Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Farne Islands.

stub
Posted 28/06/2016 - 09:54 Link
Well, after all the hype I've heard over the years. I finally got the chance to pay the islands a visit on Sunday. I have to say that non of the hype is understated. What a fantastic photo opportunity.. Birds, seals and Dolphins all on show.

I have to say I'm not a wildlife photographer. So have limited abilities in this field. I struggled to capture Puffins in flight. On my K5ii. So If anyone can tell me where i'm going wrong i'd be most grateful.. My friend I was with had a nikon camera and seemed to be having no trouble what so ever. Tracking the birds flight on his D750.

I post a little selection of the images I did get.
Comment Image
ay for those that dont know it what a wonderful place..Comment Image
Comment Image
Comment Image
Comment Image
Comment Image
K-1Gripped K-1 ungripped K-5ii K7 Various lenses

Stuart..
1stEverPentax
Posted 28/06/2016 - 12:39 Link
What great images...No.1 in particular hits you right between the eyes...absolutely explosive!

Karlo
percy
Posted 28/06/2016 - 13:07 Link
1stEverPentax wrote:
What great images...No.1 in particular hits you right between the eyes...absolutely explosive!

Karlo

+1
stub
Posted 28/06/2016 - 13:27 Link
Comment Image

Just wanted to include this too..
bforbes
Posted 28/06/2016 - 13:44 Link
Really good set. And don't be too hard on yourself, those Puffins are fast little b---ers
ilovesaabs
Posted 28/06/2016 - 13:45 Link
How much blood did you lose?

Awesome shots, well done!
AKA Welshwizard/PWynneJ
Assorted Pentax/Nikon/Mamiya stuff
stub
Posted 28/06/2016 - 17:01 Link
ilovesaabs wrote:
How much blood did you lose?

Awesome shots, well done!

Ha ha... Luckily didn't get pecked at all. Believe it or not...Guess i'm just not handsome enough...lol

Stuart..
Posted 28/06/2016 - 19:30 Link
Strong and bold set... very punchy...

Best
jambodog6a
Posted 28/06/2016 - 23:03 Link
Fantastic

Stan J
davidwozhere
Posted 29/06/2016 - 00:19 Link
Wonderful set and a great experience for you too. Thank you for sharing these - you are being too hard on yourself!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd
stub
Posted 29/06/2016 - 06:55 Link
Yes a wonderful experience. But with my K5ii I failed miserably to track the birds in flight. All my images turned out to be out of focus. I used multipoint focus. Rather than single point. With longer lenses the set up just didnt focus fast enough. I was hoping for some pointers from the more experienced bird shooters here. As I obviously got it wrong. Or can @Pentax cameras just not perform in this mode of photography ?

Stuart..
Chrism8
Posted 29/06/2016 - 07:22 Link
Hi Stuart,

I use back button focussing ( AF set to C ) with a single point, takes a little getting used to, basically its a case of holding your thumb on the " AF " button on the back of the camera whilst having your trigger finger primed and ready to shoot, track the birds as normal and fire when ready.

Its worked for me on birds in flight and fast jets on the Mach Loop
Chris

www.chrismillsphotography.co.uk

" A Hangover is something that occupies the Head you neglected to use the night before".

-------------------------------------------------------------
K1 - Sigma 85mm F1.4, Pentax DFA 150 -450 F4.5 / 5.6, Pentax DFA* 24 - 70 F2.8

Samyang 14mm F2.8, Pentax DFA* 70-200 F2.8

K3iii + K3ii + K5iis converted to IR, Sigma 17 - 70 F2.8, Pentax 55 - 300 F4.5 / F5.6 PLM
bwlchmawr
Posted 29/06/2016 - 07:28 Link
These are lovely. I do like terns.
Northumberland is definitely on my list.
Much as I love Pentax DSLRs, they'd not be my cameras of choice were I to regularly shoot anything that moves. I notice the new K1's the same, according to a review I watched on youtube. They just can't seem to crack this problem although one review I read suggested the K3 might be a bit better.

This weakness doesn't bother me because I tend to photograph static scenes and subjects.
Best wishes,

Andrew

"These places mean something and it's the job of a photographer to figure-out what the hell it is."
Robert Adams
"The camera doesn't make a bit of difference.  All of them can record what you are seeing.  But, you have to SEE."
Ernst Hass
My website: http://www.ephotozine.com/user/bwlchmawr-199050 http://s927.photobucket.com/home/ADC3440/index
https://www.flickr.com/photos/78898196@N05
08tiger
Posted 29/06/2016 - 07:28 Link
They look pretty good to me,What lens did you use ?I am hoping for a trip up that way in August , wasn't going to carry the 300 over this year but might need to
C&C welcome.
Don.
stub
Posted 29/06/2016 - 07:48 Link
08tiger wrote:
They look pretty good to me,What lens did you use ?I am hoping for a trip up that way in August , wasn't going to carry the 300 over this year but might need to

I really dont have a long fast lens. I also had no idea what to expect. So I took the advice from users here who had made the trip. I was primarily using three lenses. Sigma 150-500 for distance and real close up work. Tamron 70-200 for bokeh. Pentax 16-45 for the attacking Terns. It's a fabulous experience which I will certainly be repeating..

Stuart..

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.