eBay - cheap 2x lens convertor

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 17/08/2021 - 11:19
Wel, I tried one for a laugh (and as part of my LBA) and was expecting it to be a bit soft image wise.
10 inc delivery for a 58mm adaptor that fits on the lens and gives 2x multiplication of the iimage size.
I have asked to return it - see if you think that it's a good deal to be led to ....

Can you work out which is which?
Doens't even magnify!!!!
Grumpy GrandPa, Recently Retired.
K-S2 and suffering from a relapse and so now buying digital camera kit - started with a little Lumix TZ80 and now LBA has re-occured for my K-S2. Not sure where it will lead!
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

Nigelk

Link Posted 17/08/2021 - 11:40
Turned your lens in a much sought after "soft". If I wasn't so busy laughing I'd cry

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 17/08/2021 - 12:29
Nigelk wrote:
Turned your lens in a much sought after "soft". If I wasn't so busy laughing I'd cry

They have replied and claim that it is a manufacturing defect and will send me another one!

No thanks, it's junk. I'll have me 10 back and end the experiment there I think!
K-S2 and suffering from a relapse and so now buying digital camera kit - started with a little Lumix TZ80 and now LBA has re-occured for my K-S2. Not sure where it will lead!
Previous addiction has resulted in using Zeniths, Yashicamat, Chinons, Minoltas, Samsungs, Fujis, Cosina, Lumix, Canon, Nikon and Pentax etc etc - have tried most makes in the past 40 years. Love cameras - love taking photos even more

jeallen01

Link Posted 17/08/2021 - 19:43
"Performs" just like the house brand M42 one I bought Dixons around 1970 to fit the then very used & "semi-functional" Edixa Prismat that I got a year earlier!

Used it a very few times and then binned it!

OTOH, some years later I fixed the Prismat (I turned a cog with a missing tooth in the wind-on mechanism, around a bit so that that tooth was in a "dead" area and the wind-on then worked properly) and used that body for many years and cassettes of film
K-3 II, K-3 and a K-70 from SRS (having now relegated the K-30 /"K-50" to a backup body), & some Sigma and Pentax lenses (and a lot of old 35mm gear!)
Last Edited by jeallen01 on 17/08/2021 - 19:47

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 18/08/2021 - 00:13
There are several good ones to had off Ebay, such as the Pentax Rear Converter K T6-2X and their Rear Converter-A 2x-S. Being what they are there IS a bit of IQ loss but it is negligible with these two.
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 18/08/2021 - 08:41
davidwozhere wrote:
There are several good ones to had off Ebay, such as the Pentax Rear Converter K T6-2X and their Rear Converter-A 2x-S. Being what they are there IS a bit of IQ loss but it is negligible with these two.

Thanks. I understand that they will not work fully with HSM or PLM lenses - or have I got that wrong?
Last Edited by GrumpyGrandPa on 18/08/2021 - 09:31

takuman

Link Posted 18/08/2021 - 11:32
I have the Pentax Rear Converter K T6-2X sitting in my drawer, where it has sat for some years, I bought it to use on an old 300/4 Pentax. The results were awful. I have not used it since, prefer to manual focus.
Just passing thru

Helpful

JAK

Link Posted 18/08/2021 - 13:30
I'm not saying if the adapter is any good or not, but the shake reduction still believes the focal length to be 300mm and act accordingly when it should be told it's 600mm.

The Pentax 1.4X TC is excellent and automatically adjusts the setting to allow for the change in focal length.
John K
Last Edited by JAK on 18/08/2021 - 13:40

Helpful

Mike-P

Link Posted 18/08/2021 - 16:38
GrumpyGrandPa wrote:
Thanks. I understand that they will not work fully with HSM or PLM lenses - or have I got that wrong?

Even the Pentax 1.4x doesn't work fully with HSM lenses. When the converter was first released it worked great with Sigma HSM lenses but a while later Pentax released a firmware upgrade on all their newer bodies which quietly included something that killed the 100% compatibility.

Sigma screw drive lenses still work well with it though.
. My Flickr

Helpful

davidwozhere

Link Posted 19/08/2021 - 00:49
No, they won't work with PLM lenses - but I got the impression you wanted a 'cheap' one. The current 1.4 is a mortgage job!
Both the *istDS and the K5 are incurably addicted to old glass

My page on Photocrowd - link

Helpful

GrumpyGrandPa

Link Posted 19/08/2021 - 17:12
davidwozhere wrote:
No, they won't work with PLM lenses - but I got the impression you wanted a 'cheap' one. The current 1.4 is a mortgage job!

TYwas a cheap experiment that was interesting for all of 55 seconds!
Didnt expect much and got even less!!!!
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.