First shots with the 10-17
Posted 24/05/2007 - 18:21
Link
Quote:
I much prefer the more 'normal' rectilinear perspective of the DA12-24mm lens.
Thanks for sharing the shots Prieni - been toying with the idea of getting the 10-17 for a while as I have a 15mm Sigma KA fisheye that was great fun with film. It's nowhere near the same without the extreme wide angle on the K10D - here's one of my fave shots that I took on my fisheye - http://www.pbase.com/diffractionphotography/image/72257563 ChrisA wrote:
No offence intended at all - I'm genuinely trying to understand what people like about photographs like that.
I think the fish-eye perspective is one that you either like, or don't like. Personally, I don't like it. Nevertheless, some images taken with this lens are 'impressive'. Whether it's the apparant scale of the subject, the perceived enormity of the angle of view, I don't know.No offence intended at all - I'm genuinely trying to understand what people like about photographs like that.
I much prefer the more 'normal' rectilinear perspective of the DA12-24mm lens.
Chris - Peter def has a point, you either love or hate the effect, but unlike Marmite I actually like the massive distortion. Need to have the subject right and avoid taking pics of your own feet!!! It wouldn't be the first lens I'd pick for a days shooting...
Spirit_of_will
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Fan and user of quality Pentax Shiny Kit
WEBSITE www.willbartonphotography.com & www.inspiredlightimages.com
Will Barton Photography: Landscapes, Cityscapes
My Flickr
Follow Will Barton Photography on Facebook
Posted 25/05/2007 - 20:59
Link
It's amazing how the 10-17 sprouts passion and hate alike. I thought almost everybody would dislike it, but I'm surprised at how many actually like the fisheye!
I'm with the fisheye lovers; I believe some scenes cry out for a fisheye effect, and are really enhanced by it! Both shots on this thread are good examples of what can be done (although I agree with JR).
I'm trying to convince my lady that the fisheye is not "wierd", and that we can always have a rectilinear effect using software. While I'm at it, has anyone tried to defish it? How's image quality? What it the equivalent FOV after defishing at 10mm and 17mm? I'm obviously searching mainly for the fisheye effect, but having rectilinear ultrawide once in a while would be nice too...
I'm with the fisheye lovers; I believe some scenes cry out for a fisheye effect, and are really enhanced by it! Both shots on this thread are good examples of what can be done (although I agree with JR).
I'm trying to convince my lady that the fisheye is not "wierd", and that we can always have a rectilinear effect using software. While I'm at it, has anyone tried to defish it? How's image quality? What it the equivalent FOV after defishing at 10mm and 17mm? I'm obviously searching mainly for the fisheye effect, but having rectilinear ultrawide once in a while would be nice too...
Posted 26/05/2007 - 11:44
Link
Quote:
I hope to see pics taken with your new lens soon....
Prieni
New lens has arrived so I've just been down the canal to try it out I hope to see pics taken with your new lens soon....
Prieni
Only problem I've fond so far is that it can give a lot of CA.
Site is http://rfe.zftp.com/bradford_on_avon.htm
And before anybody notices the light is not brilliant as nothing really gets going till 9ish. All shots just me getting an idea of how the lens behaves.
But here's one of my favourates taken through a wooden gate - the wood was straight and the lens made it eye shaped.

Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Posted 26/05/2007 - 12:28
Link
Rodger,
nice first try. I also noticed the CA but found that in SilkyPix I can easily correct for it (one of the great advantages of digital!).
Have fun with the new toy,
Prieni
nice first try. I also noticed the CA but found that in SilkyPix I can easily correct for it (one of the great advantages of digital!).
Have fun with the new toy,
Prieni
How inappropriate to call this planet earth when it is quite clearly Ocean. - Arthur C. Clarke
Prieni's PPG page
Prieni's PPG page
Posted 26/05/2007 - 14:16
Link
I tries silkypix with this but I have red and blue CA so have found Photoshop CS better in this case.
Glad you liked the first try - now all I have to do is get some good early morning light
Glad you liked the first try - now all I have to do is get some good early morning light
Old wood best to burn, old wine to drink, old friends to trust, and old authors to read.
Posted 26/05/2007 - 19:27
Link
Great shot! I like the "eye" effect in the foreground fence (although there is a metal part on the left that kind of breaks the simmetry) and the way you caught those people far away (a mother and her children?) walking the path to the town. The damage on the fence and the fact it's a bit out of focus accentuates the "peeking through a hole" sensation.
Well done!
Well done!
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


5870 posts
24 years
Sussex,
UK
That's not quite the point... 10mm in fisheye equates to 180 degree angle of view. (It's an "equisolid angle projection" fisheye, FWIW)
10mm in rectilinear equates to about 110 degrees.
No rectilinear could ever get to 180 degree AoV
(That's all in the APS-C domain of 23.5x15.7mm)
See this link: http://photo.net/learn/fov/
Matt
(For gallery, tips and links)