Entering the big bad world of DSLR

Deltaart

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 10:26
Greetings and saluations to all. I am a new Pentax k30 user and a new DSLR user. Having upgraded from a compact camera I felt compelled to give my experience of moving into the DSLR world.

I have used a fujifilm 2mp point and click quite happily for several years. Until I realised my partners nephew was taking better photos with his mobile phone. Cant have this I thought. Time to upgrade and get serious! It will be easy to upgrade and get a new camera... little did I know.

Over zealous sales people, deep pools of insipdly confusing camera reviews and bizzare techno babble.
Typical conversation; Me: "I need some advice on a DSLR"
Salesreptile; "I advise you to buy this camera from me. It has 16 mega pixies dancing in harmonious cross eyed 27 point auto phase with sideways stepping apertured for low contrasting hedgehogs"

Trying to get information from magazines or the web is very limited. High on tecno speak, low on practical advice. With all things being aproximatley equal in cameras, ie 16mp, auto tracking, they take photographs etc I set my own purchasing criteria.
1. Can I hold the camera comfortably.
2. If yes what other practical benefits does the camera have.

This narrowed my search to the Canon 600d and the Pentax K30. The K30 won because its weather sealed - very useful as I'm an outdoors person , in body shake reduction - meaning I dont have to buy special lenses to have this feature, lens compatibility and the fact my father has four screw mount primes that he's sending me.

Not a very elegant purchasing criteria but it works for me and Im very happy with the results. I thorourghly enjoy this camera. It makes me want to go out and take photos.
Note: This is an abridged version of my traumatic camera buying saga. Currently undergoing therapy by taking lots of wonderful photos.

Pentax K30, 18-55WR , Sigma Dl 100-300. (yes i know the sigma is soft and needs to be stopped down but it was inexpensive)

steven9761

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 10:45
Welcome, and enjoy!! BTW: can you please post some photos of these dancing pixies and the side-stepping hedgehogs??

MattMatic

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 10:53
Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Salesreptile; "I advise you to buy this camera from me. It has 16 mega pixies dancing in harmonious cross eyed 27 point auto phase with sideways stepping apertured for low contrasting hedgehogs"

That gave me a good chuckle for a Monday!

Matt
http://www.mattmatic.co.uk
(For gallery, tips and links)

AndrewA

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 10:58
Hello and Welcome to the Forum!
Andrew

"I'm here because the whiskey is free" - Tyla

PPG link
Flickr link

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 11:02
Welcome aboard Your 1st post made me smile this snowy Monday morning
Gotta say your "Not a very elegant purchasing criteria" Is a cracker and landed you with the correct camera.

ENJOY
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group
Last Edited by bettyswolloks on 14/01/2013 - 11:02

johnriley

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 11:07
It was an elegant buying decision, based on requirements. I've been looking for the hedgehog setting on my camera......
Best regards, John

bettyswolloks

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 11:10
johnriley wrote:
It was an elegant buying decision, based on requirements. I've been looking for the hedgehog setting on my camera......

You'll it find behind the left jiggalator toggle flange Mate
I'm only 4fut3, but I look a lot bigger from a distance

Nikon D600, 18-55, 50 F1.8, Sigma 70-200 HSM,180macro.
MZ-7, K-10,K-7, all gripped.
Pentax 35 28-80
Sigma 50 EX Macro.
A sexy little Q with 8.5mm Prime.
And a cup with a gorrila on it, it's also chipped a little, but holds tea perfectly well.

Ranfog Flickr Group
Last Edited by bettyswolloks on 14/01/2013 - 11:15

Stuey

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 12:29
Hello and Welcome

Not sure about hedgehog setting as long as you avoid hedgehog splatting with your car
K10D, K5 plus plenty of clueless enthusiasm.

My Flickr site link

simonkit

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 12:47
Welcome...personally i think you chose the best buying criteria there is, there isn't really a bad camera around these days and the importance of actually liking how it feels in use is often missed my many new owners, I think it's especially important and the main reason I chose Pentax too, together with the weather sealing

Simon
My website http://www.landscapephotographyuk.com

My Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/landscapephotographyuk

Find me on Google+ link

MrB

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 18:59
I think the hedgehog setting is the one in all the Custom Image menus that can give extra sharpness.

Philip

OldTaffy

Link Posted 14/01/2013 - 21:56
Deltaart wrote:

I set my own purchasing criteria.
1. Can I hold the camera comfortably.
2. If yes what other practical benefits does the camera have.

Internet banking? Speed dating?

Welcome to the asylum!

Martin
A few of my photographs in flickr.
Lizars 1910 "Challenge" quarter-plate camera; and some more recent stuff.

Deltaart

Link Posted 16/01/2013 - 14:52
thanks for the warm welcome. When I spot the pixies dancing on the hedgehog I shall certainly take the shot.

simonkit wrote:
Welcome...personally i think you chose the best buying criteria there is, there isn't really a bad camera around these days and the importance of actually liking how it feels in use is often missed my many new owners, I think it's especially important and the main reason I chose Pentax too, together with the weather sealing

Simon

I agree. I think if camera manufacturers spent a bit of time with the ergonomics of the cameras they might get better sales. Like buying a pair of shoes you want a comfortable fit.

AuraTodd

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 10:39
I have the Pentax K30 with a Dal lens, does that mean it's weatherproof?
Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link

milamber

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 11:07
AuraTodd wrote:

The camera is, but the lens isn't.

AuraTodd

Link Posted 17/01/2013 - 19:33
milamber wrote:
AuraTodd wrote:

The camera is, but the lens isn't.

I thought it was all weatherproof, bit worried now. Not sure if I should take it down the beach now. is there a lens that is weatherproof?

Always be kind to people

link

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Photographs-by-an-angel/262352847143059

link
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.