Flash gun on a budget
Posted 18/05/2012 - 13:33
Link
Are you happy using it manually (adjusting the aperture/ISO on the camera to give the correct exposure)? If so there are lots of very cheap manual options e.g. Pentax AF280T, AF240Z etc, on ebay. The Pentax ones are safe to use on DSLRs although they were designed for film.
I did have a modern auto flash gun a couple of years ago (AF360GZ) which was pretty good, but I didn't find it that much easier to use than a manual flash. I found myself adjusting the settings manually anyway! If you are looking for an auto flash, make sure it is P-TTL compatible. The cheapest bounce-capable one appears to be the Metz AF24 AF1.
I did have a modern auto flash gun a couple of years ago (AF360GZ) which was pretty good, but I didn't find it that much easier to use than a manual flash. I found myself adjusting the settings manually anyway! If you are looking for an auto flash, make sure it is P-TTL compatible. The cheapest bounce-capable one appears to be the Metz AF24 AF1.
Posted 18/05/2012 - 18:01
Link
Pentaxophile wrote:
If you are looking for an auto flash, make sure it is P-TTL compatible.
One can happily live with an automatic flash that does not have pTTL functionality; why would it need to be pTTL compatible? I don't understand your statement.
If you are looking for an auto flash, make sure it is P-TTL compatible.
Pentax K10D + Vivitar 55/2.8 macro + Super Takumar 55/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 85/1.8 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 135/3.5 + SuperMultiCoated Takumar 200/4 + Super Takumar 300/4
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Pentax K100D + DA18-55ALII + DA55-300
Pentax K5 + FA31Ltd + M50/1.7 + DFA100WR + M120/2.8 (+ DA18-55WR at occasion)
Posted 18/05/2012 - 19:01
Link
I bought a Pentax AF-500ftz for £50, its the canine undercarriage. it works in slave mode and has a strobe function.
It is TTL but not pTTL (could someone please explain the difference)
It is TTL but not pTTL (could someone please explain the difference)
Flickr
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
Posted 18/05/2012 - 19:28
Link
TTL was the the through the lens metering system used by Pentax up until the *ist DS or thereabouts. They then changed to P-TTL which uses pre-flash to work out the exposure. Not a step forward in my opinion but it gives good results in some tricky mixed lighting situations. Some of the earlier DSLRs can use both systems but the later ones are P-TTL only.
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 18/05/2012 - 22:09
Link
Thanks Ken, I have a K-7 and if I leave the flash on auto it seems to work OK and the flash power alters according to focal length etc. but I mostly use it/them for macro work in slave mode.
I say "them" because I was so impressed I bought another.
I say "them" because I was so impressed I bought another.
Flickr
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans" (John Lennon)
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


56 posts
14 years
Macclesfield,
Cheshire