/10/2009 - 19:05
Link
It's very interesting that you mention an ISO race. I was at a workshop earlier in the year being run by a professional (wildlife) photographer, who mentioned that the Wimbledon final of the previous year had been a long match, continued into the evening (as it got dark), and as flash is not allowed, only those photographers who had high ISO capabilities were able to effectively capture the crucial photograph of the winning shot at the end of the match (and presumably produce a picture to cover the back page of their particular newspaper). As a result, there was a real demand for the D3 (considered the best in this respect at the time) and I guess this effect has continued.
Personally, for the shots I attempt, I tend to find that getting a better quality, high ISO picture is a real boon. I find the K-7 much better for my needs in this respect than my K10D ever was, but I guess the need for very high ISO numbers depends on what you want to take pictures of and how you do it (?)
Regards
Mat
Personally, for the shots I attempt, I tend to find that getting a better quality, high ISO picture is a real boon. I find the K-7 much better for my needs in this respect than my K10D ever was, but I guess the need for very high ISO numbers depends on what you want to take pictures of and how you do it (?)
Regards
Mat
Posted 14/10/2009 - 20:37
Link
These Developments are exciting as they usually filter down to more affordable Camera`s eventually! With Hasselblad developing a new Autofocus system it just shows how far there is still to go in Camera Evolution!
Regards - Pete
Regards - Pete
Posted 15/10/2009 - 08:43
Link
I think development into usable higher ISOs is a great idea and with time it will filter down into cameras for us non pro users.
On a lighter note. With the way things are going I wonder if night vision goggles will become part of the standard photographers kit ?
Cheers,
/Ian
On a lighter note. With the way things are going I wonder if night vision goggles will become part of the standard photographers kit ?
Cheers,
/Ian
K10D & Super A user.
Posted 15/10/2009 - 09:40
Link
Quote:
With the way things are going I wonder if night vision goggles will become part of the standard photographers kit ?
The Asahi Pentax Nocta was available in the Spotmatic era, comprising twin flash guns with IR filters (no visible flash) a Spotmatic, a nightvision viewfinder and a specially corrected 300mm lens.With the way things are going I wonder if night vision goggles will become part of the standard photographers kit ?
This was used for surveillance photography onto IR film.
Best regards, John
Posted 15/10/2009 - 18:47
Link
Personally I would find better quality at higher ISO a useful tool. But the quality would have to be there - no point in mimicking the pixel race which arguably held down overall image quality for several years.
A dynamic range race would be good too. And a tonal gradation step race. Same caveat applies, neither should affect overall IQ.
A dynamic range race would be good too. And a tonal gradation step race. Same caveat applies, neither should affect overall IQ.
--
K20D | DA*16-50 | DA*50-135
--
MacBook Pro | Dell U2410 Monitor | Wacom Tablet
--
K20D | DA*16-50 | DA*50-135
--
MacBook Pro | Dell U2410 Monitor | Wacom Tablet
--
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


6417 posts
17 years
link
It is NOT a Pentax, however, I raise the topic with the aim of highlighting the way that the technology is moving in different directions. At 4,200 pounds, it connot be justified by the non pro photographer but it will release a lot of D3's onto the market and the D3 price will drop to acceptable levels.
In a similar way, the K20 prices were impacted with the release of the K7. Whatever Pentax has lined up for us next, I am sure that due to models like this D3s, Pentax will tweak something, for the better good of its users.
So what are your thoughts?
Regards