Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

EXIF problems continue...

go4IT
Posted 16/02/2018 - 16:59 Link
As I detailed in an email to Rick just now, I turned off my copyright info and submitted a photo to the gallery. No dice. Still missing make and model info, and of course, missing lens info as well. I remain convinced my Exif data arrive at PU perfectly in order.
johnriley
Posted 16/02/2018 - 17:39 Link
It can depend on many things including what processing has been done and how an image has been saved.

The special effect images I do from time to time, where many layers have been combined, tend to have no EXIF data. Likewise, if saved as "Save for web" the info is stripped out. "Save As" is a safer bet.

My images generally have all the appropriate data displayed on PU and then I can add in the lens.
Best regards, John
go4IT
Posted 16/02/2018 - 17:53 Link
A few months ago a fellow PU member put my exif data through his reader, and ALL the data registered perfectly. We concluded problem is at PU. I hope Rick can track down the issue I'm having. It is certainly consistent with each and every photo, however processed. (I rarely send in layered photos, and save all of them by exporting from LR 6 as jpegs to my desktop, whence I upload to PU. I have checked my Export dialogue box, and all is in order there.
layingback
Posted 16/02/2018 - 18:50 Link
go4IT wrote:
A few months ago a fellow PU member put my exif data through his reader, and ALL the data registered perfectly. We concluded problem is at PU.

Fear not the problem is most certainly at PU's end. I raised the issue years ago. Since then I've fixed the issue on my own website so I know it can be fixed. Suspect that PU site is based on the same original open source software
rick
Posted 16/02/2018 - 19:19 Link
The problem will be resolved, I don't know the history of the issue or the reason it hasn't been addressed before, but it will be fixed. I fully appreciate the frustration involved for the limited few experiencing it, but I've only just picked this up, I'm pretty certain that I've identified the root cause and it's just a case of confirming it is what I suspect it is and prevent it happening for future uploads.

Bear with me, I only want the same as you do, simplicity and ease of use while using the site.

Rick
Pentax KP / HD 18-50mm / Voigtlander Ultron 40mm f/2
Edited by rick: 16/02/2018 - 19:19
go4IT
Posted 16/02/2018 - 19:40 Link
Rick, I have full confidence in your ability to fix this problem, which as you say afflicts only a few of us. I appreciate your taking your valuable time to remedy this minor glitch in PU’s admirable system.
rick
Posted 16/02/2018 - 19:53 Link
Just removed the Copyright symbol using DXO Optics Pro, the EXIF data was corrected. Although I don't know what lens you'd used in this instance.

Link Removed

That confirms my suspicions, I'll look at seeing if I can prevent it happening in the future next week, but at least for now we know the probable culprit.

Rick
Edited by rick: 19/02/2018 - 15:31
JAK
Posted 16/02/2018 - 23:03 Link
rickhanson wrote:
Just removed the Copyright symbol using DXO Optics Pro, the EXIF data was corrected. Although I don't know what lens you'd used in this instance.

Test Upload

That confirms my suspicions, I'll look at seeing if I can prevent it happening in the future next week, but at least for now we know the probable culprit.

Rick

Well I've found it using FxIf ! It's a Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di-II LD
So the detail is there but isn't getting picked up by the site.
John K
Edited by JAK: 16/02/2018 - 23:04
rick
Posted 17/02/2018 - 08:01 Link
I’m aware that some lens data does exist within the EXIF (but not always), but it’s not in the native lens EXIF field which the current system reads. Hoping to sort all this out early next week.

Rick
Edited by rick: 17/02/2018 - 08:10
JAK
Posted 17/02/2018 - 14:47 Link
This table link might help identifying the lenses from the exif directly.
John K
rick
Posted 17/02/2018 - 14:57 Link
Cheers John, useful information.

Rick
go4IT
Posted 19/02/2018 - 18:53 Link
Thank you very much for your work on creating the fullest possible lens list Mike.

On the topic of missing camera/make info on PU, I must say that I very much doubt my copyright preset was or is the cause of the Exif showing only part of "RICHOH IMAGING COMPANY, LTD.", and none of the camera model, because this has been my problem for over a year now, whereas I started adding copyright info only about 8 weeks ago. As of two days ago, I do not have any copyright metadata (preset) in my system, but a couple of images I posted after removing my correctly-worded copyright preset show only "N/A" for the make/model. Further, it does not make sense, to me at least, that copyright presets should cause trouble with the make/model data in any case. But I leave it in your capable hands to get to the bottom of this problem. I have scoured three photography books trying to make sure all my Import and Export dialogue boxes are in order, and cannot find any fault in them. But I leave it in your capable hands to get to the bottom of this problem Rick. I realize I am one of only a few people experiencing this, and you must have many other issues on your plate to deal with.
JAK
Posted 19/02/2018 - 21:18 Link
Control characters can truncate the rest of the data present, or force things into the wrong fields. Ideally any characters that might cause that problem should be stripped out by the input routines. So if it is the copyright symbol, for instance, the software should strip it out. The usual way to do this is to only accept the normal alpha-numeric characters in the string and discard the rest. It's actually quite easy to insert a control character inadvertently so checking the input for validity is pretty important.
I'm not saying that this is the issue with PU and your exifs, but it might be.
John K
Edited by JAK: 19/02/2018 - 21:18
go4IT
Posted 19/02/2018 - 21:31 Link
Thanks for this explanation JAK. I never realized copyright info could affect the other items. But again, my copyright presets began being inserted into my metadata about eight weeks ago, whereas the same problem has existed for more than one year. So copyright preset could not have been causing my year-long problem. Or, to be "ad absurdum", my recent problem may have been caused by copyright, but my year-long problem, though identical, was caused by another problem entirely, until, one day recently, that cause became inoperative and the copyright cause became operative. LOL

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.