Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Extension Tubes

Kimbo
Posted 25/04/2006 - 04:52 Link
dreamingcjp wrote:
I might point the way to my web site, if the photo's are good enough.

Sounds like the computer side of things might be covered - in which case, digital is definately the way to go!

I still love shooting film as well though and I should think that the cheapest options would be tubes or close-up lenses for the MZ60.
Proper macro lenses are expensive but the 28-90 + tube / close-up would work perfectly on an *istDSLR too (not to mention all the other wonderful K-mount lenses that can be found quite cheaply).
I would imagine that a DL or DS + A or F series 50mm c/w close-up lens would be a cost effective and convenient way to produce high quality close-ups, suitable for web use.
Die my dear doctor, that's the last thing I shall do!
MattMatic
Posted 25/04/2006 - 09:39 Link
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet:

You need a sturdy tripod when using extension tubes, especially when you use all three. You'll want to set the smallest aperture (i.e. the biggest f-number) you can get, something like f22 to get everything in focus, and that usually requires a pretty long exposure (sometimes a few seconds). Set the camera to "Av" mode and choose f22.

However, if you want the shallow depth of field effect (where you have sharp focus in one small area), then use a wider aperture (i.e. smaller f-number like f4). But you must be extremely careful to focus accurately - take your time!

Getting good macro results requires a great deal of care and patience, but the results are hugely satisfying

Matt
dreamingcjp
Posted 25/04/2006 - 14:31 Link
I've bought my extension tubes. I think they'll do the job. I expressed my concern over the lack of depth of field with macro photo's and the man in the shop said that professional foody photo's are usually taken with a studio camera which has a tilting lense. He suggested a 'lensbaby'. Anybody ever heard of it, or used one? It's produced by a company called Intro 2020.

I've already got my tripod. I've got a suitable insulated 'shed' at the bottom of the garden. I'm going to shut out all light and light the subject artificially. I have spotlight but think I will use directed lamp light.

Thanks for the very useful hints on exposure.

I don't think I'll be spending money on a digital camera just yet. Do you really have as much creative control with a digital? I assumed that you don't which was why I decided to invest in an SLR.

Carrie
MattMatic
Posted 25/04/2006 - 14:36 Link
Carrie,
The Lensbaby you either love or you hate. Personally I don't like it too much It produces a very "arty" looking image, but I prefer genuine macro. And at around £70 I don't reckon I'll use it much!

With a DSLR you have as much, if not more, control than you have on your MZ-60. The advantages are (in your case): Instant review; Adjustable ISO rating (from 200 to 3200). And the quality is as good as, if not better, than pro film stock in a 35mm camera. (This doesn't apply to the compact digicams though which have a much smaller imaging sensor ).

If you haven't done so already, check out the sister site www.ephotozine.com (it's run by the same people as Pentax User)

(My 100% digital portfolio is: http://www.ephotozine.com/user.cfm?user=16488&showcase=off )
The "Techniques" section has a heap of info on lighting, macros etc etc:
http://www.ephotozine.com/techniques/index.cfm?subject=3

Hope that helps!
Matt
Ammonyte
Posted 25/04/2006 - 21:28 Link
Carrie,

I'd also suggest a Microfocussing plate for the tripod such as http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7514656473. It'll give you very fine control as you basically have to move the camera to adjust focus, and this allows you very fine control. I bought one from this seller and had no problems with delivery from USA.
Tim the Ammonyte
--------------
K10D & sundry toys
http://www.ammonyte.com/photos.html

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.