Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Focus tuning.

derek897
Posted 15/06/2014 - 12:35 Link
After getting a k5iis and a da*60-250 i went off yesterday to try them out. now my panning techniques are not the best but even on static shots i was unimpressed with the sharpness or lack of it. so this morning decided to fine tune my lenses using this

http://photographylife.com/how-to-quickly-test-your-dslr-for-autofocus-issues

Result was Da* 60-250 needed +5. samsung dxenon 100mm Macro was fine. Da* 55mm f1.4 needed +10. and Pentax F 28mm f2.8 needed +7.

I feel surprised that out of 4 lenses the only one that was spot on was not a Pentax, ( even if it is just a re badged Dfa 100mm) Is this unusual ???
I know what i like, If not always why.
johnriley
Posted 15/06/2014 - 12:43 Link
Of course the one you found OK was a Pentax, being made by them in the same factories.

However, some people find a need to adjust lots of lenses. Some, like myself, have never found such a need. When I do, I'll run the appropriate tests and make adjustments. With a zoom it will be a compromise as it may differ at different focal lengths and distance settings.
Best regards, John
derek897
Posted 15/06/2014 - 17:45 Link
Here are 3 after focus tuning and one without. Recropped and exposure adjusted, no sharpening. The last one was pre tuning
The difference is staggering.

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image

Comment Image
derek897
Posted 15/06/2014 - 17:46 Link
Sorry all were shot handheld.
johnriley
Posted 15/06/2014 - 17:47 Link
I particularly like the third shot, a really good composition.

If your pictures are now sharp, and they seem to be, then the job is done.
Best regards, John
derek897
Posted 15/06/2014 - 17:52 Link
Thanks John.

Derek

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.