Ebay lens

geordie01

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 16:26
I bought a lens off a seller on Ebay who described as great with clean and snappy aperture,however upon receiving it it is any thing but the aperture is sluggish and anything but snappy.
I sent a message to the seller via Ebay within 30 mins of receiving the lens but he has not not responded even though the message has been opened.
I payed via paypal.and the seller has no returns on the listing.
Any of the wise one's on here know the course of action to take on this as it has not happened to me before?
I reckon I could get it repaired by Alan at AM Tech for about 45.00 but if I go down that route it makes it a dear lens.
Apart from that the lens is in good nick.
Thanks
G

johnriley

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 16:31
You don't say how much you paid for the lens, so whether 45 on a repair would be good value I can't say. It would also depend on how badly you wanted it.

As regards your seller, I'd give him a chance to reply and if you don't hear then open a "not as described" case. He will have a chance to reply, perhaps ask you to return the lens, perhaps offer a reduced price, or perhaps just refund you if it's low value.

Once you have opened a case, just follow the procedure and it will all unfold. Eventually, whatever the seller's attitude, you should get a refund.
Best regards, John

Helpful

johnriley

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 16:32
PS have you changed your eBay password yet? All users are being asked to, following a serious compromise of their security.
Best regards, John

robbieclark

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 16:46
'no returns' means no returns if all is ok. The seller is obliged to accept returns of faulty or poorly described items. It may have been mis-described in error or through lack of knowledge, or by deliberate deception. If you don't want it then ask to return for a refund. If you would rather keep it then ask for a partial refund due to being not as described. Some sellers get quite rude but any sensible seller would rather give a partial refund if mis-described. If you paid with paypal then you are in a strong position, just raise a case in ebay.

Helpful

geordie01

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 16:48
Yes John changed it yesterday and I paid 72.00 for the lens not overly expensive but I would rather not have to pay out more than half again for a repair.
Robbie I have never raised a case in Ebay before.
Last Edited by geordie01 on 22/05/2014 - 16:51

Aleks1298

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 17:12
Hey,
as was said earlier, simply open a case about "not as described" and wait for the seller to reply. If no reply within 7 days, eBay will look into it and will issue you a refund, and ask to post it back to the seller. But that is rather drastic as mostly people do reply when something is wrong, so don't worry just give it a day if no reply then open a case .

Unfortunately, it is rather common to buy a "perfect" lens and when it arrives it is mouldy and aperture not working.
Pentax K-5 and co.

Helpful

cabstar

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 19:54
robbieclark wrote:
'no returns' means no returns if all is ok. The seller is obliged to accept returns of faulty or poorly described items. It may have been mis-described in error or through lack of knowledge, or by deliberate deception. If you don't want it then ask to return for a refund. If you would rather keep it then ask for a partial refund due to being not as described. Some sellers get quite rude but any sensible seller would rather give a partial refund if mis-described. If you paid with paypal then you are in a strong position, just raise a case in ebay.

Depends whether it's a business or private sale.

Open an unpaid item dispute and tell them you want the 45 for a repair, most sellers would rather do that than refund pay for postage etc and then have to try and sell a faulty lens.
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 20:01
I recently bought a MKII Canon 70-200mmL f2.8 IS on Ebay for a decent price and when it arrived it was the MKI version. I opened a dispute with Ebay straight away and asked for a ridiculous 50% of my money back as a partial refund (as I didn't want the lens) and the seller agreed
. My Flickr

Helpful

nass

Link Posted 22/05/2014 - 23:37
Ebay is very good on things like this. As everyone has said, open a dispute and stick to your guns. I've had 5 or so cases over the years and been fully refunded every time.
... just another middle-aged guy with a hobby. I have an extreme macro learning site at extreme-macro.co.uk - Pentax-centric, your feedback and comments would be appreciated!

Helpful

fritzthedog

Link Posted 23/05/2014 - 08:50
I have more than once obtained a refund from ebay sellers who hide behind the words 'no returns' One in particular who flatly refused to refund and suggested I was either blind or stupid as his listing 'clearly stated' no returns. Generally you find those using these words either do not realise they are not enforceable or are just trying it on.

Ebay can be dreadful in some ways but when it comes to 'buyer protection' they shine and in my experience always rule in favor of the buyer should there be a dispute regarding the item description, condition etc.

Carl
No matter how many lenses I have owned - I have always needed just one more

Helpful

Hammerlee

Link Posted 23/05/2014 - 09:24
As others have said Ebay nearly always find in the buyers favour, if the seller doesn't find a satisfactory solution after 7 day you escalate the case and usually about 10 mins later you have your refund. One mistake I made once was to return the item to the seller at my expense and the very next day Ebay gave me a link to print off a postage label for free. Good Luck

Helpful

co049

Link Posted 23/05/2014 - 12:52
I bought a SA-1 focusing screen for my MX off ebay, when it arrived to turned out to be a SC-1 in a SA-1 box. I contacted the seller with no success then raised a dispute with ebay, after a week they found in my favour and the seller agreed to refund the cost of the screen when I retuned it. The only down side was I had to pay the cost of the return shipping!
Chris,

Pentax K1ii, K3, K-m & MX-1.
Pentax LX, MX, ME Super & MV.
"Old Skool" with the new!

Helpful

cabstar

Link Posted 23/05/2014 - 17:38
Usually when you have to return the item the money is refunded as soon as you put in the tracking number iirc...
PPG Wedding photography Flickr
Concert photography

Currently on a Pentax hiatus until an FF Pentax is released

johnriley

Link Posted 23/05/2014 - 17:54
The item has to be marked as delivered by the tracking service, after which the seller has three days to issue a refund. There has to be allowance for inspecting the returned goods, even establishing that the serial numbers are correct and so on. The seller can also escalate the claim to be decided on by eBay.

In the first instance though I'd contact the seller, through eBay messages so it's logged, and see if things can be sorted out. Opening a case locks both parties into a procedure and it could be avoided in many instances.
Best regards, John

geordie01

Link Posted 23/05/2014 - 18:09
Seller has responded saying to return the lens for a refund which is great.
However the lens is in such good nick apart from the slow aperture I have got a quote from Alan Marlow for about 40.00 to repair the lens so hoping that the seller will be happy to refund the cost and I will send it off to get fixed as every lens I have sent to him has come back great.
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.