Focusing Screen and focusing in general with the K-5
Posted 30/01/2011 - 17:41
Link
There is a video output from the camera that can directly feed a monitor. It shows whatever is shown on the camera monitor.
But first, have you set the dioptre adjustment accurately? Aim the camera at a blank wall (the lens should not be focused on a subject)and adjust the dioptre setting until the etched lines on the focusing screen are at their sharpest.
But first, have you set the dioptre adjustment accurately? Aim the camera at a blank wall (the lens should not be focused on a subject)and adjust the dioptre setting until the etched lines on the focusing screen are at their sharpest.
Best regards, John
Posted 30/01/2011 - 18:08
Link
Would not pressing the 'info' button when in live view to magnify the image do the job? A slower method, of course, but it costs nothing.
Regards, Philip
Posted 30/01/2011 - 18:16
Link
johnriley wrote:
There is a video output from the camera that can directly feed a monitor. It shows whatever is shown on the camera monitor.
But first, have you set the dioptre adjustment accurately? Aim the camera at a blank wall (the lens should not be focused on a subject)and adjust the dioptre setting until the etched lines on the focusing screen are at their sharpest.
Thanks for that John. I do need reading glasses but afar I am fine. I did not know that with the lines and will give is a go in the morning. Still the monitor bit for macro will probably my way (I got a 7" TFT in a custom waterproof PortaBrace cover There is a video output from the camera that can directly feed a monitor. It shows whatever is shown on the camera monitor.
But first, have you set the dioptre adjustment accurately? Aim the camera at a blank wall (the lens should not be focused on a subject)and adjust the dioptre setting until the etched lines on the focusing screen are at their sharpest.
(got that from eBay for £0.99 as it was not made clear that the case came with EVERYTHING and I thought I could customize it somehow but when it arrived all was included. Monitor, Rechargeable Batteries, Cover, Charger PortaBrace Carry Case etc and it is still going strong. And I wanted to complain about the high postage So, that will be used again.)
for the Video Camera. Guess I am in serious need to sort out my 'luggage' requirements very soon as I have more lenses to come as well and I like to keep things together unless I know exactly what I use at the time.
Thanks for that.
Don wrote:
in another thread I posted a link for a new sony monitor designed for d-slrs, it has a hot shotshoe mount as well as hdmi input so it will work with other cameras besides sony......
I am serious considering one....
link
Thank Don, but if you see my signature I got a 7" TFT for the Sony PD 150 with Tripod Clamp and Waterproof PortaBrace Case so I can use that one. I know it has HDMI and HDMI Mini as well as RGB connectors so I guess I will be able to use that one.in another thread I posted a link for a new sony monitor designed for d-slrs, it has a hot shotshoe mount as well as hdmi input so it will work with other cameras besides sony......
I am serious considering one....
link
Many thanks as I was a bit stuck. I still keep an eye open for a slit screen but its at least not that urgent. I tend to get on better with 'manual lenses with 'A' aperture setting then the new style screen, but being able to use a monitor in certain circumstances is a definite bonus.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Posted 30/01/2011 - 18:22
Link
smudge wrote:
Would not pressing the 'info' button when in live view to magnify the image do the job? A slower method, of course, but it costs nothing.
In a way it would but if you set up macro I like to just adjust the focus and do not touch the camera in any other way. But that's probably just me and a left over from the old studio stills. Would not pressing the 'info' button when in live view to magnify the image do the job? A slower method, of course, but it costs nothing.
A bigger monitor and I can check the DOF of the whole composition on the monitor. It seems a very easy way.
It just becomes a pain with all the equipment that needs to come with you but then again if I get the job for just 'the one shot' with the help of a monitor it was all worth it.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Posted 30/01/2011 - 18:26
Link
SmutjeUK wrote:
(got that from eBay for £0.99 as it was not made clear that the case came with EVERYTHING and I thought I could customize it somehow but when it arrived all was included. Monitor, Rechargeable Batteries, Cover, Charger PortaBrace Carry Case etc and it is still going strong. And I wanted to complain about the high postage So, that will be used again.)
for the Video Camera. Guess I am in serious need to sort out my 'luggage' requirements very soon as I have more lenses to come as well and I like to keep things together unless I know exactly what I use at the time.
Thanks for that.
Many thanks as I was a bit stuck. I still keep an eye open for a slit screen but its at least not that urgent. I tend to get on better with 'manual lenses with 'A' aperture setting then the new style screen, but being able to use a monitor in certain circumstances is a definite bonus.
what monitor you using? Sony stuff is usually expensive, I'm hoping to save some money...johnriley wrote:
There is a video output from the camera that can directly feed a monitor. It shows whatever is shown on the camera monitor.
But first, have you set the dioptre adjustment accurately? Aim the camera at a blank wall (the lens should not be focused on a subject)and adjust the dioptre setting until the etched lines on the focusing screen are at their sharpest.
Thanks for that John. I do need reading glasses but afar I am fine. I did not know that with the lines and will give is a go in the morning. Still the monitor bit for macro will probably my way (I got a 7" TFT in a custom waterproof PortaBrace cover There is a video output from the camera that can directly feed a monitor. It shows whatever is shown on the camera monitor.
But first, have you set the dioptre adjustment accurately? Aim the camera at a blank wall (the lens should not be focused on a subject)and adjust the dioptre setting until the etched lines on the focusing screen are at their sharpest.
(got that from eBay for £0.99 as it was not made clear that the case came with EVERYTHING and I thought I could customize it somehow but when it arrived all was included. Monitor, Rechargeable Batteries, Cover, Charger PortaBrace Carry Case etc and it is still going strong. And I wanted to complain about the high postage So, that will be used again.)
for the Video Camera. Guess I am in serious need to sort out my 'luggage' requirements very soon as I have more lenses to come as well and I like to keep things together unless I know exactly what I use at the time.
Thanks for that.
Don wrote:
in another thread I posted a link for a new sony monitor designed for d-slrs, it has a hot shotshoe mount as well as hdmi input so it will work with other cameras besides sony......
I am serious considering one....
link
Thank Don, but if you see my signature I got a 7" TFT for the Sony PD 150 with Tripod Clamp and Waterproof PortaBrace Case so I can use that one. I know it has HDMI and HDMI Mini as well as RGB connectors so I guess I will be able to use that one.in another thread I posted a link for a new sony monitor designed for d-slrs, it has a hot shotshoe mount as well as hdmi input so it will work with other cameras besides sony......
I am serious considering one....
link
Many thanks as I was a bit stuck. I still keep an eye open for a slit screen but its at least not that urgent. I tend to get on better with 'manual lenses with 'A' aperture setting then the new style screen, but being able to use a monitor in certain circumstances is a definite bonus.
ideally I hope for an ipad solution that allows for live viewing and swivelling it around to use as a light source.. but...
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Posted 30/01/2011 - 19:22
Link
Don wrote:
what monitor you using? Sony stuff is usually expensive, I'm hoping to save some money...
ideally I hope for an ipad solution that allows for live viewing and swivelling it around to use as a light source.. but...
Its a cheapish no name that came with the case but if you think that it is over 5 years old by now and has seen from snow and rain to saltwater spray and extreme heat everything it is surprising how sturdy it is.what monitor you using? Sony stuff is usually expensive, I'm hoping to save some money...
ideally I hope for an ipad solution that allows for live viewing and swivelling it around to use as a light source.. but...
It even survived a fall (but was in the PortaBrace case), plus it has a plastic screen saver on it and, as with all my gear, is well looked after without being too careless or careful with it but use it for what it is there. as a tool.
There are some good and cheap battery operated 127LED bright daylight white Lightpannels out there and a charge (various makers, I use the one for the Sony PD150 as I got them anyway)lasts half a day and longer.
Not much heat either, good for food still life.
Mobile I use for both a PagLight. That gives you about 21/2h continuous light (up to about 5-7m) with a 20W bulb and the standard battery pack.
If you got a Non Interruptable Power Supply that is good for Studio light on location. Only thing is that the decent power output ones are VERY heavy, but they work.
Kind regards
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


1041 posts
15 years
Dorset/UK
a couple of questions if I may. I tend to have some problems with manual focusing. I seem not to be able to get on with the focusing screen that is in the K-5.
Are there any of the 'old style' split screen focusing screens available for the K-5 (that do not cost the world. It seems that 'Kats Eye' is producing one but it cost too much for my limited budget.)
The other way would be using a monitor to focus, in particular when taking macro pictures. I am not talking 'tesering' (or what it is called) but rather using 'live view' on a larger monitor so I can see on a large screen when I got the point sharp where I want it. If it is possible how would I do this?
I will post a couple of pictures where it becomes visible of what I mean but I am too worn out today to do any PP from the pictures taken over the last two days.
Any help would, as usual, greatly be appreciated.
SmutjeUK
It's nice to be nice!
Pentax K-5 with D-GB4 Grip, to many lenses to mention by now (serious LBA by now), TC's, Lowepro Slingshot 300 AW, Manfrotto 028 & Redsnapper RS-283 with various Heads plus various Camera Clamps (I collect them). Pentax AF 360FGZ, Pentax AF 240FT, several Metz 45 CT-1 & 5 with stands and 'Blow Up' Soft Boxes, Flash Triggers, and various Macro gear.