F 70-210mm vs DA 50-200mm
Posted 07/01/2008 - 14:14
Link
Quote:
Ive looked on review sites and they all seem to say that theyre just as good as each other, however the 70-210 is heavier.
Anyone here used both? Which do you prefer?
Im leaning towards the 70-210, mainly due to SRS having one used in stock, so its around £80 rather than the £120 I would pay for a new 50-200. Also, if I got round to purchasing an old SLR, I would be able to use the lens on that, whereas the DA I wouldnt, correct?
No.Ive looked on review sites and they all seem to say that theyre just as good as each other, however the 70-210 is heavier.
Anyone here used both? Which do you prefer?
Im leaning towards the 70-210, mainly due to SRS having one used in stock, so its around £80 rather than the £120 I would pay for a new 50-200. Also, if I got round to purchasing an old SLR, I would be able to use the lens on that, whereas the DA I wouldnt, correct?
N/A.
Yes.
The F is an excellent lens, and it seems the DA is pretty close.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 07/01/2008 - 14:47
Link
Thanks for the opinion George
Posted 07/01/2008 - 15:33
Link
I've used both and have the SMC-DA 50-200.
SMC-F 70-210 is heavy (really dense!) and usually without a hood. Really, really could do with a hood in bright light.
SMC-DA 50-200 is not much bigger than the 18-55 kit lens. Resolution, colour and contrast are all good. Hood is supplied They were going for less than £120 (Jacobs had them for £49 at one point ).
It's quite likely that the 50-200 will work very well on film (see my pbase account for the SMC-DA 16-45 on the Z1 film camera).
To be honest, it's a tough call. I personally find 200mm a little limiting - the SMC-FA 80-320 is a nice lens all round and goes well with the SMC-FA 24-90 that I use a lot.
Hope that doesn't confuse you even more!!
Matt
SMC-F 70-210 is heavy (really dense!) and usually without a hood. Really, really could do with a hood in bright light.
SMC-DA 50-200 is not much bigger than the 18-55 kit lens. Resolution, colour and contrast are all good. Hood is supplied They were going for less than £120 (Jacobs had them for £49 at one point ).
It's quite likely that the 50-200 will work very well on film (see my pbase account for the SMC-DA 16-45 on the Z1 film camera).
To be honest, it's a tough call. I personally find 200mm a little limiting - the SMC-FA 80-320 is a nice lens all round and goes well with the SMC-FA 24-90 that I use a lot.
Hope that doesn't confuse you even more!!
Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)
(For gallery, tips and links)
Posted 07/01/2008 - 16:36
Link
I have both, the 70-210 is very very heavy and is well balanced on the SFXn that it was designed for and not so great on a dslr. It is sharp but the contrast is lacking compared to the 50-200; as has been said it benefits from a hood and the correct rubber one folds back over the lens for storage, auto-focus is much much slower than the DA lenses.
Manual focus is truly horrible on all the F lenses.
I haven't used the 70-210 ever since buying the 50-200.
Ken
Manual focus is truly horrible on all the F lenses.
I haven't used the 70-210 ever since buying the 50-200.
Ken
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 07/01/2008 - 17:11
Link
Quote:
I haven't used the 70-210 ever since buying the 50-200.
Ken
Thats the kinda comment I neededI haven't used the 70-210 ever since buying the 50-200.
Ken
Also the fact that as you say, its heavier and needs a lens hood (more money), and the AF/MF is not as good as with DA lenses.
Thanks to all who helped, perhaps I will have the 50-200 soon, but i shall be looking out for bargains (Ive heard twice that companies have reduced the pentax/samsung versions down to below £50)
Posted 07/01/2008 - 17:23
Link
Quote:
Also the fact that as you say, its heavier and needs a lens hood (more money), and the AF/MF is not as good as with DA lenses.
Thanks to all who helped, perhaps I will have the 50-200 soon, but i shall be looking out for bargains (Ive heard twice that companies have reduced the pentax/samsung versions down to below £50)
I have to say that if you can get the 50-200 for under £100 then it probably makes more sense than buying a second-hand 70-210 which will be at least 16 years old.gartmore wrote:
I haven't used the 70-210 ever since buying the 50-200.
Ken
Thats the kinda comment I neededI haven't used the 70-210 ever since buying the 50-200.
Ken
Also the fact that as you say, its heavier and needs a lens hood (more money), and the AF/MF is not as good as with DA lenses.
Thanks to all who helped, perhaps I will have the 50-200 soon, but i shall be looking out for bargains (Ive heard twice that companies have reduced the pentax/samsung versions down to below £50)
However, my comments were made in relation to the K10D, not the *Ist bodies, which were very light. The 70-210 is not a bad match with the K10D, which is quite heavy. And it focusses quickly with the K10D, too.
G
Keywords: Charming, polite, and generally agreeable.
Posted 07/01/2008 - 18:06
Link
Yeah, that was my thinking as well
I'm going to go for the 50-200mm, im pretty sure.
Unless I find another alternative for a cheap price, and in such a case I will probably revive this thread
I'm going to go for the 50-200mm, im pretty sure.
Unless I find another alternative for a cheap price, and in such a case I will probably revive this thread
Posted 07/01/2008 - 18:37
Link
Quote:
Yeah, that was my thinking as well
I'm going to go for the 50-200mm, im pretty sure.
Unless I find another alternative for a cheap price, and in such a case I will probably revive this thread
Look for the Samsung equivelant, often at ridiculously low prices. I got mine for £39.00 brand new.
Yeah, that was my thinking as well
I'm going to go for the 50-200mm, im pretty sure.
Unless I find another alternative for a cheap price, and in such a case I will probably revive this thread
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 07/01/2008 - 18:40
Link
I got a 70-210 with something else from ebay and compared it to my 50-200, and found the following:
70-210 has slightly faster AF and hunts less, it is also fractionally sharper
50-200 has higher contrast and brighter colour, and is much smaller aand lighter. It also has nicer MF feel and quick shift focusing.
I kept the 50-200 since I only carry it when I'm travelling light and the 70-210 is nearly as big and heavy as my 80-320.
In contrast, my Dad kept the 70-210 and sold his 50-200 since he prefers the image quality and focusing speed.
70-210 has slightly faster AF and hunts less, it is also fractionally sharper
50-200 has higher contrast and brighter colour, and is much smaller aand lighter. It also has nicer MF feel and quick shift focusing.
I kept the 50-200 since I only carry it when I'm travelling light and the 70-210 is nearly as big and heavy as my 80-320.
In contrast, my Dad kept the 70-210 and sold his 50-200 since he prefers the image quality and focusing speed.
you don't have to be mad to post here
but it does help
but it does help
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


565 posts
18 years
North of Liverpool,
England.
Anyone here used both? Which do you prefer?
Im leaning towards the 70-210, mainly due to SRS having one used in stock, so its around £80 rather than the £120 I would pay for a new 50-200. Also, if I got round to purchasing an old SLR, I would be able to use the lens on that, whereas the DA I wouldnt, correct?