first attempt at selective color
Posted 12/11/2008 - 07:22
Link
Well I'd say that the red is too vibrant for this to work and perhaps because of that the edges are rather too prominent. More detail and levels in the red would probably help as well.
Mike
Mike
Posted 12/11/2008 - 08:24
Link
Has the effect of a cut and paste, mainly because of the prominent edges.
Hyram
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Bodies: K20D (2), K10D, Super A, ME Super, Auto 110 SLR, X70, Optio P70
Pentax Glass: DA* 300, DA* 60-250, DA* 50-135, DA* 16-50, DA 70 Ltd, FA 31 Ltd, DA 35 Ltd, DA 18-55 (2), DA 12-24, DA 10-17, M 200, A 35-70, M 40, M 28, Converter-A 2X-S, 1.4X-S, AF 1.7, Pentax-110 50, Pentax-110 24
Other Glass: Sigma 105 macro, Sigma-A APO 75-300
Flash: Metz 58 AF-1 P, Pentax AF160FC ringflash, Pentax AF280T
Posted 12/11/2008 - 13:33
Link
Im no expert but it just looks like a big red blob to me.
I think you need something with a bit more detail in the background when doing selective colouring to give the person looking at the photo something to compare the colored bit with.
Fun doing them though isn't it
I think you need something with a bit more detail in the background when doing selective colouring to give the person looking at the photo something to compare the colored bit with.
Fun doing them though isn't it
Posted 12/11/2008 - 15:24
Link
Thanks for the input, I took down the saturation of the red and blurred the edges a bit, and it looks better. But yeah, maybe this photo isn't a good candidate for selective color (chose it b/c it looked easy). The lack of detail in the flower and background isn't doing it any favors.
What does everyone think the key is in doing selective color well?
What does everyone think the key is in doing selective color well?
Posted 12/11/2008 - 15:42
Link
Quote:
What does everyone think the key is in doing selective color well?
Firstly, using the technique sparingly and with the right sort of subject. That is, asking the question does the use of selective colour actually improve the image.What does everyone think the key is in doing selective color well?
Secondly, subtlety.
Best regards, John
Posted 12/11/2008 - 16:29
Link
I think selective colour works best when the colour in question is muted, so the viewer has to look twice to see that selective colouring has gone on at all. For example; flesh tones in a portrait.
Just my $0.02
Just my $0.02
Joining the Q
Posted 12/11/2008 - 17:14
Link
hefty1 wrote:
I think selective colour works best when the colour in question is muted, so the viewer has to look twice to see that selective colouring has gone on at all. For example; flesh tones in a portrait.
Just my $0.02
Wot he said
I think selective colour works best when the colour in question is muted, so the viewer has to look twice to see that selective colouring has gone on at all. For example; flesh tones in a portrait.
Just my $0.02
Posted 12/11/2008 - 18:46
Link
I quite like it even the cut and paste in your face aspect
Nice!
Heres my attempt, did this a few years ago but I think its rather fitting that it should re-emerge around this time of year.
[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/remembrance.jpg[/IMG]
Nice!
Heres my attempt, did this a few years ago but I think its rather fitting that it should re-emerge around this time of year.
[IMG]http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j168/impotentspider/remembrance.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 13/11/2008 - 19:40
Link
As Mikew says, I think the red is just too red, too much contrast with the B/W.
I feel awful saying this on someone else's thread, but I love the shot by the spider
I feel awful saying this on someone else's thread, but I love the shot by the spider
Getting there! Thanks to you guys
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Pentax K3ii, Pentax K10d, Kit lens ( 18-55mm ), 50mm f1.7 lens, Tamron 70-300mm lens, Prinzflex 70-162 manual lens, Various old flashes.
Posted 13/11/2008 - 23:14
Link
Quote:
I feel awful saying this on someone else's thread, but I love the shot by the spider
I'm sure the OP wont mind, I did say I liked his poppy I feel awful saying this on someone else's thread, but I love the shot by the spider
As for mine I have to confess the shot was pure accident, we were on holiday in Crete and visited the allied war cemetary, I spotted the cross and was about to take a snap, my wife had found another cross around the other side of the memorial and was bringing it round with the intention of arranging it next to the first, she introduced the shadow just as I pressed the shutter, I scolded her for ruining my shot and proceeded to take several more with just the original cross and a few with the two together, to this day I dare'nt tell her that this one was the best of the lot
Posted 14/11/2008 - 01:57
Link
GivingTree, think the poppy is just a little too dominant in your pic, still nicely done.
Love this process.
impotentspider, that's a great shot, just the right amount of 'popping' on the poppy.
Perfect 'placement' of the shadow as well
ali
Love this process.
impotentspider, that's a great shot, just the right amount of 'popping' on the poppy.
Perfect 'placement' of the shadow as well
ali
Cheers
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Ali
ist* DS & Ricoh GR
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


415 posts
18 years
Memphis,
TN USA
Have to admit, that was fun. I'm in the process of going thru photos to find other ones to do.
Flickr page:
link