Flat result (1 images)
Posted 15/07/2010 - 09:47
Link
Jackie,
That looks to be most likely a timing issue - it's the light. By the looks of the shadow (what there is of it) under the closer duck, it was overcast and drab, somewhat grey? That's what you're seeing in the pic. One of the main ingredients for good quality pics is good quality light.
That looks to be most likely a timing issue - it's the light. By the looks of the shadow (what there is of it) under the closer duck, it was overcast and drab, somewhat grey? That's what you're seeing in the pic. One of the main ingredients for good quality pics is good quality light.
Posted 15/07/2010 - 09:54
Link
The levels are very good on the image - fairly much fills [0-255] with a slight peak at 255 due to the white border. So pulling in levels would lose info.
I tried giving it a bit more punch 2 ways. LCE and applying an 'S' curve in curves. The curves one seemed to work best. LCE was a bit more subtle. Curves was more dramatic.
What tool are you using (GIMP/PSE/Paint.net/CS{3-5})? Then I/we/someone can tell you how to repeat the action.
C
I tried giving it a bit more punch 2 ways. LCE and applying an 'S' curve in curves. The curves one seemed to work best. LCE was a bit more subtle. Curves was more dramatic.
What tool are you using (GIMP/PSE/Paint.net/CS{3-5})? Then I/we/someone can tell you how to repeat the action.
C
Posted 15/07/2010 - 09:57
Link
Flat, two dimensional image? One word :
Backlight
(ok that's the short version).
Long version - its not your fault, just not a good time to take a picture : overcast day, no shadows, no source to the light at all, no seperation of the subject from the background. Result, flat image. You'll get the same effect if you swamp a subject with Soft Light - its fashionable, particularly in Film and for Fashion, but dreadful.
Backlight
(ok that's the short version).
Long version - its not your fault, just not a good time to take a picture : overcast day, no shadows, no source to the light at all, no seperation of the subject from the background. Result, flat image. You'll get the same effect if you swamp a subject with Soft Light - its fashionable, particularly in Film and for Fashion, but dreadful.
Still shooting in the dark (literally and metaphorically)...
Posted 15/07/2010 - 10:22
Link
Thank your it is good to get at response, I use CS3 - did try about 30% soft light that improved the 'feel' of the image but changed the colour tones.
It is not that I wish to save this image but I would like to learn how to overcome the problem. As suggested it was overcast and although bright the overall light was grey.
It is not that I wish to save this image but I would like to learn how to overcome the problem. As suggested it was overcast and although bright the overall light was grey.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Posted 15/07/2010 - 11:32
Link
I wouldn't say there was anything wrong with that?
Two ducks with flat lighting, probably better than
contrasty side lighting. At least the Daylight looks
to be of a good colour temperature.
Two ducks with flat lighting, probably better than
contrasty side lighting. At least the Daylight looks
to be of a good colour temperature.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff
Algi
Posted 15/07/2010 - 19:32
Link
There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 15/07/2010 - 19:38
Link
George Lazarette wrote:
There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
thats helpfull.There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
Posted 15/07/2010 - 20:08
Link
pentaxanne wrote:
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
Agree pentaxanne, the composition is pants was just clicking around with a new compact camera (X90) and although I am pleased with the results in general I wondered if there was something I could have done to improve the rather flat result.
George Lazarette wrote:
There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
thats helpfull.There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Posted 15/07/2010 - 20:31
Link
pentaxanne wrote:
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
If you thought my comment wasn't helpful, allow me to be of service to you.George Lazarette wrote:
There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
thats helpfull.There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
The word "helpful" has one L before the P, and one L at the end.
And it's "would have", not "would of".
Hope you found that helpful.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 15/07/2010 - 20:54
Link
George Lazarette wrote:
The word "helpful" has one L before the P, and one L at the end.
And it's "would have", not "would of".
Hope you found that helpful.
G
Oh sticks and stones george,pentaxanne wrote:
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
If you thought my comment wasn't helpful, allow me to be of service to you.George Lazarette wrote:
There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
thats helpfull.There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
The word "helpful" has one L before the P, and one L at the end.
And it's "would have", not "would of".
Hope you found that helpful.
G
im sorry my keyboard is knackerd,(but what ever pleases the blinkered)what if i had Dyslexia, shame on you,
Its people like you that ruin sites like this.
bbfg.
Posted 15/07/2010 - 20:58
Link
Thordell wrote:
hi jackie, what about cloning the top duck out and colour popping the other duck, (something way out there)..
pentaxanne wrote:
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
Agree pentaxanne, the composition is pants was just clicking around with a new compact camera (X90) and although I am pleased with the results in general I wondered if there was something I could have done to improve the rather flat result.George Lazarette wrote:
There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
thats helpfull.There is nothing wrong with it if you like pictures that look flat.
G
Jackie i think if you would of got down lower it would have more impact.
Posted 15/07/2010 - 21:35
Link
Sorry Pentaxanne, think I have misled you (hope that is the correct number of S's)
I am not worried about rescuing the shot I am happy to bin it but I wondered how I could avoid taking flat shots in the future. Wondered if it was because I used the lens at the wide end or if I should have used a higher f number.
Realise that better light would have solved the problem but you can't always choose the time you take a shot and it would be nice to have a idea as to how I could improve the shot in such conditions.
I am not worried about rescuing the shot I am happy to bin it but I wondered how I could avoid taking flat shots in the future. Wondered if it was because I used the lens at the wide end or if I should have used a higher f number.
Realise that better light would have solved the problem but you can't always choose the time you take a shot and it would be nice to have a idea as to how I could improve the shot in such conditions.
Jackie H
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500
Posted 15/07/2010 - 23:13
Link
Pentaxanne - meet George.
A little recalcitrant at times, but very helpful when he puts his mind to it.
My guess is that his gout is playing up at the moment. I'm sure normal service will be resumed soon.
A little recalcitrant at times, but very helpful when he puts his mind to it.
My guess is that his gout is playing up at the moment. I'm sure normal service will be resumed soon.
Posted 15/07/2010 - 23:19
Link
open in photoshop.. click layer-duplicate layer.
set blend mode of top layer to multiply.
adjust opacity of top layer.
that will punch it up a notch.
set blend mode of top layer to multiply.
adjust opacity of top layer.
that will punch it up a notch.
Fired many shots. Didn't kill anything.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


667 posts
18 years
Near Spalding,
Lincs.
Original
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v173/Thordell/Wildlife/Duck-1.jpg[/IMG]
K7, K20D, istDS, Optio SV, ME
Most used glass
50mm f1.4, 60-250mm, 28-80mm,
Sigma 105mm 2.8 Macro & Bertha 50-500