ESII meter behaviour

womble

Link Posted 29/05/2011 - 19:27
I have just got my ESII back but the meter isn't behaving as I would expect. When one presses the shutter button the meter needle drops then slowly rises back up to 1000. Changing the aperture have no impact on the needle.

My first thought was the batteries so I swapped them for the set in my ME-F (as I don't have any absolutely new batteries) but I get the same thing.

Is this likely to be a battery issue or is the camera malfunctioning?

Many thanks, Kris.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

smc

Link Posted 29/05/2011 - 20:14
It sounds like a malfunction. does the ES use only auto setting lenses. It might be worth checking the lens is functioning properly.

womble

Link Posted 29/05/2011 - 21:22
I tried two different SMC Tak lenses both of which work fine on my ES so I don't think it is that. Thanks for the suggestion though.

K.
Kris Lockyear
It is an illusion that photos are made with the camera… they are made with the eye, heart and head. Henri Cartier-Bresson
Lots of film bodies, a couple of digital ones, too many lenses (mainly older glass) and a Horseman LE 5x4.

My website

johnriley

Link Posted 29/05/2011 - 21:48
Could the camera be set to read battery power? I can't remember the exact procedure, but it might involve setting the camera to B and ASA100.
Best regards, John

Backhouse

Link Posted 30/05/2011 - 10:50
ESII has a battery check button next to the ASA/ISO rewind knob (needle should sit at the midpoint if batteries are ok), the old spotmatics were the ones you set to 'B' to check the battery level.

needle rising at the half press does sound like a fault to me, as if some capacitor in circuit is charging/discharging on the button push.

womble

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 01:16
I have put an absolutely fresh set of batteries in and it now seems to be working fine. According to the manual the batteries should last about a year and so if there is an unusual battery drain it should show up fairly soon. Fingers crossed!

I'm looking forward to giving the ESII a try out. It has a very swish "viewfinder blind" feature so that you can use it on a tripod etc. without light from behind upsetting the automatic exposure.

Best wishes, Kris.
Kris Lockyear

My website

TOZZA27

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 17:10
Lovely camera Kris - I gave the ES to my daughter but the 11 stays with daddy............................

Tony
K20D,*istD ( now a dedicated M42 digital ),K100D,MZ5N,P50,ME Super,Spotmatic 1000,Spotmatic,ESII,ES,H2.18-55 II,18-55,75-300 FAJ,35-80 FA,80-200 F,28-105 FA,Sigma 24-70 AF Aspherical,Sigma 28-300 Hyperzoom , Praotor II 500 M42,Centon 500mm mirror,and a few Pentax M42 Taks,super-Taks,smc Taks,A and M lenses.Benbo trekker,7dayshop monopod and a Lowepro rucksack.

I am now on Flickr which is nice !

Algernon

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 17:41
Don't forget that you can buy Alkaline and Silver batteries. I never bother with alkaline you can get silver quite cheap on ebay. Renata are quite good. It might even take Lithiums if one's on to of the other.

The Lithiums actually came out as a cheaper alternative to silver, but cost more now days.
Half Man... Half Pentax ... Half Cucumber

Pentax K-1 + K-5 and some other stuff

Algi

johnriley

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 18:17
These cameras are not really suitable for Lithium batteries. Even as late as the MX we were warned not to use Lithium.
Best regards, John

Algernon

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 20:00
They (3v Lithiums) came out around 1978/79 when the price of silver had shot up, so it was later than most of the Pentax cameras. I always thought they were introduced as a straight substitute. The ES took a 6v Silver PX28 which had a Lithium equivalent. I can't remember anyone saying it couldn't be used.

It seems the ESII takes 4 separate batteries so Lithiums aren't usable anyway. But they should be SILVER!

The MEF came out about 4 years later and I bought one an I was surprised that it said in the manual that Lithiums couldn't be used, possibly because of the batteries in the lens as well.

The Super-A manual says that they (Lithiums)can be used in that camera.

Oddly the ME-Super came with silver batteries, but the MX came with alkalines.

Algi

Algernon

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 21:38
Algernon wrote:
The MEF came out about 4 years later and I bought one an I was surprised that it said in the manual that Lithiums couldn't be used, possibly because of the batteries in the lens as well.

Sorry got a bit confused there.... It was alkaline batteries in the camera body that weren't recommended, the lithiums wouldn't fit because the 4 batteries are kept separate.

Algi
Last Edited by Algernon on 31/05/2011 - 21:38

johnriley

Link Posted 31/05/2011 - 21:39
The MX originally was supplied with Silver Oxide cells, but later with Alkaline , presumably as a cost reduction exercise.
Best regards, John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.