First from my K10

Father Ted
Posted 30/03/2012 - 08:46 Link
I'm loving this new camera. It might be slightly crippled, but that doesn't detract from it at all.
Here's my first couple of snaps while I'm playing around with it.
This was taken in the house, natural ( but dim) lighting, hand held.
I did have the ISO at 1600 by accident, ( I'm still getting used to the various buttons and dials).
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/Father_Ted/PHOTOS/K10test1.jpg[/IMG]

And this was at a graveyard beside a building site we are currently working on.
I thought this was a nice representation of life and death.
[IMG]http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i296/Father_Ted/PHOTOS/K10test2.jpg[/IMG]

C&C??
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
steven9761
Posted 30/03/2012 - 09:43 Link
Could be my monitor, but #1 looks as though the whites are a tad grey. #2 looks great, composition-wise, but maybe a bit on the "over-exposed" side of things?? Perhaps it would be a better picture if shot in HDR mode??
Edited by steven9761: 30/03/2012 - 09:45
ChrisR
Posted 30/03/2012 - 10:06 Link
Ted

Have to say it looks as if that K10 is working well.
It also looks like it has got into the hands of a good driver.

Take care.
Chris R.

I. El. (Eng). (Rtd).
bettyswolloks
Posted 30/03/2012 - 10:33 Link
To quickly adjust the iso press and hold the OK button and move the front dial.
One day you'll find, 10yrs have got behind you.
Father Ted
Posted 30/03/2012 - 10:48 Link
steven9761 wrote:
Could be my monitor, but #1 looks as though the whites are a tad grey. #2 looks great, composition-wise, but maybe a bit on the "over-exposed" side of things?? Perhaps it would be a better picture if shot in HDR mode??
It has an HDR mode???
Time to read the manual, methinks!
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
George Lazarette
Posted 30/03/2012 - 22:26 Link
steven9761 wrote:
Could be my monitor, but #1 looks as though the whites are a tad grey. #2 looks great, composition-wise, but maybe a bit on the "over-exposed" side of things?? Perhaps it would be a better picture if shot in HDR mode??
If white looks grey, then it's under-exposed!

I do agree that the second is over-exposed (easily adjusted if you shoot RAW) and the first is perhaps slightly under-exposed (though that might have been intentional).

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Edited by George Lazarette: 30/03/2012 - 22:27
Snootchies
Posted 30/03/2012 - 23:08 Link
Father Ted wrote:
steven9761 wrote:
Could be my monitor, but #1 looks as though the whites are a tad grey. #2 looks great, composition-wise, but maybe a bit on the "over-exposed" side of things?? Perhaps it would be a better picture if shot in HDR mode??
It has an HDR mode???
Time to read the manual, methinks!
I thought the K-7 was the first to have a HDR mode?

Ted - when you say your K10D is slightly crippled, what do you mean?
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link
George Lazarette
Posted 31/03/2012 - 00:18 Link
BTW, Ted, forget HDR - PLEASE!

G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
bwlchmawr
Posted 31/03/2012 - 08:40 Link
The new camera clearly works well, Ted.

Now just a few minor exposure adjustments. Levels should bring out the whites nicely in the first one and the second one's highlights are clipped. (Check the histogram: I find it's easier to bring a little more detail into shadow areas than it is to recover highlights.)

The K10 doesn't have an HDR mode. Which is nice.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Father Ted
Posted 04/04/2012 - 13:06 Link
Snootchies wrote:


Ted - when you say your K10D is slightly crippled, what do you mean?
It had been dropped, so I got it (very) cheaply.
The lever inside which operates the iris, well, it doesn't. The motor goes, but the final drive to the lever is snapped (I think).
So, I use the camera in Av mode. Open the iris right up. Focus, then stop down before pressing the shutter.
It means I can only use lenses with an A ring, and I can't grab a shot unless I have the aperture wide open (or almost, depending on lighting.
I've also had to turn off the auto focus on the shutter button and use the one on the back of the camera.
But these aren't big problems and I can work around them. For the price, it was a no brainer!
Getting there! Thanks to you guys

Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Algernon
Posted 04/04/2012 - 18:19 Link
Most lenses will focus OK down to at least f/5.6 so can't you just leave them at f/5.6?

M42 lenses inc. pre-sets should work you can just set them to f/5.6, they should already be stopped down to that as you focus.

There might be a bit of tweaking needed with M42 lenses if they have black paint where the contacts should be.... a bit of silver paper would do. It's documented on the US forum.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Snootchies
Posted 05/04/2012 - 21:53 Link
Father Ted wrote:
Snootchies wrote:


Ted - when you say your K10D is slightly crippled, what do you mean?
It had been dropped, so I got it (very) cheaply.
The lever inside which operates the iris, well, it doesn't. The motor goes, but the final drive to the lever is snapped (I think).
So, I use the camera in Av mode. Open the iris right up. Focus, then stop down before pressing the shutter.
It means I can only use lenses with an A ring, and I can't grab a shot unless I have the aperture wide open (or almost, depending on lighting.
I've also had to turn off the auto focus on the shutter button and use the one on the back of the camera.
But these aren't big problems and I can work around them. For the price, it was a no brainer!
I'm with you! Still, all being said you seem to be doing well with it. Keep it up.
Bob

My website (Hadfield Photography)

Pentax Gallery Artist page:link

Flickr Photostream: link

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo