extension tubes
Posted 05/09/2008 - 16:24
Link
I have those ones too, I discovered them in their box in another box in a cupboard in the garage, used once around 1990 and forgotten about. I have yet to carry out the paint scrape mod. Why/how does it work?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 05/09/2008 - 16:33
Link
gartmore wrote:
I have yet to carry out the paint scrape mod. Why/how does it work?
I'm not entirely sure. I have yet to carry out the paint scrape mod. Why/how does it work?
There's no paint on the lens side of the tubes, though, so with the scrapes in place, the contact on the body can get all the way through to the lens.
What I don't understand at all, though, is why you'd need the scrape if there was already a seventh contact. There's no eighth contact on the body.
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.
Posted 05/09/2008 - 16:45
Link
ChrisA wrote:
What I don't understand at all, though, is why you'd need the scrape if there was already a seventh contact. There's no eighth contact on the body.
If the camera/lens electronics relies on electrical continuity between the K flange on both body and lens irrespective of any other contacts (perhaps as a common ground/earth/return - whatever you want to call it), painted/insulated tubes would need the paint/insulation to be scraped off to achieve that continuity, and it wouldn't matter where it was scraped from, just that it was of sufficient area to achieve a reliable connection.
What I don't understand at all, though, is why you'd need the scrape if there was already a seventh contact. There's no eighth contact on the body.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Posted 05/09/2008 - 17:11
Link
So, maybe a bit like 4p flash having three contacts and 5p having four, the body itself is a conductor?
Ken
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
“We must avoid however, snapping away, shooting quickly and without thought, overloading ourselves with unnecessary images that clutter our memory and diminish the clarity of the whole.” - Henri Cartier-Bresson -
Posted 05/09/2008 - 17:36
Link
ChrisA wrote:
7 actual contacts, and the paint-scrape modification. Did it already have the latter, or did you do it?
Look at my Jessop tube - only 6 contacts, and the paint-scrape mod was needed for aperture information to get through.
Think Peter just summed it up quite well, it was weird, they worked fine with my DA*'s, but wouldn't work with the Tamron 90mm Macro, there was a post in the troubleshooting section somewhere!
Unlocker wrote:
There does seem to be a lot of different versions of the Jessops tubes, mine cost £60 IIRC off ebay, but they do have all 7 electric contacts in place.
Now that's very interesting.There does seem to be a lot of different versions of the Jessops tubes, mine cost £60 IIRC off ebay, but they do have all 7 electric contacts in place.
7 actual contacts, and the paint-scrape modification. Did it already have the latter, or did you do it?
Look at my Jessop tube - only 6 contacts, and the paint-scrape mod was needed for aperture information to get through.
Posted 06/09/2008 - 06:29
Link
royd63uk wrote:
Yep those were the ones i thought i was getting.
Too late now but i will learn how to use the ones i have.
Roy
Hi RoyYep those were the ones i thought i was getting.
Too late now but i will learn how to use the ones i have.
Roy
I have a set of Jessops tubes with the contacts, I forgot to put them on my list in the classified, will let them go for £25.00. I think they also might need the paint scraped like what Unlocker has done though, they worked great on the *istD, but I haven't used them much with the K10D.
Cheers
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Brian.
LBA is good for you, a Lens a day helps you work, rest and play.
Posted 08/09/2008 - 22:52
Link
I paid about £30 for mine, and they DO have the electrical contacts, (they are Jessops incidently) I reckon £30 for yours was a bit excessive although if Unlocker has paid £60 for his then I must have got a bargain.
PS: I see Unlocker has also had to scrape off some paint to get them to work
WHOOPS Sorry folks, I managed to reply without realising there was a second page of replies, so missed all the fun re-contacts and paint removal, I found McBrians reply interesting, I had to scrape the paint to get mine to work on my istD, I remember I got the advice on this forum, from Mannesty if my memory serves me right.
PS: I see Unlocker has also had to scrape off some paint to get them to work
WHOOPS Sorry folks, I managed to reply without realising there was a second page of replies, so missed all the fun re-contacts and paint removal, I found McBrians reply interesting, I had to scrape the paint to get mine to work on my istD, I remember I got the advice on this forum, from Mannesty if my memory serves me right.
Posted 09/09/2008 - 15:16
Link
impotentspider wrote:
I remember I got the advice on this forum, from Mannesty if my memory serves me right.
You can still rely on your memory, you are correct. I think I was the first here to discover what (I thought ) the problem was, and the fix.I remember I got the advice on this forum, from Mannesty if my memory serves me right.
I thought, that I needed to scrape paint from where the additional contact should be. I'm pretty sure now that the paint can be scraped from anywhere on the mount face to create the required electrical continuity between lens mount & body mount.
Peter E Smith - flickr Photostream
Add Comment
To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.


4839 posts
19 years
South West London
There does seem to be a lot of different versions of the Jessops tubes, mine cost £60 IIRC off ebay, but they do have all 7 electric contacts in place.
7 actual contacts, and the paint-scrape modification. Did it already have the latter, or did you do it?
Look at my Jessop tube - only 6 contacts, and the paint-scrape mod was needed for aperture information to get through.
[IMG]http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t244/chris5gd/Technical/Imgp2649s-1.jpg[/IMG]
Pentax K-3, DA18-135, DA35 F2.4, DA17-70, DA55-300, FA28-200, A50 F1.7, A100 F4 Macro, A400 F5.6, Sigma 10-20 EXDC, 50-500 F4.5-6.3 APO DG OS Samsung flash SEF-54PZF(x2)
.