First play with new toy - 150-450mm

mille19
Posted 01/09/2015 - 20:29 Link
I had to have a play with my new DFA 150-450mm and must say I'm very impressed, fast focussing and sharp wide open at 450mm, just what I needed

All taken with K3 with monopod and SR on.

1.
450mm F8 ISO-250 1/640th sec
Comment Image


100% crop
Comment Image


2.
450mm F6.3 ISO-125 1/500th sec
Comment Image


100% crop
Comment Image


3.
450mm F5.6 ISO-160 1/500th sec
Comment Image


100% crop
Comment Image


4.
380mm F5.6 ISO-160 1/500th sec
Comment Image


100% crop
Comment Image


5.
360mm F5.6 ISO-320 1/640th sec
Comment Image


100% crop
Comment Image


Weather permitting I'll be trying it out at a football match tomorrow night.
McGregNi
Posted 01/09/2015 - 20:45 Link
That is fairly extraordinary for 100% crops! No wonder you're pleased. Seems to be no doubt that new lens is well paired with the latest high resolution sensors. Beautiful colours in the pigeon ones .... Not sure if that's anything to do with the lens, but in any case its a killer combination by the look of it. Money well spent. ... ?
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Smeggypants
Posted 01/09/2015 - 20:55 Link
Very impressed with the crops and cool shots. DFA is a full frame lens isn't it?
[i]Bodies: 1x K-5IIs, 2x K-5, Sony TX-5, Nokia 808
Lenses: Pentax DA 10-17mm ED(IF) Fish Eye, Pentax DA 14mm f/2.8, Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8, Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm F1.4 EX DC, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.2, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-FA 50mm f/1.4, Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7, Pentax DA* 50-135mm f/2.8, Sigma 135-400mm APO DG, and more ..
Flash: AF-540FGZ, Vivitar 283
mille19
Posted 01/09/2015 - 21:00 Link
Smeggypants wrote:
Very impressed with the crops and cool shots. DFA is a full frame lens isn't it?
Yes it's full frame, released in time for when there FF camera is released later this year
Stuey
Posted 01/09/2015 - 22:38 Link
It's looking good - do you have another long lens to compare it to?

I suspect that it will hold up well against others
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
mille19
Posted 01/09/2015 - 22:52 Link
Stuey wrote:
It's looking good - do you have another long lens to compare it to?

I suspect that it will hold up well against others
I've got the DA*300mm DA*60-250mm and have had the Sigma EX100-300mm F4, I'd say, in the short time I've been using it, it is optically on par with all the long lenses I've used and focussing is much faster.
I'm testing it at a footie match tomorrow night to see how it performs. It's seems to be on par with my DA18-135mm at focussing speed and I think the focus limiter will help with sport, I really think this lens is a 'game changer' for Sports/wildlife Pentaxians.
Stuey
Posted 01/09/2015 - 22:54 Link
mille19 wrote:
Stuey wrote:
It's looking good - do you have another long lens to compare it to?

I suspect that it will hold up well against others
I've got the DA*300mm DA*60-250mm and have had the Sigma EX100-300mm F4, I'd say, in the short time I've been using it, it is optically on par with all the long lenses I've used and focussing is much faster.
I'm testing it at a footie match tomorrow night to see how it performs. It's seems to be on par with my DA18-135mm at focussing speed and I think the focus limiter will help with sport, I really think this lens is a 'game changer' for Sports/wildlife Pentaxians.
Woo hoo
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link
truckerathome
Posted 02/09/2015 - 12:55 Link
The only problem I find with it in sports use with my K3II (and my old K3) is if you use the back button focusing option AF1, which I do, and the camera is set to "auto power off" (mine is set to 1 minute) then you cannot resume power by pressing the back button to focus. You have to press the shutter button first to re-awaken the camera before then using the back button focus . Not sure if this is a glitch or is just happening on my combo but it obviously slows up the resume feature and you can miss pictures. Are other users of this lens/camera combo finding the same .... still a great lens though.

Martin
Algernon
Posted 02/09/2015 - 13:42 Link
Have you set the menu item to turn off focus on the half press. (shutter button) I only have a K-5 so I'm assuming that the K-3 has a similar menu item.

--
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
truckerathome
Posted 02/09/2015 - 18:19 Link
Algernon wrote:
Have you set the menu item to turn off focus on the half press. (shutter button) I only have a K-5 so I'm assuming that the K-3 has a similar menu item.

--
There is an AF1 and an AF2 option on the K3. Both allow the use of the back AF button, but AF1 allows the use of both the shutter button and AF button, AF 2 allows only the back AF button. I had it on AF1, as occasionally I had to press the AF button a couple of times before it focused and found it was as quick to start it focusing with the shutter button then carry on with the AF button after if that happened. I will try the AF2 setting to disable the shutter button for focusing and see if that makes a difference to the re-awakening of the camera after the auto-power off happens.
StephenHampshire
Posted 02/09/2015 - 18:52 Link
truckerathome wrote:
Algernon wrote:
Have you set the menu item to turn off focus on the half press. (shutter button) I only have a K-5 so I'm assuming that the K-3 has a similar menu item.

--
There is an AF1 and an AF2 option on the K3. Both allow the use of the back AF button, but AF1 allows the use of both the shutter button and AF button, AF 2 allows only the back AF button. I had it on AF1, as occasionally I had to press the AF button a couple of times before it focused and found it was as quick to start it focusing with the shutter button then carry on with the AF button after if that happened. I will try the AF2 setting to disable the shutter button for focusing and see if that makes a difference to the re-awakening of the camera after the auto-power off happens.
I'm pretty sure that the AF button does not "wake up" the camera on either K5 or K3 regardless of the setting of AF-1 or AF-2. Personally, I find that as I pick up my K3, my index finger naturally falls onto the shutter button, and the slightest touch wakes up the camera, not even a half press. The camera responds instantly, certainly quicker than a press on the AF button. I also find that the K3 and K5 batteries last for such a long time, that I can leave the auto power off on 5 minutes without unduly running down the battery.
McBrian
Posted 02/09/2015 - 19:53 Link
Regardless of AF setting my K5iis and K3 both need a press of shutter button to wake them up and IIRC so to did my ist*D, K10, K7, K5 and K5ii.

Nice pics Steve, they show yet again that in good hands the DA150-450 is a cracking lens so much so that my DA*300 and Sigma 100-300 f4 will be winging their way to SRS on Friday (hopefully) and I'll have a new lens to play with
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
mille19
Posted 03/09/2015 - 08:18 Link
McBrian wrote:
Nice pics Steve, they show yet again that in good hands the DA150-450 is a cracking lens so much so that my DA*300 and Sigma 100-300 f4 will be winging their way to SRS on Friday (hopefully) and I'll have a new lens to play with
You won't regret it, it's a brilliant lens, for sport I find the AF buttons on the lens body really useful and think the AF preset button will come in handy to use at my bird feeding station.
I've only had the lens for a couple of days but am really happy with it.

I'll have to start saving for thr FF body now
Mag07
Posted 03/09/2015 - 18:41 Link
Amazing. The pigeon ones don't even look like photos, they are so 'alive'. Lense is one thing but it's the photographer that matters most. Just super.
'Photography...it remembers little things, long after you have forgotten....' (Aaron Siskind)

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo