Final Class
Posted 22/03/2010 - 23:32
Link
I love No2!....
K20D...ist DS ,DA18/55,DA16/45.DA* 50/135,"A"1.7 50MM..."A" 70/210..M 50mm f2...Tamron 90mm macro,28/300 Tamron,200/500 Tamron 6.9....A Pentax DA*300... Sigma10/20,FA31mm 1.8 Ltd*********,FA 77mm Ltd!
Posted 23/03/2010 - 14:52
Link
Love the second one: the colours are brilliant and I like the translucent quality of the building. The scaffolding adds to it in a strange way.
Trail lights are hard, particularly when the ambient lighting is quite strong: you need loooong exposures to get a long trail.
regards,
Andrew
Trail lights are hard, particularly when the ambient lighting is quite strong: you need loooong exposures to get a long trail.
regards,
Andrew
Best wishes,
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Andrew
"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference. All of them can record what you are seeing. But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050
http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
Posted 23/03/2010 - 15:08
Link
Long exposure - I was at 30 secs and longer
It was fun . I have about 40 to go through .
What was also very interesting was that in the painting with light shots , despite the fact that our tutor was moving around , and often within the camera shot - we never got him
It was fun . I have about 40 to go through .
What was also very interesting was that in the painting with light shots , despite the fact that our tutor was moving around , and often within the camera shot - we never got him
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 23/03/2010 - 15:39
Link
I too like number two.
The great thing about doing a course is that it forces you to take photos. And forces you out of your comfort zone. Never mind whether you actually learn anything from it, the simple fact that you are out there taking photos you wouldn't normally even attempt makes it all worth while.
The great thing about doing a course is that it forces you to take photos. And forces you out of your comfort zone. Never mind whether you actually learn anything from it, the simple fact that you are out there taking photos you wouldn't normally even attempt makes it all worth while.
Posted 23/03/2010 - 15:54
Link
Being honest - I think it's a 50/50 split .
I've learned a HUGE amount from you all , I've gained in confidence and I was surprised last night when I found I WANTED to go manual
OH and I was using the tripod the whole time too
It was really fun in the carpark. Painting with light is fun
The folk who didn't come last night really missed a lot - but it also gave Jim time to help each one of us individually - and that made a big difference .
We were all very relaxed and have promised to e-mail Jim some of our stuff from the final night.
OK - I've finished this course officially - BUT I may go back to the Improvers Course again in September this year - when with the better light we would be doing more practical work outside the classroom . By then I'll have had some months taking more pics and shooting manually at times [ not all the time , but I'll do enough to get me relaxed about it ]
I look at last night's pics and compare them with the earlier ones from New York that are on my Website - and to my eyes the difference is really striking. I'm still not a photographer - but I think I'm heading that way
OH and get ready for more fun later this year - I've still to go RAW - but I'll wait for that
I've learned a HUGE amount from you all , I've gained in confidence and I was surprised last night when I found I WANTED to go manual
OH and I was using the tripod the whole time too
It was really fun in the carpark. Painting with light is fun
The folk who didn't come last night really missed a lot - but it also gave Jim time to help each one of us individually - and that made a big difference .
We were all very relaxed and have promised to e-mail Jim some of our stuff from the final night.
OK - I've finished this course officially - BUT I may go back to the Improvers Course again in September this year - when with the better light we would be doing more practical work outside the classroom . By then I'll have had some months taking more pics and shooting manually at times [ not all the time , but I'll do enough to get me relaxed about it ]
I look at last night's pics and compare them with the earlier ones from New York that are on my Website - and to my eyes the difference is really striking. I'm still not a photographer - but I think I'm heading that way
OH and get ready for more fun later this year - I've still to go RAW - but I'll wait for that
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 23/03/2010 - 15:54
Link
Quote:
The great thing about doing a course is that it forces you to take photos
How very trueThe great thing about doing a course is that it forces you to take photos
I found my own photography stagnating a little and decided to do a night class many years ago, I must admit I learned very little technically having been a keen photographer already, but what helped me improve was having to work to a given subject and I think the biggest help was being made to study other photographers work even to the point of doing a essay on one.
I enjoyed the course so much I did a further two with the same tutor, I did consider going on to do a Degree as I was told I was qualified enough to skip the first year, but I honestly didn't think it would improve my photography anymore, I joined a Camera Club a couple of years later and my photographic "eye" has come on leaps and bounds, this forum has helped enormously too.
Posted 24/03/2010 - 14:14
Link
I love no. 2 there is something about the light, scaffolding and car that makes it work.
I think I may have to go on a course (when I have time etc.)
You are coming on leaps and bounds.
Regards
I think I may have to go on a course (when I have time etc.)
You are coming on leaps and bounds.
Regards
Colin
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
“Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could do only a little.”
Edmund Burke (1729 – 1797)
[IMG]http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/weldingblues/K-7userbar-red.jpg[/IMG]
Posted 24/03/2010 - 14:43
Link
Looking back on the whole term I do have mixed feelings about it .
I went in from a P&S - because I was told that the beginners course was really how to switch on the camera , how to point it and press the button and how to download your pics . I was not told that they were also supposed to spend time on things like Aperture , ISO etc etc . As a result I frequently found I didn't understand what was being said - and we had no hand outs on the course. A lot of time was spent on PP - but this only works again if you have some understanding of it - and I still don't
Homework was challenging - but with your help [ and the Photomonk's ] I did manage to do that each week and satisfy his criteria , and doing it taught me a lot too.
My main criticism of the course - I think the lack of practical work in the College - but that's not Jim's fault - it was dark most nights by the time we got there - so we couldn't get out . Maybe as well as there are too many participants for practical work. The last night with only 4 out of the 15 that started was good as Jim could work with us individually - and both George [ a 'graduate' from the earlier class ] and I commented how much this gave us confidence in our first attempts at Manual .
I've gained in confidence - hugely. At the beginning [ 19 Jan ] I was using the K-x on auto ALL the time - I was very scared going to AV and when the homework was done I went back to Auto . Now I can honestly say I don't know when I last used Auto I ~think~ on my wander in Glasgow recently, for a couple of shots and then it was back on Av.
There were occasions I was ready to throw my beloved K-x out of the window because of frustration , there was the night I so very nearly walked out of the class , but I've got there and I've learned a lot and I realise how little I do know .
My next aim is to be comfortable in Manual , and really learn how to use my Metz flash [ and I do NOT learn well from books] and come the summer I hope to return from Europe with lots and lots of wonderful pictures OH and of course I have to get to grips with Elements - I'm happy tweaking in iPhoto - BUT if I start using RAW then I need to use Elements rather than iPhoto.
I went in from a P&S - because I was told that the beginners course was really how to switch on the camera , how to point it and press the button and how to download your pics . I was not told that they were also supposed to spend time on things like Aperture , ISO etc etc . As a result I frequently found I didn't understand what was being said - and we had no hand outs on the course. A lot of time was spent on PP - but this only works again if you have some understanding of it - and I still don't
Homework was challenging - but with your help [ and the Photomonk's ] I did manage to do that each week and satisfy his criteria , and doing it taught me a lot too.
My main criticism of the course - I think the lack of practical work in the College - but that's not Jim's fault - it was dark most nights by the time we got there - so we couldn't get out . Maybe as well as there are too many participants for practical work. The last night with only 4 out of the 15 that started was good as Jim could work with us individually - and both George [ a 'graduate' from the earlier class ] and I commented how much this gave us confidence in our first attempts at Manual .
I've gained in confidence - hugely. At the beginning [ 19 Jan ] I was using the K-x on auto ALL the time - I was very scared going to AV and when the homework was done I went back to Auto . Now I can honestly say I don't know when I last used Auto I ~think~ on my wander in Glasgow recently, for a couple of shots and then it was back on Av.
There were occasions I was ready to throw my beloved K-x out of the window because of frustration , there was the night I so very nearly walked out of the class , but I've got there and I've learned a lot and I realise how little I do know .
My next aim is to be comfortable in Manual , and really learn how to use my Metz flash [ and I do NOT learn well from books] and come the summer I hope to return from Europe with lots and lots of wonderful pictures OH and of course I have to get to grips with Elements - I'm happy tweaking in iPhoto - BUT if I start using RAW then I need to use Elements rather than iPhoto.
let the education continue
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs
Posted 25/03/2010 - 05:00
Link
Well done for the substantial progress to date - I'm sure we will see much more of that too.
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4141 posts
16 years
Glasgow
OK we were supposed to be doing landscapes tonight - only 4 turned up for this session
However the rain interfered so Plan B was put into action
We went to the Hospital underground car park - took a pile of interesting pics there and then had a coffee break and took more at the College. Among other things he got me shooting manually tonight !! and we did some painting with light too . I have ended up with about 40 pics tonight - here's 2
1) in the car park and I managed a light trail
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/Anhelyna/IMGP0764copy.jpg[/IMG]
2) back at college - the building site
[IMG]http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a41/Anhelyna/IMGP0786copy.jpg[/IMG]
proud owner of a couple of cameras and a few bits and bobs