Eastergate bridge

jvs

Link Posted 14/11/2014 - 22:23
Late afternoon sun the other day and out looking for migrant birds. Didn't see much, but the views were good and this 16/17th century packhorse bridge seemed inviting. It's on the old packhorse trail from Huddersfield to Rochdale over Marsden Moor, which is National Trust land these days.
K-3 and either Sigma 10-20 or Pentax 18-135mm. All comments appreciated.

John

Magicman

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 04:41
A very nice group of photos John
Pentax : KP + K 5 iis : M 28 mm , M 50 mm , K 135 mm , DA F 100 mm , DA 12 - 24 mm DA 16 - 85 mm & DA 55- 300 mm .
Lumix : LX100

08tiger

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 05:54
Great set.
C&C welcome.
Don.

McGregNi

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 10:27
My favourites are 1, 4 & 7 ... Very nice to see such a wide range of angles and viewpoints of a beautiful and peaceful spot. I am very impressed with the cloud highlight control, and overall brightness balancing, and you have kept good depth in the shadows.

On a few though I do think a little extra edge to the ground lighting would help ... For example, in No 3 I would select the ground area and just pull up the highlights a little (the lit green grassy bits) to give a little extra punch there. I've enjoyed seeing these beautiful photos, thankyou!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver

bforbes

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 11:05
A good set John, of which my favorite is#1. Particularly with so much interesting detail leading onto the bridge, I agree with Nigel, a shade lighter foreground would not hurt.
Barrie
Too Old To Die Young

http://www.pentaxphotogallery.com/artists/barrieforbes
https://www.flickr.com/photos/189482630@N03/

1stEverPentax

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 11:08
Really nice set, particularly like 2,5,6, and 8.

karlo

alfpics

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 12:13
As above - a good set of photos. That is a lovely bridge. I love the lighting on no 3, but all are great!
Andy

jvs

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 12:22
Thanks, all, for the appreciative comments - I was actually in two minds about posting these, but am glad I did now! Thanks particularly to Nigel and Barrie for your suggestions re foreground - I'm not too hot on Photoshop selection technique, but have had a go and it's certainly lifted the foreground as you said it would. Hope I've not overdone it! What do you think? Here are 1, 3 and 7 again:

Thanks for your time and interest,
John

MrB

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 12:23
I suppose that the following might be a matter of personal taste: for me, the lighting and colour are not quite there yet in the processing. As has been mentioned, gentle lightening of the darker areas would enhance some of the images. Also the late afternoon sun could be expected to give slightly richer colours than I see here, particularly in 1, 3, 4, and 9.

Nevertheless, these are lovely scenes, and the chosen viewpoints, angles and compositions are interesting and enjoyable.

Cheers.
Philip

jvs

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 13:12
Thank you, Philip - I think your comment about richer colours is completely reasonable. It often needs an impartial eye to make a point that hasn't been picked up earlier. So here's another go with 1, 3, 4 and 9.

I think the effect is noticeably warmer, particularly on 4, and worth applying, so thanks for suggesting it!
John

MrB

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 13:46
That's the idea, John.

I think 9 is one in which I would lighten the landscape a bit to reveal more of the details there. The sun is still high enough to cause reflected light from the sky to illuminate the land. E.g.-

Again, just my opinion, of course.

Cheers.
Philip

McGregNi

Link Posted 15/11/2014 - 17:04
Thats a very nice version of the last one Philip, a good improvement .... also your new versions John, bringing up the ground has helped. My own idea was to limit the increase to the highlights only, so not to increase shadows or midtones much at all, to retain the depth this gives.

In terms of specific techniques this seems a classic case for a dose of a Photoshop adjustment layer ...

Here's a way to do it ...

On the layers palette, at the bottom, click on the 'new adjustment layer' button, then on the pop up menu choose 'levels' ....

Now an adjustment layer will appear above the backgound layer on the layer pallette, and this has a layer mask already (this is represented by the right hand rectangle on the layer bar). Also you will have the layers dialogue box floating.

With this method of selective editing there's no need to select - you are simply doing something to the whole image and them blocking the effect by rubbing out on the parts of the image that don't need it (in this case that is the sky areas).

So here on your No3 I would take the highlights input slider (on the lower right edge of the levels graph, a tiny white triangle), and pull it across slowly to the left, inwards ... this will increase the brightness of the highlights, the brightest parts of the image ... it will also cause the midtone slider (black triangle in the middle of the graph) to move to the left also, causing midtones to rise , but once you've placed the highlights nicely then just slide the midtone one back to the right - you can tweak away a bit back and forwards, but try and just raise the highlights without bringing up the mids too much (this is the main grassy areas and the lighter stone parts).

Don't even bother to look at your sky while dong this, or care what is happening to it.

Once you're happy with the grassy highlights, then click on the mask rectangle on the adjustment layer - this makes it active, and now choose the brush tool ... this will be used to brush a black 'mask' over the areas of the image that you do not want affected by your levels adjustment (the sky).

To make the colour of the mask black, hit d (to switch the colour picker to black / white) then use the X key to switch between white and black (you see this changing on the little square near the bottom of the tools palette). You are not actually painting black paint at all - the black is simply a representation of a mask covering, and white is simply a representation of a mask uncovering.

Now with the black selected use the brush to wipe over your image sky areas - you will see the highlights jump back down to the original level as you paint ... also you will see black appearing on the layer mask rectangle on the layer palette.

If you see black paint coming onto the photo, don't worry - its just that the background layer is selected, not the adjustment layer ... simply hit ctrl-z to undo the painting, then click on the adjustment layer mask rectangle again - now the brush movements will appy to the adjustyment effect only.

You won't need to be particularly precise for this sort or masking, a few sweeps around and about, taking more care around the horizon, will sort it quickly. Then you'll end up with your sky as it was originally, and just the highlights on your ground given that lovely extra sparkle!
My Guides to the Pentax Digital Camera Flash Lighting System : Download here from the PentaxForums Homepage Article .... link
Pentax K7 with BG-4 Grip / Samyang 14mm f2.8 ED AS IF UMC / DA18-55mm f3.5-5.6 AL WR / SMC A28mm f2.8 / D FA 28-105mm / SMC F35-70 f3.5-4.5 / SMC A50mm f1.7 / Tamron AF70-300mm f4-5.6 Di LD macro / SMC M75-150mm f4.0 / Tamron Adaptall (CT-135) 135mm f2.8 / Asahi Takumar-A 2X tele-converter / Pentax AF-540FGZ (I & II) Flashes / Cactus RF60/X Flashes & V6/V6II Transceiver
Last Edited by McGregNi on 15/11/2014 - 17:09

jvs

Link Posted 16/11/2014 - 15:08
Thanks for the positive feedback, all, and especially to Nigel for the tutorial! This is something new to me, so I'll get practising!
John

davidstorm

Link Posted 16/11/2014 - 16:52
Your images are coming along in leaps and bound John, particularly the compositional element, which is lovely on these photos. It is a great set and a feast for the eyes in what looks to be a fantastic location.

The processing in also improving in terms of a more balanced overall look to your shots with greater detail visible. There is scope for further improvement here, some of the areas look slightly lacking in contrast and as MrB says there is more detail hiding in the shadows that could be exposed.

There are a lot of very good points with these shots, I've mentioned the composition but also the exposure control is excellent and the colours are true without being overblown.

Well done and keep posting them!

Regards
David
Flickr

Nicola's Apartments, Kassiopi, Corfu

Some cameras, some lenses, some bits 'n' bobs

jvs

Link Posted 16/11/2014 - 18:15
Thank you, David! Coming from you, that's a great reassurance that I'm doing something right and is tremendous encouragement for someone still relatively new to photography. There's so much to learn, but being able to share with seasoned photographers on this forum and get constructive feedback is a massive help. Thanks again!
John
Add a Comment
You must be registered or logged-in to comment.