Falconry

matwhittington

Link Posted 01/06/2013 - 12:38
Hello all, I was at a Falconry centre last weekend - the English School of Falconry at Old Warden. A great place with some beautiful animals and the ability to get really close to them and have go at having them fly to and from your hand. Here's a bunch of pics of some of the residents. Picking up on John's earlier thread, these are all captive animals, and there is an additional pic within that thread of a European Eagle Owl from the same day:

1. Great Horned Owl. I think this was with the DA*200

2. Bald Eagle, doing his best to look like a Bouncer. This was with the DFA 100

3. This is a rather wonderful Kestrel called Bentley, also with the DFA 100

4. A bit of a monster! this is an Andean Condor, still not fully grown. He is massive and needs a decent level of wind to get airborne I believe. This was with the Sigma 100-300

5. Launching one of the Bald Eagles, also with the Sigma 100-300

6. The Daddy! This is a Steller's Sea Eagle, which I think is the heaviest Eagle in the world (although a Harpy Eagle maybe edges it for physical dimensions). Either way this fellah was awesome looking with a huge bill! Also with the Sigma 100-300

7. Barn Owl, with the DFA 100. Pretty much silent in flight

8. Great Grey Owl (this one is called Marshall) touches down. He was fantastically endearing, although not as heavy as his size might suggest as his feathers are very thick. This also with the DFA 100.

I hope you like these - as ever there are more on my flickr stream.

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link

DERYN

Link Posted 01/06/2013 - 19:59
Nice photos Mat.

I have always had a soft spot for falconry.

(who is old enough here to remember 'Kes'? Poor young Casper forgets to put a horse bet on for his big brother Judd!)

Pic number one is very nice.

Deryn

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 01/06/2013 - 20:30
Very nice set
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group

DaveHolmes

Link Posted 01/06/2013 - 20:48
These are great!
Looking forward to the falconry day we got on groupon now!!
Digital:
Pentax K5- Vivitar 19mm 3.8; FA35mm f2; D-Xenon 100mm macro f2.8; DA50-200mm WR...
Flash:
Yongnuo YN-560; Vivitar 285HV; Cactus V4 triggers...
Film:
Pentax-MX & M50mm f1.4; Spottie & 55mm f1.8; MG & M40mm 2.8...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/daveholmesphotos/

Stuey

Link Posted 01/06/2013 - 21:54
Very nice indeed
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

matwhittington

Link Posted 05/06/2013 - 17:46
Thanks all for the comments. I do remember Kes (having read it rather than seen the film); and Dave I am sure you will enjoy the falconry day - it was enough for me just to get so close to the birds let alone have them flying off your arms and doing their thing. Very cool

Cheers
Mat W

My Flickr: link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.