Visit MPB Visit MPB Visit MPB

Epson XP760 - impressed!

Posted 01/06/2015 - 11:15 Link
Just thought it was worth sharing my experience of my new printer.

My last one broke (basic home model - not really designed for photos but used for general printing, scanning etc) and the cost of repairing wasn't worth it. I was looking for another all-in-one printer to replace it, again not really looking for a printer to replace my photo printing needs (for which I use DSCL).

I ended up with an Epson XP760 at £120. It performs well for my needs and I figured that, at that price, I may as well opt for the 6-ink model and print the occasional one-off photos at home (for snapshots or when I didn't have enough to justify the postage from DSCL).

Having printed some photos at the weekend I am very impressed! I'm using PermaJet Oyster 271 and the combination gives really excellent results! PermaJet's website has some basic setting suggestions for their paper and Epson Claria inks and these work wonders. I'll still do my larger format and different paper printing at DSCL but for 7x5 album photos this is all I need. I can print the pictures frequently and enjoy them rather than saving them up for a bulk order at DSCL. I compared next to some lab prints and I couldn't see any difference.

PermaJet do a free profiling service for their papers so I may even do this to squeeze the best results out.

I was planning on installing a CIS system for home printing. I have found one that takes Epson OEM inks so have ordered it. I'll try the prints but it won't be the Claria inks so quality may suffer. If it does I will keep a set of the cartridges around for photo printing and use the CIS for documents etc.

I know this isn't a replacement for the more professional or semi-professional rigs that a lot of you use. However if someone is looking for a general printer replacement and doesn't need A3 then I can highly recommend the XP760.
You will only prise my 43Ltd from my cold, dead hands...
fritzthedog
Posted 01/06/2015 - 12:34 - Helpful Comment Link
Totally agree - and in fact Epson have been producing very credible photo printers for some time now - and their Claria inks take some beating.

I replaced my 3 year old Epson PX710 with the 760 a couple of months ago and have been perfectly happy with it and the A4 prints are excellent.

Just one word of caution - something I have discovered with my last 3 Epson photo printers - you can get decent results using 3rd party inks BUT unless you print very frequently - every one I have tried has a habit of clogging the jets eventually . Nothing so bad that I have not been able to clear the problem using the cleaning cycle but sometimes had to run it 3 or 4 times. Using the Claria inks - this has never been an issue and I stick to them now even though they are pricey.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more
Posted 01/06/2015 - 13:25 Link
Thanks Carl - useful info.

That's the reason I'm going for the OEM inks in the CIS. I've heard good things about some 3rd party inks but I don't want to increase the risk of blockages. The 6-ink bottles available from Epson are still dye inks but apparently have less fade-resistance than the Claria inks. I'll try and remember to report back on the print quality to see if the contrast and colour representation is as good.
python118
Posted 01/06/2015 - 18:30 Link
Hi, if you do go down the third party route with the inks i recommend colour direct from amazon i use them with my 710 you can not tell the difference in colour but a cheaper on the pocket

regards Dave
Posted 08/06/2015 - 09:31 Link
Well the CIS system was less fiddly to fit than I expected. I took my time and made sure I followed every step. The written instructions were appalling but the online videos from CityInkExpress were very helpful.

[seeing the guy manhandle the new printers to demonstrate does mean I would never buy a printer from them though!]

So far no problems. No blotching of ink or inconsistent printing. The colour balance was different compared the the original cartridges which I expected. I have created some quick profiles for printing which have got me close. In terms of detail and contrast it all looks good and comparable to the original (to my eye).

I am going to take PermaJet up on their profiling offer as it seems very straightforward. That should give me a real benchmark to compare but so far I am very pleased with the printer and the CIS.
FAT8BIKER
Posted 12/06/2015 - 12:15 Link
Hi
Where did you get the inks from, i have looked on the epson site an cant find them.
It does say they are for the L1800 and the number is T673 for all 6, but i still cant find them on the site.
Cheers
Dave
Posted 23/06/2015 - 11:22 Link
Sorry Dave

Been away so missed your post. I bought the inks from CityInkExpress:

link

I spoke to them beforehand and they confirmed they were not the Claria inks (in name anyway) and were for the ink tank printer they sell overseas with 6 inks. They are dye inks though and I am very impressed with the print quality.

HTH
FAT8BIKER
Posted 23/06/2015 - 20:23 Link
WobblyGoblin wrote:
Sorry Dave

Been away so missed your post. I bought the inks from CityInkExpress:

link

I spoke to them beforehand and they confirmed they were not the Claria inks (in name anyway) and were for the ink tank printer they sell overseas with 6 inks. They are dye inks though and I am very impressed with the print quality.

HTH

Thanks HTH i did find sellers but they where all over seas.
Cheers
Dave

Add Comment

To leave a comment - Log in to Pentax User or create a new account.