FA 100mm 1:3.5 - 1:1 matched adapter

Charlotte
Posted 04/03/2012 - 16:01 Link
I picked up a Pentax Macro as in the title I knew it wasn't a 1:1 macro but I wanted a decent sharp lens. This lens is very sharp and it's nice to be able get my photos in focus at long last.

I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with this lens and would know whether it is necessary to have the matched adapter (I don't know what it's called) or whether one of the screw in close up lenses or a raynox would work just as well.

I'm using it with extension tubes at the moment - it doesn't like my teleconverters - but the length of the lens added to the tubes is a bit too unwieldy for getting into nooks and crannies.

Thanks,

Charlotte
fritzthedog
Posted 04/03/2012 - 18:49 Link
Hi Charlotte

The beauty of the Raynox is that it works fine on virtually any lens - so the Raynox would be my choice

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Algernon
Posted 04/03/2012 - 19:30 Link
I've not used that lens, but I know it's made by and is
the same as the Cosina one.

I would expect that the Cosina adapter will be matched to
give the best performance, although tubes should be just
as good.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Charlotte
Posted 04/03/2012 - 20:08 Link
Thanks Carl,
I haven't used one and didn't want to spend money and find that the sharpness of the lens was compromised, so your input is appreciated.

Kind regards
Charlotte
Charlotte
Posted 04/03/2012 - 20:16 Link
Thanks for that Algi,
I thought that cosina/vivitar and pentax were all mixed together in some way during that era.

The extension tubes work well as obviously there is no extra glass in the way. It's just the length of the lens added to the tubes makes it a bit cumbersome and I'm worried about damaging the lens.


I'm wondering if my best bet - instead of all this faffing around (which has been fun) - is to sell off all my 2 existing manual macro lenses and all the paraphernalia to try to raise enough money to buy a second hand 'modern' pentax 1:1 macro lens.

Oooh I don't 'do' decisions.

Thanks again,
Charlotte
Mike-P
Posted 04/03/2012 - 21:22 Link
If you want the best IQ then personally I wouldn't put the Raynox on it, after all it isn't called a matched converter for nothing.

The converters do come up from time to time on Ebay but whatever you do don't go for one of those cheap "macro filters", they are not good at all.
Algernon
Posted 04/03/2012 - 21:27 Link
See your mail
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
sorted78
Posted 06/03/2012 - 18:24 Link
Quote:
I know it's made by and is the same as the Cosina one.
I never knew that. Was the 100/3.5 the only Pentax branded lens made by Cosina or were there others?

(apologies for the thread hijack)
DrOrloff
Posted 06/03/2012 - 19:49 Link
Charlotte wrote:

I'm wondering if my best bet - instead of all this faffing around (which has been fun) - is to sell off all my 2 existing manual macro lenses and all the paraphernalia to try to raise enough money to buy a second hand 'modern' pentax 1:1 macro lens.

Oooh I don't 'do' decisions.

Thanks again,
Charlotte
Macro is your passion so go for it. A 1:1 is definitely worthwhile (hugely so over a 1:2). Autofocus I think is not important. 100mm or thereabouts seems the right focal length. I will be selling my DFA100 very shortly in France so if you are interested let me know.
Edited by DrOrloff: 06/03/2012 - 19:54
darkskies
Posted 06/03/2012 - 20:51 Link
The DFA 100 macro is super, Charlotte. I'd take up Dr O's offer if I were you! I've already got one or I'd have it.
This space deliberately left blank.
Charlotte
Posted 06/03/2012 - 20:54 Link
Thanks Dr.O,
When you decide to sell please let me know as I'm definitely interested - I'm not sure I'll be able to afford it though.
Kind regards
Charlotte
Edited by Charlotte: 06/03/2012 - 20:55
Algernon
Posted 06/03/2012 - 20:59 Link
sorted78 wrote:
Quote:
I know it's made by and is the same as the Cosina one.
I never knew that. Was the 100/3.5 the only Pentax branded lens made by Cosina or were there others?
I'm sure there were others, but I don't know which ones. You would be amazed at the cameras and lenses Cosina actually made for other companies.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.



Proudly supporting Pentax User

Samsung Logo Asahi Pentax Logo