Film revisited at the ExCel centre

MarkD

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 16:33
Well this film has sat in my sadly neglected MX for the last 18 months since I got my K20.
I finally got round to developing it and scanning the neg.
I'd forgotten how grainy FP4plus was. But i quite like it for these.
I know they need cleaning up and some spot and scratch removal but I'd like a bit of C&C from our regular B&W users so I can improve.
Ta.
This one is crying out for a panoramic crop.

I like the lines in this one but it was a very sunny day and featureless sky. I think it needs a high contrast treatment?

I've already cropped this one. Does it need more contrast?

This is slightly cropped because I had to straighten it.....oops.

It was just the lines ans symmetry of this one that grabbed me.

.........all the gear, no idea!
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 17:12
That is grainy for FP4...but it's been a long time since I used any of that.

Nice to see these scans, though. The first one's my favourite.

Andrew
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

Steveninwyoming

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 17:29
Thanks for posting these. I was thinking of trying that film myself. Couple of things that come to mind are under exposure. Sometimes when there is that much sky it fools the meter inside the camera and you end up under exposed. This will cause the grain and contrast problems you are seeing here. Weak chemicals will do the same thing. Even if you just opened the package and mixed them. They have experation dates too. not just how long they have been mixed. Time and temp will also cause this. You havn't given enough info to pin point which one is causing it. My personal prefference is to develop slightly on the cool side 65-66 and a longer time. If all these issues can be explained away that leaves us with the film. Some film is just better than others.

Unless there was a special reason for the image I'd trash'em and start over. As for fixing them maybe someone here can do it digitally but I do not believe you can make an acceptable print in the darkroom out of these negatives.

Just my opinion,
Steven

MarkD

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 17:53
I must say I don't remember FP4 being quite so grainy but it is quite a while since I've used it. It may be something to do with sitting in my camerafor the last 18 months or possibly my scanner settings.
The negs look to be of good density so I don't think unserexposure is the problem and the chemicals were fresh.
In any case I quite like the grain for these shots as it gives the docklands a gritty look. I'd still be more than happy to use this for street photography but I'm glad I didn't take any portraits.
Me super, MX, LX, K5,DA 18-55WR, DA 17-70, DA 55-300, DA40 Ltd, FA50 1.4, Samsung D-Xenon 12-24,Samsung 100mm macro M50 1.7(x3), M28 3.5, M35 2.8, M100macro f4, M135 3.5(+others)

bwlchmawr

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 18:16
Mark,

It'll be interesting to see what Kris has to say if/when he sees these. I know he has lots of experience scanning negatives. I wonder if something happens in the scanning process to accentuate the grain? He'll know for sure!

I must say, having looked through again, I quite like the HP5 effect! Certainly suits the subject matter! I wonder if you'll keep using film?

A.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05

paulyrichard

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 18:30
FP4's ISO was 125 weren't it?

Were you stopped at all by any security 'numbnuts, Mark?
"Ifamericatoldthetruthforjustonedayitswholeworldwouldfallapart "
"All the technique in the world doesn’t compensate for the inability to notice." - Elliott Erwitt

http://paulyrichard.wordpress.com/

MarkD

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 19:05
Yes Pauly, FP4 plus is 125 ASA.
Like I said it was 18 months ago , before they started abusing Section 44, but nobody bothered me. Even when I was snapping aircraft on their approach to the Docklands Airport. I even snapped a couple of plod cycling past on their bicycles and all I got was a friendly nod.

I must say I was quite happy with most of my shots on this roll. I think I've become lazy since I went digital. You can snap away and have a quick look at the screen. If they're not right you can try again. Or even fix them when you get home as there is so much latitude with a Raw file. I think I took more care about composition and exposure compensation when I used film because the cost per frame was so much higher and it took up to a week to see the results. I think I'll stick some fresh batteries in my MX and blow the cobwebs off it again to try to lose some bad habits.
Last Edited by MarkD on 07/03/2010 - 19:07

womble

Link Posted 07/03/2010 - 20:56
Contrary to Andrew's kind words, I have not long started scanning slides/negs myself having bought a second-hand scanner from the forum. I am, however, somewhat surprised that FP4 has come out so grainy. I wouldn't have thought the 18 months in the camera would have been a problem as FP4 is supposed to be quite tolerant of bad treatment unlike some other films such as Delta 100. FP4 was my film of choice when I was at college in the 80s. It was so liberating to be using 125ASA film instead of 64!

Grain aside, I like the last two shots very much, but they could do with a bit of a tweak of the curves to up the contrast, IMHO.

Yes, dust off the MX. I spent part of this afternoon wandering around with my newly acquired KX trying out some shots in the woods. The 15mm lens on a FF camera is fun, although I had problems setting up shots without my shadow in the foreground!

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

MarkD

Link Posted 08/03/2010 - 13:35
Here's another one of a crane.
I'll be buying a new film today I think.

Pentaxophile

Link Posted 08/03/2010 - 13:42
I love that last one! Reminds me of that Scifi drama in the '80s which gave me nightmares as a kid.... 'Tripods'.
[link=https://500px.com/will_brealey/[/link]
Last Edited by Pentaxophile on 08/03/2010 - 13:43

Dangermouse

Link Posted 08/03/2010 - 15:38
It's just a pity that the cranes are obviously dead hulks - no cables or hooks visible. They're Stothert and Pitt DD2s which were the first to do away with outside ladders to reach the cab (there's a spiral staircase inside the central column instead) and the first to include a seat for the driver rather than expecting them to stand throughout their shift.

More information here.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.

MarkD

Link Posted 08/03/2010 - 22:04
That was quite an interesting article Matt. ( I never thought I'd say that about a crane article) They certainly are interesting looking machines. I didn't realise they were a Design Icon. If only I'd known a few weeks back I could have stuck it in the competition.

Dangermouse

Link Posted 09/03/2010 - 10:10
I'm a bit of an industrial archaeology nerd, so I tend to read anything I find about old dock machinery. I have some photos taken from the earlier S&P cranes preserved in Bristol but as I only had a 1.3mp camera phone at the time they're not great. At least one of the Bristol cranes is fully functional - they were preparing to use it to load deck seating back onto the Balmoral when I went on a tour a couple of years ago.
Matt

Shooting the Welsh Wilderness with K-m, KX, MX, ME Super and assorted lenses.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.