Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Eye-fi cards or wireless data transfer for Pentax DSLR

Pawel_Pikor
Posted 02/04/2011 - 18:10 Link
I was wondering if Pentax ever made any wireless transmitter for DSLR? Not for flash use but to send files to PC with out cables. Canon and Nikon are having this technology for very long time what about Pentax?! Is there anything that you can use instead? I found Eye-Fi cards, did anybody use that on K20D?
K20D+grip, 16-45/4, 28-80 PZ, 28-70/4, MG, ME Super
Algernon
Posted 02/04/2011 - 18:22 Link
I don't think Canon or Nikon ever had it.

The Eye-Fi works OK with Pentax cameras.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi
Pawel_Pikor
Posted 02/04/2011 - 18:50 Link
http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Products/Product-Archive/Wireless/25341/WT-3A-Wire...
http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/product/accessories/wft_e5.do

few links to canon or nikon. Regarding to Eye-Fi, how that works? Does it send photos at present time, or do you have to do it manually?
amoringello
Posted 02/04/2011 - 20:58 Link
EyeFi has some configurability, but generally it will send photos as soon as they are taken without your intervention.
Algernon
Posted 02/04/2011 - 21:26 Link
Well fancy that.... Nikon and Canon.... strange that no ones
ever mentioned that before

The do actually mention them briefly on this site which has a program to display Eye-Fi image as they download... I haven't used it.

There's not really much to know about the card it just works.
The Pro version is faster and will do RAW. The one I have
just does Jpg's.

Algi
Pawel_Pikor
Posted 02/04/2011 - 21:51 Link
Yep Nikon and Canon have this Wi-Fi for years but costs stupid money, circa around 400GBP, and Eye-Fi cards costs more or less 70-90GBP (ebay).
Sounds to me okay, cheaper, sending files without any intervention, still could be used as normal SD card, and much lighter then standard transmitter.
Can you take shots in RAW+JPG? That will hopefuly keep RAW on card and JPG's send to PC. Isn't that correct?
Algernon
Posted 03/04/2011 - 10:50 Link
RAW+JPG shouldn't be a problem. The non Pro card just watches for Jpg's.
The only slight problem using the card away from the computer as a normal card is that if you switch the camera on near the computer it will start downloading them all which may not be what you want.

I just use mine near the PC or in the garden. It's not worth risking wearing it out using it as a normal card away from the PC.

It's great for checking exposure and WB before a shoot, much easier than taking the card out and putting it into a reader.

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 03/04/2011 - 10:51
Pawel_Pikor
Posted 03/04/2011 - 14:17 Link
That's shame that you can't set profile or something like that, or protect it with password. Well still better solution then wireless transmitter for half grand Thanks for advice. Have a good day.
gillat
Posted 05/04/2011 - 06:31 Link
Pawel_Pikor wrote:
That's shame that you can't set profile or something like that, or protect it with password. Well still better solution then wireless transmitter for half grand Thanks for advice. Have a good day.

You have full control -- just enable Selective Transfer or Selective Share:

http://www.eye.fi/blog/selective-share

http://www.eye.fi/blog/control-what-leaves-your-camera

Thx --

Ziv.
Eye-Fi co-founder
Edited by gillat: 05/04/2011 - 06:32
Algernon
Posted 05/04/2011 - 09:01 Link
gillat wrote:
Pawel_Pikor wrote:

You have full control -- just enable Selective Transfer or Selective Share:

http://www.eye.fi/blog/selective-share

http://www.eye.fi/blog/control-what-leaves-your-camera

Thx --

Ziv.
Eye-Fi co-founder

Hi, Do you have a list of what Pentax DSLR cameras this works on ?
I don't think we are bothered about any Point and Shoot cameras on this Forum.

Algi
Pawel_Pikor
Posted 06/04/2011 - 14:59 Link
If you go to eye.fi website and pick SD card that you are after click to requirements and you can check compatibility with K7, Kx, K10, K20 and compact cameras. There is one "but", it looks that K7 and Kx been used for test. K20 and K10 shows:
Eye-Fi X2 Cards
known issues? The Pentax K20D has unknown results with Eye-Fi X2 Cards. Visit the Eye-Fi forums or contact support in order to find more information about this camera model.

Eye-Fi Classic Cards
known issues? The Pentax K20D is not compatible with Eye-Fi Classic SDHC Cards.
known issues? The Pentax K20D is not compatible with Eye-Fi Classic SD Cards.

I hope that help. Regarding to other members it seems that EyeFi works with K20D
Algernon
Posted 06/04/2011 - 17:24 Link
I would imagine that they would class a camera as incompatible if you can't tag a shot in the camera as a favourite? so that the software just uploads the favourites?

I just let mine upload all the JPegs. I've used it without problems on K20D and *istDS plus GX-20.

Even if the camera allowed Favourite Tagging I would never use it, you can't tell off the preview screen which shots are good and bad. Favourite Tagging is aimed at the point and shoot market.

That's why I asked the question above about Selective Transfer or Selective Share.

Algi
Edited by Algernon: 06/04/2011 - 17:26

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.