First fish eye shots

giofi

Link Posted 21/10/2012 - 19:43
I recently bought a Sigma 10mm fish eye, it was an offer I could not refuse, and I have been thinking for a while that I would like to try one (as some on this Forum know I had been considering a Pentax 10-17 before I found this one).

I had a short trip to Stockholm this week and I decided to try and see how I would cope with the fish eye. It has been interesting, first discovering that the Sigma 10mm and Pentax NR do not like each other (you cannot use it) and then discovering that it requires some learning.... bottom line, most of the shots I took went straight to the bin..

But there are a few I like and I would like to have your comments and recommendations, feel free to manipulate them if you feel so:

2 (The same in B&W)

4 (again, the same in B&W)

All in all, I think a fish eye can become addictive...
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

giofi

Link Posted 22/10/2012 - 19:23
No fisheye experts out there?

C'mon, be brutal!
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Last Edited by giofi on 22/10/2012 - 19:24

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/10/2012 - 19:54
Very few pictures can show off a fisheye lens properly and it takes a lot of practice to spot a subject worth shooting with one. I have a 10-17mm and never use it because I don't seem to be able to get even a reasonable picture from it (my lack of imagination more than the actual lens)

I think you need to try different subjects, they a nice pictures but when I see the word fisheye I expect something a bit different.
. My Flickr

giofi

Link Posted 22/10/2012 - 20:12
Mike-P wrote:
I think you need to try different subjects, they a nice pictures but when I see the word fisheye I expect something a bit different.

Thanks Mike, I see what you mean, and you are right, I probably used this lens more like an ultra-wide lens.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Last Edited by giofi on 22/10/2012 - 20:12

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/10/2012 - 20:13
giofi wrote:

Thanks Mike, I see what you mean, and you are right, I probably used this lens more like an ultra-wide lens.

I think that summed it up nicely
. My Flickr

greynolds999

Link Posted 22/10/2012 - 20:50
Yes, you need to learn to see fisheye before you can use one. And you need to get up close and personal!

Have a look at this thread. There are some excellent shots which might help.
My Photobucket

giofi

Link Posted 22/10/2012 - 21:24
greynolds999 wrote:
Have a look at this thread. There are some excellent shots which might help.

Thanks! Some very nice pictures in that thread, some work to do for me.
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery

RayB

Link Posted 23/10/2012 - 07:49
I really like the cannon!

I've had the 10-17mm for a few years but have used it rarely. I did take it out for a day recently and forced myself to use it - it was the only lens I had with me so it "had" to work. As greynolds999 said, "you need to learn to see fisheye"; it really does make a difference.

Try getting amongst some tall buildings, plant the camera at low level on it's back and take a shot or two - I did that and got a shot displayed at Photokina in September.

I like to look at Fisheye work, but I don't like looking at it all day long - it should be a rare treat.

giofi

Link Posted 24/10/2012 - 06:28
Thanks Ray!

I will give it another try soon....
Giorgio

Pentax Photo Gallery
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.